android
Old 07-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Default .

Last edited by riley506; 02-15-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley506 View Post
I was wondering if retailers are still selling new v1 Fuzes. Does anyone know why Sandisk stopped selling black 8gb models on their website? Is it possible that all black 8gb Fuzes are v1?

It seems like the only way I'm likely to get a v1 is if I buy an 8gb silver one from Best Buy that looks like its been sitting there for a year.

Thanks for your help
Welcome to ABI!

Unfortunately there has never been a reliable way to tell which version a particular Sansa is except to check the firmware. When Sansa has made the hardware changes that distinguish a V1 from a V2 they haven't made any changes to the packaging or exterior of the player.

So it's always a crap shoot as to which version you get. The general rule it the older the better so it may be that the year old looking one at your local Best Buy is a V1. Or it could just as easy be a dusty looking V2.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015L0T3G

The only thing that could make me think this is a V1 is the fact that it says it's discontinued by the manufacturer. Can't be sure though. This is the one I ordered

Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 AM

I just bought a sansa fuze and had no idea about the different versions, turned out to be a version 1, and yes it is silver. I used it for a day and liked it and then i did the firmware update and found that it was a little bit different, haven't really had it long enough to comment on the different firmwares.
I got mine at future shop, but i am in Canada so i don't know what the situation is in your neck of the woods.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:15 AM

I'd look at the packaging differences. When the Fuze first came out, it came in a cardboard box. These days, it's packaged in the blister pack. I would hazard a guess that if you get one in the blue and black cardboard box, it'll be a V1; while the plastic blister packs would be a V2.

I would suspect that the V2 would offer improvements in its design over V1.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreD View Post
I just bought a sansa fuze and had no idea about the different versions, turned out to be a version 1, and yes it is silver. I used it for a day and liked it and then i did the firmware update and found that it was a little bit different, haven't really had it long enough to comment on the different firmwares.
I got mine at future shop, but i am in Canada so i don't know what the situation is in your neck of the woods.
The difference is not the firmware but the hardware. V1 and V2 Fuzes perform essentially the same but the good people at Rockbox have gotten to the Official Test Build status on the V1s.

Traded my V2 4GB to "upgrade" to a V1 2GB. Got a feeling it's going to be one of my more rewarding horsetrading deals

BTW Froobi has refurbs at fairly decent prices. They used to sell Rockbox ready Sansa e2xx series players. Might be worth a shot.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
I'd look at the packaging differences. When the Fuze first came out, it came in a cardboard box. These days, it's packaged in the blister pack. I would hazard a guess that if you get one in the blue and black cardboard box, it'll be a V1; while the plastic blister packs would be a V2.

This isn't true, there have been V1s in plastic and V2s in paper boxes. Definitely not the way to choose!!

Old 07-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nena View Post
This isn't true, there have been V1s in plastic and V2s in paper boxes. Definitely not the way to choose!!
That is true, when i bought my version one three days ago it came in a blister pack with a cardboard sleeve over it.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Just not a good way to judge. Actually firing the player up and checking the firmware is the only way to tell which version of a Sansa product you have.

Sansa is well known for having both versions of a particular series in ANY packaging. As far as they are concerned the capabilities are the same in its native form so the packaging is irrelevant. The one exception was the Rhapsody series when it was new. Since it had the Rhapsody software on it the new packaging stated that. If you get a refurb it might be ANY version. There are lots of reports of refurb non "R"s with "R" cases and vice versa.

Quote:
Nope. As I said in an earlier post I traded away a V2 for a refurbed V1. The performance and UI design with the newest firmware for each version is identical. Once again, the only way to tell is to check the firmware.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM

I wanted to confirm that I just received a refurbed v1 8gb fuze from frubi.com selling via amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/n6t5pt (*edited to tinyurl because abi's forum kept hijacking the amazon address - weird!?)

It's definitely a bit of a gamble as to whether you'll get a v1 or not, but I got mine today and was overjoyed that it's a v1 that will eventually get rockboxed.

After getting a clip for yard work and working out, I just can't take the hiss and cpu noise of my rockboxed e280. The clip sadly doesn't have the micro sd expansion, however, so I can't use it as my primary player. I looked around a LOT to find decently priced refurbs and finally took the gamble on a froobi.com via amazon in the hopes of getting a v1 that I could rockbox, and I am glad I did!

For what it's worth as well, I must say the fuze drives the bass on my shure E5C's a bit stronger than the clip does. Not sure if the amp is slightly different (I know the DAC is supposedly identical), or if it's just got more current available with the larger battery, but it's definitely a winner.

Ok now I am off to order a spare... hopefully that one will be a v1 as well!

Last edited by Kenaneu; 07-31-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM

2nd Fuze arrived today from Froobi via amazon. It's also a v1, so for anyone still wanting to snag one for rockboxing, this looks like a good way to go.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaneu View Post
2nd Fuze arrived today from Froobi via amazon. It's also a v1, so for anyone still wanting to snag one for rockboxing, this looks like a good way to go.
That's good news. Too bad Froobi doesn't sell the black version. I'm curious if one would have the same luck going with Marketplace seller Retail Killer (who does sell refurb'ed black ones), but I can't afford to take the risk right now.

Last edited by epithetless; 07-31-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 PM

I actually like the silver. I was skeptical, but it's grown on me. It definitely helps hide the finger prints, and is a more neutral frame for custom rockbox themes.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaneu View Post
I actually like the silver. I was skeptical, but it's grown on me. It definitely helps hide the finger prints, and is a more neutral frame for custom rockbox themes.
Oh, I have nothing against the silver (even bought one for my fiancee) -- I just prefer the black more. And if I'm going to spend the money, might as well get the color I want, right?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM

My friend and I both ordered the Fuze from Amazon, not through a seller, but directly from Amazon. Both our boxes arrive the same day, mine was a v2 and his was a v1. So even Amazon's stock is mixed in there. I convinced him to trade with me becuase he isn't interested in Rockbox at all Here I come, Gapless!!!