android
  #1  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 AM
klezmer41 klezmer41 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 45
Default S series vs A series

How are they different? Did S come out to replace A? Which one is a better buy?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Dreamnine Dreamnine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland, EU
Posts: 3,225
Default

A has a larger screen, some of them offer Bluetooth and noise-cancelling features. The S has an FM tuner and SenseMe.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
CDMP3PlayerFan CDMP3PlayerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klezmer41 View Post
How are they different? Did S come out to replace A? Which one is a better buy?
From what I've read, the A-Series is supposed to be the top of the line, while the S-Series is the level below that. The following is a link to the Wikipedia page which has information on the entire Walkman line, from the original cassette Walkman to present, including the current line of Walkman players: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkman.
__________________
In Use
Player: Sony NWZ-E465 (16gb Flash Player)
Music Management Software:
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
codedivine codedivine is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 34
Default

Well, can you specify which particular model numbers you are looking at?
A72x has 2.4 inch screen but no FM, no noise cancellation, no senseme, no bluetooth.
A82x = A72x + bluetooth.
S63x = 2.0 inch screen, has FM, has senseme, no bluetooth, no noise cancellation.
S73x = 2.0 inch screen, has FM, has senseme, has noice cancellation but no bluetooth.

So they are all small variations. From reviews, all of them sound good. Pick the features you want and be careful with sony model numbers, they can be fairly confusing.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 15,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
From what I've read, the A-Series is supposed to be the top of the line, while the S-Series is the level below that. The following is a link to the Wikipedia page which has information on the entire Walkman line, from the original cassette Walkman to present, including the current line of Walkman players: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkman.
The S Series is now considered a top of the line player, since the S63X/73X series is premium. I had a A829, and the S6239, and the S639 was the better of the 2 (I really didn't use the bluetooth, and I didn't need the larger screen for videos).

The E series is bottom of the barrel, so I'd say to steer clear of that 1.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 AM
klezmer41 klezmer41 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The S Series is now considered a top of the line player, since the S63X/73X series is premium. I had a A829, and the S6239, and the S639 was the better of the 2 (I really didn't use the bluetooth, and I didn't need the larger screen for videos).

The E series is bottom of the barrel, so I'd say to steer clear of that 1.
Why do you say that the S639 is better than the A729/A829?
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-26-2009, 06:56 AM
Dreamnine Dreamnine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland, EU
Posts: 3,225
Default

It's meant to have the best SQ of all.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-26-2009, 07:20 AM
klezmer41 klezmer41 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
It's meant to have the best SQ of all.
How does the S639 compare to the S739? I think I'll get one of these since I like the small size for working out, and better podcast support will be good for audiobooks in the car.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 07-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Miyazaki's Avatar
Miyazaki Miyazaki is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AU
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klezmer41 View Post
How does the S639 compare to the S739? I think I'll get one of these since I like the small size for working out, and better podcast support will be good for audiobooks in the car.
They're identical apart from the fact that the S739 has noise cancelling.
__________________
Players:Sansa Clip 1gb (Black), Toshiba Gigabeat T400 (White)
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 15,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klezmer41 View Post
How does the S639 compare to the S739? I think I'll get one of these since I like the small size for working out, and better podcast support will be good for audiobooks in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazaki View Post
They're identical apart from the fact that the S739 has noise cancelling.
Correct, and the S739 seems to be selling for the lower price. I'd say to get the best deal you can for either 1. I will amend my previous comments by saying that the S63X/73X series would be perfect if it went to 32gb, and I'm adding that it needs to go gapless. Those 2 things would make it PERFECT!!!
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 AM
klezmer41 klezmer41 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 45
Default

Where is the S739 for sale?
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 15,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by klezmer41 View Post
Where is the S739 for sale?
I'm not sure at the present time, but Best Buy has the S6239 on sale for $149.99 ATM:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218073824551

Good deal, even if it doesn't do gapless (yes, I'm still in love w/this player).

PS: It's 1 of the best sounding players you can buy - PERIOD!!! And the iem's it comes w/are great as well.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.