android
Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM

Also,does anyone know if there's a usb multi-input wall charger? like a charger that can handle multiple (3 or more) USB devices at once...so I don't have to buy like 4 or 5 usb chargers..for my P3/Z5/iPhone/Fiio E5/etc..

Also, does the P3 have momentum scrolling/realistic physics now? I've gotten used to my iPhone...it'd be great if the P3 could do it too...
PC Audio: Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 - Energy RC-10 - X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro - Onkyo Integrated Amp

Last edited by DeusEx; 07-26-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use a powered 7-port hub to charge several USB devices at once. You'll want to check it's total power output though.

The P3 lists will move pretty fluidly with your touch, but won't spin on with momentum past a page worth of items like the iPhone/Touch will. You can touch the position bar on the right to get the list to scroll quickly though.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

or if you have one u could use a Rockband hub, it uses standard usb cables

Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 AM

The ABi review states:
"Related to this, it also lacks kinetics. For instance, when flipping though a list it doesn’t feel “analogue” and doesn’t have momentum. Flicking a list on the P3 will simply do a “page down” or “page up”. In the latest 2.10 fimware update this behavior has become more kinetic and responsive, but it doesn't quite redraw fast enough and still appears a little choppy on larger redraws such as on the main screen. I imaging that this will be improved over the next few firmware updates. "

Why is it crossed out then?...

Olley, what 7-port do you use?

Also, can you turn haptics off when you don't want it?
PC Audio: Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 - Energy RC-10 - X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro - Onkyo Integrated Amp

Last edited by DeusEx; 07-27-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM

bump

Old 07-28-2009, 12:37 PM

Hey Deus,

I was just checking out Bestbuy, search "USB Hubs" and that'll get you to what you need. I found a Belkin 5 port Hub for $105.00 CDN. So really for something like that, all you'd need would be a wall charger AC/USB adapter, connect that to the line in USB and then connect everything else to to the line-out ports.

But like Olley has noted, you will need to check output power. You also may be able to find one that has an AC 120V adapter or otherwise depending on the model.

Also about that bit that's been lined out, that's a review of Firmware 2.10 and earlier. In Firmware 2.14 (the latest) they've updated the scrolling action to make it more fluid.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 07-28-2009, 01:36 PM

Mojo, those hubs are either networked or computer usb splitters, do you mean buy only one wall charger, and connect the splitter to it? The splitter is $20...not too bad, but I thought with USB abound everywhere, it would be cheaper...also something like the Bluelounge sanctuary is nice (but $120)...

Would something like these work? i just have to buy an iPod wall charger for the whole thing, right?
http://www.networktechinc.com/hub-usb.html
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...06&dcaid=17902

"But like Olley has noted, you will need to check output power. You also may be able to find one that has an AC 120V adapter or otherwise depending on the model."

can you explain this?

But have they added momentum scrolling yet? Being more fluid is just improving the interface, momentum scrolling is like what they have on iPod Touch/iPhone, where one flick speeds up at first and then slows down, as if it was like flicking a ball...

Old 07-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Mojo, those hubs are either networked or computer usb splitters, do you mean buy only one wall charger, and connect the splitter to it? The splitter is $20...not too bad, but I thought with USB abound everywhere, it would be cheaper...also something like the Bluelounge sanctuary is nice (but $120)...

Would something like these work? i just have to buy an iPod wall charger for the whole thing, right?
http://www.networktechinc.com/hub-usb.html
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...06&dcaid=17902

"But like Olley has noted, you will need to check output power. You also may be able to find one that has an AC 120V adapter or otherwise depending on the model."

can you explain this?

But have they added momentum scrolling yet? Being more fluid is just improving the interface, momentum scrolling is like what they have on iPod Touch/iPhone, where one flick speeds up at first and then slows down, as if it was like flicking a ball...

Yup, those links you provided, those types of set-ups would definately work to charge multiple devices assuming you have a Ipod USB/AC wall plug charger.

"Mojo, those hubs are either networked or computer usb splitters, do you mean buy only one wall charger, and connect the splitter to it?" - Correct. Using your first link as an example. The male port of the USB you would connect to your Ipod USB wall charger (and plug into the wall). The other 4 ports you would use for your other electronic devices your trying to charge. The same could be used for a more expensive HUB, just because the HUB is supposed to be used to connect various computer electronics doesn't mean it can't just be used as a "USB Power Bar" as well.

can you explain this? - Some hubs (depending upon the model and how many female ports they have) come with internal power supplies. These types of USB hubs usually come with a standard 2 prong or 3 prong wall charger (A 120V AC adapter) if its a high end type HUB. Essentially you can disregard that part of the statement.

"Checking output power" means USB hubs have maximum output power they can deliver to other devices (essentially USB splitters are like electrical power bars, but for USB's). Depending on the voltage draw from the devices your powering, certain USB hubs can only support a maximum current before you'll blow an internal fuse within the hun or short circuit the hub altogether. What we mean is that you check that the voltages of the products that are going to need to be charged, aren't more than the USB hub can handle. But considering your charging small electronics, you should be alright with pretty much any HUB

But have they added momentum scrolling yet? Being more fluid is just improving the interface, momentum scrolling is like what they have on iPod Touch/iPhone, where one flick speeds up at first and then slows down, as if it was like flicking a ball... - In firmware 2.14 (somebody else correct me if I'm wrong) As far as I know (from various sorces I've come across) the momentum feature has not been implemented as well as on the Touch/IPhone. As far as I know the flicking motion is still much more mechanical in the P3 than on the Touch, and still only has one top speed regardless of the "flick power" (though it does have the same slowing motion). It may be an update that Samsung is working on for the future, but right now it isn't as good as the ITouch/IPhone.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Last edited by MojoPatrol; 07-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Thats y i use the rockband hub it has four slots and can plugged into any usb port

Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM

I use the Belkin Mini Surge Protector to charge my P3:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=A1688833

It's just great.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodD View Post
I use the Belkin Mini Surge Protector to charge my P3:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=A1688833

It's just great.
Wooo! That is one snappy looking piece of hardware!

Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM

ya thats a great one. im just saying that its a free one that comes with rockband. and the wall charger part came with my wireless head phones

Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM

PodD, I'm looking for more than 2 chargers, although I guess I could connect a splitter to one of those ports...but then again I could just buy a $2 iPod wall charger and do the same thing..

Mojo - thanks for the detailed responses - the USB devices that I will be charging will include atm:

Samsung P3
iPhone 3GS
Fiio E5
Navigon 7200T GPS

If I get one of the $10 splitters I listed and hook it up to a $2 USB iPod wall charger, will it be fine? Would it be too much? Thanks!
Also, would the devices charge slower than their usual times, as there are 4 devices drawing off power off one "hub"...

The reason I'm doing this is that my PC has a lot of peripherals (mice, keyboard, audio DAC, webcam, etc) hooked up to its USB ports, so I would rather have a separate setup to charge all my other USB devices...on a budget

Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM

P.S. Also, I'm looking to get a case for my P3 today...only silicone costs less than $10, but there are a bunch on Amazon, so I don't know which one I should get...anyone have tips?

http://www.amazon.com/Durable-Flexib...812506&sr=8-31
http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Rubber-...812432&sr=8-12
http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Black-Si...812507&sr=8-35

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
charging will include atm:

Samsung P3
iPhone 3GS
Fiio E5
Navigon 7200T GPS

If I get one of the $10 splitters I listed and hook it up to a $2 USB iPod wall charger, will it be fine? Would it be too much? Thanks!
Also, would the devices charge slower than their usual times, as there are 4 devices drawing off power off one "hub"...
After reviewing those two links, I figure your best option would be to grab the $8.00 networktechinc splitter, since it has over current protection. Considering that all the players you've listed don't have a heavy power draw (especially the E5) you shouldn't short circuit the Hub, but the over current protection is definitely good insurance just incase the power draw is heavier than I think it is.

But regardless, with a cheaper USB hub, you may notice an increase in charge times but since I can't find any real technical specs on the hub, its hard to say. But once again, for 8 bucks, try it out and see how it works. You have the over current protection just incase the hub can't handle the power load, but I'd imagine things should work just fine.

As one precautionary measure I might advise doing some tests first. I mean powering 1 device, then 2 devices, then 3, then 4. That way you can get a feel for how the hub can hold up and whether its increasing the charge time.

As a side note on covers: Personally I'm a fan of rubber and silicone covers because they're good at absorbing the shocks from impacts, I have one for my E280 and my LG Dare and found that it's great for if I ever dropped the devices (my phone falls out of my bag almost daily, its definately been a great investment).

Leather and fabric cases are decent for shocks as well if they're padded. Leather/Pleather can be slightly more durible than silicone and rubber against sharp objects (I've got a small nick in one of my cases from it landing on some sharp rocks). Silicone cases are also usually made to fit tight to the player and due to their higher coefficient of friction, are usually good if you have a tendency to leave things in places where they might fall off, or if you leave your MP3 on your dashboard frequently, that sort of thing.

Really it comes down to what your trying to prevent, but all those cases look pretty decent.

Last edited by MojoPatrol; 07-29-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Nevermind about networktechinc, doesn't look too reliable - I think I'll go with Newegg (much faster shipping too)...173 choices...help! Something under $10..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

Yeah, I think i'll go Silicone (although with the higher coefficient of friction it might be hard to slip out of my pocket at times..)....what I meant was did anyone here buy silicone cases from Amazon? I mean, they don't have any reviews on the products...where do you guys who have silicone cases buy them?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Nevermind about networktechinc, doesn't look too reliable - I think I'll go with Newegg (much faster shipping too)...173 choices...help! Something under $10..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

Yeah, I think i'll go Silicone (although with the higher coefficient of friction it might be hard to slip out of my pocket at times..)....what I meant was did anyone here buy silicone cases from Amazon? I mean, they don't have any reviews on the products...where do you guys who have silicone cases buy them?
Meh, practically all silicone cases are created equal. It's pretty hard to mess up really, plus if its on amazon you can usually beleive its pretty reputable. That is the one downside of silicone, I prefer pants that fit well and at times it's a real pain in the ass trying to get my phone out of my pocket

Looking at that list I'd say either the PPA 1721 ($9.99), the I-Rocks IR-4610 ($12.99), Zonet ZUH2214 ($13.99), or the StarTech ST4205USB ($16.99)

I know only one of my recommendations is under $10 dollars, but personally for $13 I think the I-Rocks is a really solid choice considering it has an internal power converter and can easily handle the stardard north americal 120V current. But the PPA looks like it would be a solid choice as well. Or the other two, but they're a bit more expensive.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM

the I-Rocks IR-4610 looks good. I think I'll go with it + apple usb wall charger..damn shipping $5..

Actually, how's this Belkin? It's only $8...and no.1 hub seller on Amazon..

What case do you use? I think I'm going to pick up a silicone for $10...but leather does look nice too (and won't stick)

Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
the I-Rocks IR-4610 looks good. I think I'll go with it + apple usb wall charger..damn shipping $5..

Actually, how's this Belkin? It's only $8...and no.1 hub seller on Amazon..

What case do you use? I think I'm going to pick up a silicone for $10...but leather does look nice too (and won't stick)
Well the silicone case for my E280 was made specifically by SanDisk for the Sansa. Makes sense though, those products are hard to find. As for the one for my phone, its a no-namer. Both work great though. The leather would be nice too. Really that's a personal choice.

As for the Belkin, I checked it out. The reviews on Amazon look decent, I checked out the Newegg and couldn't find any voltage specs on it. All around I think either would work well. Belkins make very reputable products and I'd imagine you wouldn't have any problems. Of course I am an overly cautious person, so personally I'd still go with the I-Rocks, it gets five "eggs" on the website and for $5 bucks more, at least you've got some rock solid tech specs.

Either way though, I'd think you'd be pretty safe.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 PM

FYI: I just found out that the Belkin doesn't come with a power supply...will that make a difference? The irock's shipping is $6...so it would be $20 total..