android
Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default what is replay gain and how does it work

Can someone tell me what replay gain does on the fuze?

and how it works?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Replay gain basically scans the audio files and adds tags telling the player how much to automatically adjust the volume.

In album mode, each album has the same overall volume.
In track mode, each track has the same overall volume, regardless of how loud a track is in relation to the rest of its album.

For a more thorough explanation, linky.

Last edited by Dhraakellian; 07-14-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Will it work without rockbox? Does album or song play all at the same volume? Should I adjust the pre gain? Its set at 4.5db.
I dont have rockbox , I have V-2, just got it today and couldnt find replay gain in the manual.

Thanks
13Dp

Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13dp View Post
Will it work without rockbox? Does album or song play all at the same volume? Should I adjust the pre gain? Its set at 4.5db.
I dont have rockbox , I have V-2, just got it today and couldnt find replay gain in the manual.

Thanks
13Dp
This might help you out some.....http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...hread.id=23310

Old 07-25-2009, 08:40 AM

After spending hours with MP3 Gain normalizing my collection, Sansa comes out with this. Oh, well; better late than never.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Of course, my Zen Mozaic does this for you, with something they call "Smart Volume".(granted, the Mozaic doesn't sound as good as a Clip or Fuze) This would be a nice addition to the Clip, and a lot less hassle for the user than the Replay Gain option on the Fuze (which I haven't bothered with since I don't shuffle all with it).

Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 AM

"Smart Volume" is certainly not very "smart", compared to Replaygain or MP3Gain. I've listened to it a bit, and it really doesn't work well - like your average dynamic compressor. I've also read it uses a lot of battery life (can't verify that since I only tried it for a short time). But on the other hand it's a simple setting on Creative players, with no external apps or knowledge about Replaygain involved. I think it would be better doing it right on a universal level, the Replaygain/MP3Gain treatment, instead of some proprietary solution that only works on one player.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
"Smart Volume" is certainly not very "smart", compared to Replaygain or MP3Gain. I've listened to it a bit, and it really doesn't work well - like your average dynamic compressor. I've also read it uses a lot of battery life (can't verify that since I only tried it for a short time). But on the other hand it's a simple setting on Creative players, with no external apps or knowledge about Replaygain involved. I think it would be better doing it right on a universal level, the Replaygain/MP3Gain treatment, instead of some proprietary solution that only works on one player.
I don't doubt that it's not as good a solution. But I'm using that player primarily to shuffle all through the aux-in on the stereo at work, where not being suddenly blasted by a much louder song is more important, and overall fidelity is less important, given all the background noise.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM

This feature is pretty awesome and I've gone through my music library selectively choosing which I want to apply gain too. It is a bit unpredictable though and I've added gain to songs I'd rather not have gained. Anyone know how I can delete the replay gain data on some tracks? I've tried both media monkey and winamp to no avail!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:47 PM

Do you mean Replaygain or MP3Gain?

Use Foobar2000 to remove Replaygain info from files, it's the easiest way. Otherwise you could use commandline tools like metamp3.

To remove MP3Gain info, just undo it with MP3GainGUI.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Do you mean Replaygain or MP3Gain?

Use Foobar2000 to remove Replaygain info from files, it's the easiest way. Otherwise you could use commandline tools like metamp3.

To remove MP3Gain info, just undo it with MP3GainGUI.
Cheers, I will try Foobar2000, I meant ReplayGain btw.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You're supposed to scan all your files with replaygain, not just certain ones. Doing that will cause annoying jumps in volume. Rather then remove the values, just select each file in foobar, and rescan them.