android
Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Phone Contacts Transfer

Hi, fraid this is Noob alert time. Got my P3 yesterday (silver 32gb) & I have to say I am well impressed. But I am sure that I have read that you can transfer your phone contact list to your P3? Was I dreaming or can this be done? If it can, then how? Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

You Bluetooth them. Make sure the P3 and phone are connected, then just send them via Bluetooth.
Edit: Send as a business card and they show up in the address book of the P3.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 08-05-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM

With Bluetooth you can transfer all the V-Card of your phone.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 PM

My phone doesn't let me do that, only sees the P3 as a headset
Phone is a Samsung t239... its a lower end phone so that may explain a lot.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:03 AM

Thx for the posts guys all sorted, worked a dream. Only prob I have got a lot of Korean txt after the name now. Probly to do with the Korean Firmware I downloaded. No biggy, probs something in the settings. Thx again

Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
You Bluetooth them. Make sure the P3 and phone are connected, then just send them via Bluetooth.
Edit: Send as a business card and they show up in the address book of the P3.
Do you have Verizon? I can't, for the love of me, figure out what you mean by "Send as a business card".

(I too need help getting my Address book filled with my contacts)

Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Dreamnine Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Verizon isn't in the UK, and the vast majority of our phones use the manufacture's firmware rather than the service provider's, so we are unliekly to be able to help you there on the phone front. You might find its worth your time going into your service providers store/ regular mobile phone shop and ask for help there. Can you tell us what phone you have, so that we might be able to help?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
Verizon isn't in the UK, and the vast majority of our phones use the manufacture's firmware rather than the service provider's, so we are unliekly to be able to help you there on the phone front. You might find its worth your time going into your service providers store/ regular mobile phone shop and ask for help there. Can you tell us what phone you have, so that we might be able to help?

Well, I have a Samsung phone!
(Carrier: Verizon)

If you need more details, I'll be happy to provide them.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

In your phone menu there should be an option 'send via bluetooth' next to your contacts - I don't know if it matters which carrier, but it might be disabled or not available on all phones.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
In your phone menu there should be an option 'send via bluetooth' next to your contacts - I don't know if it matters which carrier, but it might be disabled or not available on all phones.
*Grunt*

I think I'll have to go and ask Verizon themselves about it. I can't seem to find that option. Or anything that would work as a matter of fact.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:26 AM

FWIW, I've got a Blackberry Curve (8330) on Verizon and was able to transfer my address book, but it clearly sent it in an "alternate" format because the P3 couldn't open the file...

I'll keep fiddling with it and let you know if I figure it out.

Steven

Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM

I'll verify that its not available on all phones. I have a LG9700, service provider is Telus. I tried playing around with the bluetooth but it can only discover the bluetooth as a carrier for phone calls, no additional features. So I guess I'll have to figure out how to get certain things like calander appointments and such onto the phone via USB, unless I get a USB adapter for my computer.

P.S. Just got ma P3 yesterday I've just been messing around with it to run down the battery and give it a good recharge before I really start going to town on it
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoPatrol View Post
I'll verify that its not available on all phones. I have a LG9700, service provider is Telus. I tried playing around with the bluetooth but it can only discover the bluetooth as a carrier for phone calls, no additional features. So I guess I'll have to figure out how to get certain things like calander appointments and such onto the phone via USB, unless I get a USB adapter for my computer.

P.S. Just got ma P3 yesterday I've just been messing around with it to run down the battery and give it a good recharge before I really start going to town on it
At last! Hope you enjoy, and remember to post your thoughts.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:57 PM

Okay Here it goes..
I use a low end Samsung cell phone too for AT&T and this is how i did it manually.

I went to address book, went to a contact i wanted and pressed menu => Save to My Stuff.

You gotta do this for every single contact, going down the list.

After you do that, connect your phone via usb to your computer. Open up your phone in my computer and enter the Phone folder => Other Files.

There you should see all the .vcf files you have saved for each of your contacts.

Cut/Copy those files, connect your P3/P2 to your computer, open ur player up in My Computer, and make a new folder called "Address Book" if it is not already there.
Make sure the folder name is exactly the same with all capitalization.

Then paste all your contacts into the folder, disconnect your player and you will see them in ur Prime Pack. Or you can go to your file browser, open the address book folder and call from there.

I hope you are AT&T! this took me like 3 whole days to figure out!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM

If you arent AT&T and have a samsung, try to find an option that saves your contact to somewhere.. like My Stuff.. This means the cell phone will make a file for the contact and place it in a folder you can access on the computer. Good luck and tell me how it goes.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Ok, so I have discovered an additional clause courtesy of Koralex's post. After setting the bluetooth on both my P3 and my LG9700 (this is for the Telus carrier)

I went into my Phone's Contact list.
Selected one of my contacts.
Pressed the options menu.
It had the option to "Send Name Card"
Selected that "Via Bluetooth"
Selected My P3
Sent it over

For the rest of my contacts.
Pulled up the options menu in "My Contacts"
Hit - Select All
Then Pulled up options again.
Hit - Send Name Card
Used option "Send Via Bluetooth"
Selected my P3
Sent the rest of them over.

It automatically loaded the contact info to my P3 address book.
So apparently I can move contacts, but I think that's just about it. Yup, can't send pictures or music.
"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it..." - Adam Smith

Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

You can't send music? That's too bad.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You can't send music? That's too bad.
Yeah it's really odd. My phone has this weird feature of "classifying" the different types of Bluetooth devices. It has little pictures next to each different device. Other phones will show up as phones, headsets as headsets, headphones as headphones. But strangely, my P3 shows up as a little 'Car' icon. I don't really know what that dictates, but it severely limits my usability between my phone and my P3

Old 08-25-2009, 04:32 PM

^try what i said...

Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralex90 View Post
^try what i said...
Oh for contacts I did use your method and it worked great Look 2 posts up and it's my rundown for the LG9700 about what to do. So thank you Koralex for the info in moving my contact information, thanks to you I now have all my phone contacts on my P3