android
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Default Couple Questions

When recording in WMA is 192kb the highest we can record in?

Just bought a 4gb card and apparently you cannot record to it from the line-in feature? Do you record to external memory using a computer only and is that with the card in the player or the computer or a separate card reader?

Can we record movies directly from a dvd player to line-in?

Can we connect the player to the inputs on the front of any regular tv and watch a movie and to get a really good quality picture on a standard 27" to 32" tv what bit rate do we record in and how much space will that require?

When I recorded cd's on a computer using windows the songs came out in alphabetic order which I didn't want so was there an option I overlooked that could of put them in the order as they are on the cd?

Using windows how do I move what I recorded from the line-in feature to playlists so I can put songs under the heading of the bands name?

Any other tips are appreciated and keep in mind I don't own a computer (webtv) and have recorded only 1 time so far successfully at the library using windows and am not too familiar with computers in general so even that was a minor miracle

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 AM

Hey are you still waiting for your pilot like I am?

I'm 99.9% sure that you cannot record movies directly onto the player itself.

I've seen on youtube a video of someone explaining the video out, and on a smaller TV the picture looks acceptable, but on a larger TV it might not be as sharp. I'm not on my home computer, but I have a movie (Cloverfield) in the Pilots format and it is about 600MB.

As for the order of the songs, the .mp3 file has all the artist/song names etc built in, including the order of the songs according to the CD. So once you select the album on the mp3 player it will list the songs this way (unless stated otherwise).

Sorry if this wasn't helpful

My Reviews

Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost in the machine View Post
Hey are you still waiting for your pilot like I am?

I'm 99.9% sure that you cannot record movies directly onto the player itself.

I've seen on youtube a video of someone explaining the video out, and on a smaller TV the picture looks acceptable, but on a larger TV it might not be as sharp. I'm not on my home computer, but I have a movie (Cloverfield) in the Pilots format and it is about 600MB.

As for the order of the songs, the .mp3 file has all the artist/song names etc built in, including the order of the songs according to the CD. So once you select the album on the mp3 player it will list the songs this way (unless stated otherwise).

Sorry if this wasn't helpful

Well when I recorded from the computer using windows it put the songs from the cd in alphabetical order. That's unimportant to me now though because I just rcorded the same cd directly from a cd player using line-in recording and it sounds better than ripping from the computer. It's defiantely a much longer process but to me it's worth it. Also that's recording from an older Pioneer cd player and I'd expect if I was using something better like a Sony or higher line players SQ would be even better yet. The downside is it only shows what you recorded in a numbered format like 'aud135'. I'm hoping if I plug my pilot into a computer I'll be able to move those songs around to the Playlist and put them under the band's name or cd name. I don't think you can create playlists on the Pilot itself because I've tried everything and all I'm stuck with now is about 100 songs with #'s so I have no idea what's what

On a separate note I just got my nt222 black silicone skin that includes a removable bracket to prop it up and it looks and feels real nice not to mention protects the player. Paid $8 shipped from somebody on Amazon and glad I got it

Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 PM

How do you transfer what's on the internal memory to the sd card? If the answer is a computer is it fairly straight forward using windows and does the sound get changed AT ALL on the transfer? The reason I'm concerened about SQ on transfer is because I ripped a cd on the computer and although technically it came out good the sound of that same cd recorded fom line-in using home cd player was much nicer overall (warmer sound and more dyanamic). So I'm concerned on transfer to card there may be noticeable SQ changes that may be perceptable when listening through high-line headphones.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigToe View Post
Well when I recorded from the computer using windows it put the songs from the cd in alphabetical order. That's unimportant to me now though because I just rcorded the same cd directly from a cd player using line-in recording and it sounds better than ripping from the computer. It's defiantely a much longer process but to me it's worth it. Also that's recording from an older Pioneer cd player and I'd expect if I was using something better like a Sony or higher line players SQ would be even better yet. The downside is it only shows what you recorded in a numbered format like 'aud135'. I'm hoping if I plug my pilot into a computer I'll be able to move those songs around to the Playlist and put them under the band's name or cd name. I don't think you can create playlists on the Pilot itself because I've tried everything and all I'm stuck with now is about 100 songs with #'s so I have no idea what's what

On a separate note I just got my nt222 black silicone skin that includes a removable bracket to prop it up and it looks and feels real nice not to mention protects the player. Paid $8 shipped from somebody on Amazon and glad I got it
Really? This is how you decided to do it Wow......just WOW

Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Really? This is how you decided to do it Wow......just WOW

Maybe you missed the part where I said I don't own a computer or that I seemed to get better results on line-in recording directly from home cd player when I did rip 1 cd at the library using their computer.

I'm going to try ripping a cd again at the library though because although I thought I set it for 192kb it may have in fact come out in 128 and being I recorded on the line-in feature from cd player it was definately in 192 so that could be why the sound is better. Of course I'd definately rather record on a computer if sound is as good or better because of how easy it is.

When I recorded from the computer it put the songs in the 'record' section of the player so how do I get the songs in the playlist under a cd or artists name?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 AM

Ok tried ripping the same cd again on a computer and found the variable bit rate using windows and set it on the highest which is 240-300kb and NOW that is 100% better and is worlds apart from 128kb which I must of used the 1st time.

There's an option to arrange the songs in the order you want them downloaded to the player but the songs just came out random anyway so if anyone has any tips on that I'd appreciate it.

I also managed to record to the sd card and it worked but when I erased what's on the card it erased those same songs out of the internal memory too and not sure why.

One other thing I couldn't figure out is how to copy EVERYTHING from internal storage to sd card in one shot. I'd like to do that so I can save the card as a back-up and/or use it in another player.

Generally speaking is it a hassle on most players using a media card for playback of recorded music and perhaps better to get a player with good amount of internal storage instead of buying a cheap 2gb player for example and relying on media cards? I mean the upside of using cards is the fact that I can and already have bought a 4gb sd card for $7 on sale and expect to see 8 + 16gb cards coming down in price and can already get them cheap on sale too.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:13 AM

Went back again and finally got the hang of ripping cd's using Windows media and recording in the highest variable rate possible WMA. Am I missing something or does recording in 240-340kb NOT take up double the storage space of recording in 128kb like you'd expect

Right now I only have a 4gb player so is recording in wma at the highest rate the best option for good SQ and reasonable use of storage space?

I see my player can record in PCM but on 4gb that's only 6-1/2 hrs of recording time total. Does that mean with pcm the cd is recorded EXACTLY as it is with no compression and a complete dupicate bit for bit of the cd with absolutely no SQ difference? If it is I figure I'd wait until I can at least get a 32 or 64gb flash player so as to get 50 or 100 hours recording time. Figure I might have to wait awhile to get an affordable one of those and in the meantime I'm happy enough with wma @ variable rate 240-350kb

Old 08-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigToe View Post
Went back again and finally got the hang of ripping cd's using Windows media and recording in the highest variable rate possible WMA. Am I missing something or does recording in 240-340kb NOT take up double the storage space of recording in 128kb like you'd expect

Right now I only have a 4gb player so is recording in wma at the highest rate the best option for good SQ and reasonable use of storage space?

I see my player can record in PCM but on 4gb that's only 6-1/2 hrs of recording time total. Does that mean with pcm the cd is recorded EXACTLY as it is with no compression and a complete dupicate bit for bit of the cd with absolutely no SQ difference? If it is I figure I'd wait until I can at least get a 32 or 64gb flash player so as to get 50 or 100 hours recording time. Figure I might have to wait awhile to get an affordable one of those and in the meantime I'm happy enough with wma @ variable rate 240-350kb
If you're only working with a 4GB player, you should use the 135-215 bitrate setting. It will save you some space, and I doubt you would be able to hear a difference.