android
Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 AM

Default D2 not reading 16gb SD card properly

I recently took out my 16gb SD card from my D2 which was working fine.

When I put the SD card back in my player recognises it, scans it and updates the database but for some reason only includes about 30 of the 3900 music files into the players database. All the others are not present.

If I go into the D2 Ext folder all the music files are there but as soon as I try to select one the player freezes and needs to be reset.

Is there any way to get the player to include the files in the database?Do I need to reformat the card?

Thank
Brett

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 AM

I would certainly try the Panasonic formatting app here

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 PM

I have this problem too. The panasonic formatting app will only keep your files from being out of order and the names corrupted. The problem you're having doesn't sound like a issue with poorly formatted cards or poorly formatted internal memory. I've spent about $130 on memory cards for this thing and the problem is once you swap the cards in and out a number of times or do something else to update the database many times the thing will just go nuts. Here's a hint either just use the internal memory with no card or just use memory cards. You can clear the internal memory when that happens and it will fix it. Just be sure not to have the card in there too or it will clear that too. People claim to be able to fix it by messing with it a bunch but there's no proof any of that works. What does work? clear the internal memory.

Personally, I'm only using the internal memory now and only putting the few stuff I want to listen to on it. I'm using my zune for everything else now even though it has a spin down problem with a couple long(16 mins and longer) tracks in a row. They're both junk if you ask me. Once these die I don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe creative or even goto the evil ipod?

Anyway, good luck

Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 PM

Try turning it off before switching out the card. A bit of a hassle, but it has never failed me when using my "movie cards". I load one to four movies to a card (ranging from 512 MB to 2 GB) then swap them out always with the D2 off, I've never had ANY trouble. All the cards are SanDisk and I've been using them in my digital camera, Wii, Printer, and D2 for a long time (D2 only recently, but everything else for awhile) I reformatted them all wiht the panasonic tool so that they just work better, they write and read faster after using that thing on em.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
Try turning it off before switching out the card. A bit of a hassle, but it has never failed me when using my "movie cards". I load one to four movies to a card (ranging from 512 MB to 2 GB) then swap them out always with the D2 off, I've never had ANY trouble. All the cards are SanDisk and I've been using them in my digital camera, Wii, Printer, and D2 for a long time (D2 only recently, but everything else for awhile) I reformatted them all wiht the panasonic tool so that they just work better, they write and read faster after using that thing on em.
I don't know if that ever worked for me. I always turn the D2 off before switching out cards. I still have that problem if I swap it out say 20-30 times for my music. This happens even if I never changed anything on the cards and D2. The cards I put in worked before without a problem so there's something going wrong. It might last a few days it might last a few weeks but it always ends up acting stupid like that. All I know is to repair it the only way is to clear the internal memory. I've tried changing the language multiple times, turning it on and off in different ways and all that. Still have the problem. I don't think there is anything wrong with my transcend cards. I believe It's just a major bug that Cowon doesn't care, or have the know how to fix. I have a hunch if they handled the cards the same way as the creative labs ones did this problem would not exist. I haven't heard of these strange problems with the creatives. Maybe someone that has one of the new creative DAPs would know.

I'm just kind of ticked off though that this leaves a major part of my DAP not working properly if I use another part with it(memory cards)

Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 AM

found a thread at http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29364 where one of the users discusses what he thinks the problem is. I think he is right. Scroll untill you get to dmitankin 's post.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 AM

i had this problem before about 3 weeks after buying the d2...

back your cards up and format them all..(with the panasonic tool )
and reload your fw on the d2 and it should be fine......

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=42288

Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM

i wiped everything and reloaded it....took a long time but it worked - i also i wanted to update my library anyway. both internal and SD card now being recognised.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettreading View Post
i wiped everything and reloaded it....took a long time but it worked - i also i wanted to update my library anyway. both internal and SD card now being recognised.
i think we could get away with just reloading the fw on the d2 without formatting the cards.
but formatting the cards is a better idea.. they say you should always format before loading
any memory card.... just to make sure and i havent had a problem (with the sd cards)since..

nice one!! mate..

Last edited by captincaveman; 07-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.