android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 AM

Smile Tuff-Luv Enhanced Polycarb Crystal Case for Creative Zen X-Fi

I just received my Tuff-Luv Enhanced Polycarb Crystal Case for Creative Zen X-Fi.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GOXYBQ

Pros:

* The only transparent plastic case I found specifically for the Zen X-Fi that covers and protects the screen. The transparent plastic cases available for the older Zen are too thin for the thicker Zen X-Fi.

* Openings for the new navigation buttons, power/lock, new external speaker, microphone, mini USB and headphone jack.

* Thin polycarbonate doesn't add much bulk.

Cons:

* ~$30USD is a little steep for something that must have cost a few dollars to manufacture and ship from Asia.

* Mine came with a tiny scratch already in the screen area because of i-nique's crappy manufacturing packaging choices.

Conclusion:

* Beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully, when/if Creative discontinues the original Zen, there will be more protective Zen X-Fi protective case accessories available.

* Now I can shove my Zen X-Fi into my pants pocket, backpack or briefcase without worrying about scratching the hell out of it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 PM

From what I understand; although polycarbonate is impact resistant it is actually pretty easy to scratch.

I haven't been using my X-Fi a whole lot but when I do I just stick it in my pocket. I have a cheap screen protector over the screen area though.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

Well my leather cover cost me just as much as that, and I firmly believe a screen protector majorly covers up for all that a plastic cover does, since Hirudin mentions its easy to scratch too... Do review the product after you've used it for a while.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:46 AM

I've had my X-fi for almost a year now... No scratches at all... Its kinda surprising to me Because I keep it in the same pocket as my car keys, I have dropped it... the only thing thats scratched or worn is the back... and That doesnt bother me... I could have a scratch that goes around the screen... and it wouldnt bother me, as long as it didnt overlap the screen in any way

Old 08-01-2009, 05:04 PM

haha i have the same thing too! the only bad thing is that it doesnt cover the buttons. When you take off the case, it leaves a square ring of residue on the x-fi itself. Overall, its really good protections but like you said it scratches pretty easily.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venality View Post
I've had my X-fi for almost a year now... No scratches at all... Its kinda surprising to me Because I keep it in the same pocket as my car keys, I have dropped it... the only thing thats scratched or worn is the back... and That doesnt bother me... I could have a scratch that goes around the screen... and it wouldnt bother me, as long as it didnt overlap the screen in any way
Thats true the screen quality is pretty good, although I haven't tested by myself. What is more worrying than that, is the dust that accumulates under the screen, which can very well be seen when the player isn't switched on or on low brightness. The dust accumulated is even more in case there is an empty slot such as for the SD card or the charger. I'd want to know if anyone has come up with a solution yet...

Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 AM

Hmm, Again... I don't have that problem, I have the spacer in the SD slot that came with it

Old 08-14-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePimp View Post
Well my leather cover cost me just as much as that, and I firmly believe a screen protector majorly covers up for all that a plastic cover does, since Hirudin mentions its easy to scratch too... Do review the product after you've used it for a while.
After a month or so of the Tuff-Luv Enhanced Polycarb Crystal Case bouncing around in a small top compartment of my backpack along during travel with a cheap digital cam and in my pocket...The screen area of the case is pretty scratched up.

And it does affect viewing quality.

Additionally, the polycarbonate case does distort the Zen's LDC screen in the light, but I don't notice it so much in the dark. Viewing the Tuff-Luv Enhanced Polycarb Crystal Case at an obtuse angle, I see a rainbow distortion that screams poor quality plastic molding.

I'll try the thin, replaceable Zen X-Fi screen protectors next.

Thanks, JunglePimp!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeek View Post
After a month or so of the Tuff-Luv Enhanced Polycarb Crystal Case bouncing around in a small top compartment of my backpack along during travel with a cheap digital cam and in my pocket...The screen area of the case is pretty scratched up.

And it does affect viewing quality.

Additionally, the polycarbonate case does distort the Zen's LDC screen in the light, but I don't notice it so much in the dark. Viewing the Tuff-Luv Enhanced Polycarb Crystal Case at an obtuse angle, I see a rainbow distortion that screams poor quality plastic molding.

I'll try the thin, replaceable Zen X-Fi screen protectors next.

Thanks, JunglePimp!
That tells us a lot about the quality of the Tuff-Love case. You have mentioned that the screen-area of the case is scratched, which would of course making the viewing experience not-so-good, but is the screen of ZEN bearing any scratches due to the cover? All in all I think your review sort of reaffirms my belief that polycarbonate crystal covers aren't the best equipments to use for protection.

Thank you Biggeek, for the review.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 PM

It's counter intuitive, but one way or another soft/stretchy stuff is very scratch resistant. For instance the soles of my shoes are more or less smooth. It should be no surprise that transparent material that stretches makes an excellent screen protector.
I've never tried the stuff in the video, called "invisibleSHIELD". In my experience the cheap screen protectors work just fine.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:25 PM

Wow great video, Hirudin

Is that screen protector same as the one offered by creative, if yes, then how is it stretchy?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM

invisible shield is overpriced. (but works )
get the same for less at bestskinsever.com
i got a complete bodyskin for my zen (not x-fi tho) there and it's friggin amazing.
better and cheaper (6.99$) than the tuff luv one...and not so ugly. because you can barely see it.

Tags
case, plastic case, protection, transparent plastic case