android
Old 08-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Default o2 can it charge from USB on empty battery?

I just received a used o2 I bought from an online store, but the player didn't arrive with a charger. When I plug in the USB cable, I get no response. Can you charge from the USB if the battery is totally drained, or is the battery just dead. I don't want to waste $10 bucks on a charger just to find out the battery is toast.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributing Editor

I havent tried, but it should. Make sure you put the hold switch on. That turns off the screen of the O2 to make the charging worth while. When the screen shows usb connected, only use that for transferring media.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM

The O2 can charge without the AC adapter, but not many like to because the charging time takes quite a while. From a dead battery, it typically takes 10 hours or so with the USB cable. With the AC adapter, it typically takes 3 hours or so from a dead battery.

Instructions for charging with the USB cable for minimum charge time:
- Have the O2 turned off.
- Put the Hold switch in the Hold position (aka locked).
- Plug the mini-USB adapter into the O2.
- Don't think that you can even charge the player with the hold button in the normal position, because even when off and plugged in to the USB the light is turned on. This light will kill the battery faster than the USB cable can charge the player.

When the player is turned off and the AC adapter plugged in, the red light on the top of the player does turn off when the battery is fully charged. I don't believe the light turns off when the USB cable is plugged in. I haven't tried it, but if someone else has, please post your results from that test.

Charging is a bit of a pain, but less annoying with the AC adapter. They really aren't that much cashola. I would recommend it, unless you like plugging in your player every night. (ugh!)

I would be VERY interested if someone plugged in the USB and the AC adapter, if the charging time drops. I would think it would quicken the charging time, unless if the AC adapter is plugged in, it cancels any voltage from the USB port. I'm not sure, but if someone would try it, I will try and see!
Sandisk Sansa e280R - v1.0 + 2 ea (2 GB MicroSDHC)
Creative Zen Nano Plus (1GB)

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Thanks Shortly & kasrhp. It seems from the responses that this o2 likely has a dead battery, I will see about getting it RMAed and returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Tapir View Post
I just received a used o2 I bought from an online store, but the player didn't arrive with a charger. When I plug in the USB cable, I get no response. Can you charge from the USB if the battery is totally drained, or is the battery just dead. I don't want to waste $10 bucks on a charger just to find out the battery is toast.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 PM

The conclusion is that the o2 will NOT charge from USB when the battery is completely dead. Once I scavenged a charger and charged the o2 everything works fine.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Mine charged just fine the other day from usb. The battery was completely dead and I was at work with out my quick charger. Switched the switch to hold and left it plugged in for 3 or 4 hours and I had plenty of juice to get home listening to my audio books.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Contributing Editor

Glad you got it working though!!