android
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

Let us know how you get on - I'm sure it'll get resolved. At least you have a player as backup.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Will do. I'm busy in the morning tomorrow (working at a philharmonic rehearsal), but will call B&H around noon (it's 6:30 PM here right now)...
PC Audio: Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 - Energy RC-10 - X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro - Onkyo Integrated Amp

Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
Now no battery bars left (still on, though?) So that was ~5 hr 10 min...this sucks...

Do I still wait for it to drain completely? Battery icon is starting to blink...
Lithium Ions don't have a memory effect (unlike Ni-Cads). In fact you shouldn't run them down. Their biggest drawback is age. They consistently lose charge almost yearly. Sounds like it's a dud battery or a dud player drawing charge when off or Samsung used old battery stock.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit373 View Post
Lithium Ions don't have a memory effect (unlike Ni-Cads). In fact you shouldn't run them down. Their biggest drawback is age. They consistently lose charge almost yearly. Sounds like it's a dud battery or a dud player drawing charge when off or Samsung used old battery stock.
Yes but running it down once at the start to test it is entirely appropriate.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 PM

Hey guys, (FYI I've run down battery twice atm)

B&H sent me a reply saying that they're sorry, and if I want refund/repair/replace. The 8GB black is OOS online for now, so I asked if I could get the 16GB black as a replacement. Said I was in a hurry (I actually am, since I need the player for a trip next week or so, and I can't have it dying in 4 hr), and trying to resolve this as fast as possible. Hope they say yes, or I won't have a player for next week...

Used it again today (yesterday 3 hr charge), at philharmonic rehearsal, and it's on its last bar already after roughly 4 hr, but I had it on 10 brightness since it was in the morning, and 10 volume, and used the mono speaker for ~30 min for demoing some stuff)....still pretty bad...
PC Audio: Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 - Energy RC-10 - X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro - Onkyo Integrated Amp

Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

They'll have to replace it or refund you - are you going to return it to them, since there isn't any point in keeping it?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I called them, they said that it was indeed OOS, and i would have to pay the difference to get the 16gb P3...(since I got the 8GB for $130..instead of $149, so that would be $70..)...but they said they would check with their supplier to see if they could give me a discount. If not, I'll see how long i'll have to wait to get a new black P3, if not, then I'll return. I did hear that Samsung is coming out with new players already...I'm not one to keep multiple devices (as opposed to headphones, IEMs, amps, speakers, etc..), as multiple sources complicate the matter of content synchronization...at most 2 players (I already have a iPhone that is a decent source), I was thinking a P3, and maybe later, a Zune HD...

How do the new Samsung players look? When are they out? The P3 is the nicest player I've seen so far (I'm into the sleek, modern, brushed-metal look..)

Old 08-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

The R1 doesn't look that interesting, the new M1 looks quite good. On their Korean website they're aiming the R1 at women and the M1 at men.

With my 2 players I'm waiting until a 64GB flash player comes out which may not be until 2011.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 AM

Comments about exchanging P3 vs getting another new Samsung? When are the new players coming out?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Banned

The next couple of months I think. I would stick with the P3 (get it exchanged) if I were you.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
The next couple of months I think. I would stick with the P3 (get it exchanged) if I were you.
Agreed. Besides when the new ones come out, if your so inclined, you could probably sell your P3 or Ebay or any sort of local selling site for close to retail value since they're so hard to come by. But getting a new one now is better than sitting on your hands. Release dates will most likely be around christmas time, but that's just for the Itouch 3rd Gen and the Zune HD, Samsung is usually far more cryptic about their release dates.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Okay then. b&h has yet to reply. By that time, I'll probably get an iTouch 3G or Zune HD....over the new samsungs....so the P3 would most likely be my backup player (then again, it does sound much better than both probably...so maybe it'll be my quality music player, while the other one will be my features/wifi player)

Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 PM

the best price is $195 they can give me for the 16gb...I told them to go back and price-match dell...

Also, I'm looking for a portable speaker I could use with the P3 (and also my iPhone), the built-in mono speaker's volume is not lud enough for sharing music (during orchestra rehearsals and such, since instrumental music is pretty quiet) and has horrible sound quality (not its fault, it's like 1/2 inch small..)...anything under $30, with a P3 or iPhone sized form-factor, that'll offer much louder/better sound? I have no idea about the current portable speaker field....

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

I can't really help you with the speaker, I have Bluetooth speakers I've had for a couple of years, but I'm guessing they would be more than $30.
Any fairly cheap PC speakers with their own power supply should be good for the P3.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM

I meant portable speaker (iPhone/P3 form-factor). Anyone else feel free to chime in! It doesn't have to be bluetooth, since I know the quality will suffer...

Anyone try the Fiio offerings? Like the Walkbox?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I meant portable speaker (iPhone/P3 form-factor). Anyone else feel free to chime in! It doesn't have to be bluetooth, since I know the quality will suffer...

Anyone try the Fiio offerings? Like the Walkbox?
I second the montion for Fiio's. While they do have that certain repulsive air of "made in China" a vast majority of their products contain electronics from Texas Instrument (you know the guys that make those crazy calculators) and their products are built to last. They're well built and for the money, definately a bargin. Plus there have been a couple of write-ups here on ABI about their portable speakers that have nothing but good things to say about them (at least for the price range). I think you'd probably be safe with one. For the price I'm actually going to get one for my office. Should do just fine.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Hmm, so now it's between the WalkBox or the S3...I trust Fiio, the E5 is a pretty good amp for $20...speakers for portable use only (I have half-a-grand bookshelves in the study)

Also, apparently the best B&H can do is $195..free shipping....for the 16gb, since 8gb is still out...I'm pushing for $180 - is that good?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Hmm, so now it's between the WalkBox or the S3...I trust Fiio, the E5 is a pretty good amp for $20...speakers for portable use only (I have half-a-grand bookshelves in the study)

Also, apparently the best B&H can do is $195..free shipping....for the 16gb, since 8gb is still out...I'm pushing for $180 - is that good?
Pushing for the $180 is good. If they're only willing to offer you (really) a $4 dollar discount (the 16GB is usually $199.99) plus like, I dunno, optimistically $10 dollars in shipping costs. That hardly seems like a bargin. At least at $180 plus free shipping your legitimately saving money for their/Samsung's screw up plus you get 8 extra GB's of storage. Otherwise tell them to get their asses in gear and get a rush delivery from samsung on a new 8GB to send to you.

Personally I think either the walkbox or the S3 would probably do just fine. The walkbox does have a few less features than the S3 though, so it depends on how many extra additions you want to go with the speaker

Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Well, B&H still haven't responded (but they have given me an RMA code), I'm calling them up tomorrow....

I'm just ordered the Fiio Walkbox...hope it gets here in time!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Another quick question, how do you guy sync your P3s? Drag and Drop? Does Foobar2000 support mp3 player compatibility?