android
Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Default no brand mp3 players on ebay - quality?

ebay has tons of <$50 mp3 players. Does anyone know if they are okay?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-05-2009, 04:05 PM

They're all certainly not OK at all. You have no warranty, no support, no firmware upgrades, no nothing with those Chinese no-name players.

For less than $50 you can also get a Sansa Clip, which is a very nice player, one of my favorites.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

plus the sound quality is bad and the build is not good at all

Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paker View Post
ebay has tons of <$50 mp3 players. Does anyone know if they are okay?
I know this is a month old, but just incase you are still searching..

1. I agree do not buy these types of players from Ebay. I bought one of those ipod clones out of pure curiosity, paid 25.00 for it. It worked 2 days! If you are really interested in checking out these Chinese players, check Amazon, or Target, or Walmart if you are in the States. A lot of these very same players are being sold in these stores now. This way you, you have some sort of buyers' protection.

2. Even better, check out name brands that you can now get at similar prices and of course with greater stability. I missed out on the Sansa Clip deal Walmart had a few months ago because I was going by looks alone. I thought it was just another cheap player. Then I come to recently read that it is supposed to be one of the best sounding players out there! DUH... Walmart had the 8gb for like 39 or 49.00

3. Amazon is a great place to shop for players esp. if you do not mind buying refurbished or used. I own several Chinese players and several branded players. I bought my Chines players new and had problems with some of them. I bought most of my name brand refurbished or used: 2X 16gb Samsung Q1s (eoutletcanada $79), 1 x 16gb Sony 729 (Ebay $80 + $20 shipping fron UK), and recently 1 x 8gb Samsung P2 (Amazon $77). I have never had a problem with any of them except that the P2 was delivered having had a loose casing, but since I got it through Amazon, I can return it for exchange or refund. By the way.. It was the only of the 4 players I got that even looked used when I got it. So, so long as I can get a warranty backed by Amazon or another respected company... I do not have problems buying refurbished or used. Contact the seller and asks very specific questions about the items and check user reviews.

Trust me, the extra $30-50.00 you spend is very much worth the peace of mind!

Last edited by Keeper; 08-09-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

agreed. don't buy those. they are pretty much pure shit.

if you're looking for cheap, you could buy a sansa clip or a stick player (like sansa express, and those samsung ones).

Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

if u want cheap player under $50, can choose Sansa Clip

Old 09-18-2009, 02:07 AM

IMO buying an mp3 player should be an investment.. Save money and buy a great mp3 player, It would last you for years to come plus you have a great little nifty device at your pocket.

But If you really want a $50 mp3 player, I agree with everyone. Get a Sansa Clip

Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 PM

I wouldn't call a flash player that can't be upgraded an investment. Especially not if it has an internal battery that can't be replaced easily. I've been using a 2GB "Omnitech" player from Staples ($20) for the last six months. Sound quality seems perfectly adequate, it holds an awful lot of music, it has a display, and best of all, it runs on a replaceable AAA battery. So, if I'm halfway up a mountain and the battery runs down, I just swap in another. I don't have to carry a second MP3 player, or some kind of USB charger to keep the music going. One minor down side, though: it bricked. Fortunately, I'd bought a second (intending to give it as a gift), and found enough information and software to help me copy the firmware from the good player to the bad one.

The player I _invest_ in will use upgradeable flash memory, like multiple SDHC slots. It'll run Rockbox, or at least support most audio formats including lossless. It'll have a connection for a wired remote, and a battery that can be easily swapped, so I can carry a spare when on the road. And, hopefully it'll also record in high quality lossless from line level inputs. S/PDIF I/O would be nice.

As to the original question... my experience with the Staples player suggests that it is smart to buy locally (from a big box retailer that has good customer service) and have an over-the-counter warranty. I've also heard there are players formatted to look like they have more memory than they really do. So your 4 GB player could turn out to be 1G or 512M. The Coby players sold by Walmart and others look cheap, but reviews are positive (at least compared to the number of folks that have bricked an Omnitech like mine). I bought a basic 2 GB Coby (no display) for $12.95 locally on sale here in the wilds of Canada. Pretty hard to beat that bang for the buck. [edit] I just stuck a battery in the Coby... it works. And, usefully (at least if you listen to a lot of very long tracks like DJ sets or audio books), it resumes at the same point after shutting down.

Last edited by bassbinotoko; 10-31-2009 at 11:12 PM.