android
Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 AM

Unhappy "Please connect your player"

I bought a Zen V Plus 4gb yesterday, got home and installed everything from the CD, but when I connected my Zen and the program tried to register it, it said it found no unregistered components. I ignored it and tried to open the Media Manager to add songs. It said there's no player connected. I opened Windows Media Player and clicked 'Sync' and there's no player there, either. Every time I connect the player, a Windows Wizard comes up asking me if I want to connect to the internet to install the driver for it. I tried clicking 'yes' once, but it said it couldn't find any drivers. I checked the Device Manager and it says there's a Creative Zen V connected but there's a yellow warning icon next to it. I've tried reinstalling the software from the CD 4 times, and restarted my PC numerous times as well. My player does seem to be charging, as I left it connected to the PC for about 2 hours and now when I disconnect it the battery display is about 1/3 of the way full.

I tried the troubleshooting on Creative's website, but no luck. I also tried a fix that seemed to be working for a lot of people with this problem, which was modifying the registry permissions for USB. I did that, but still no luck.
I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2, 768mb ram, 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 on an HP Pavilion a410y machine.

This is an interesting development: my dad got one of these (a 1gb Zen V) for his birthday, and installed all the software on his PC (an HP Pavilion, different model than mine, 512 ram, 3.0ghz pentium 4). He succeeded in putting all his songs on my player, so I decided to try his PC, since he already had all the software. His PC's Media Explorer recognized my player... and my player can play the radio and everything, so I'm guessing the problem is with my PC.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Did you install WMP first, you should. Then install creative's software after. You could try Media Monkey it might sync with that program.Also try to reinstall your drivers.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I already had WMP 11 installed before I installed Creative's software. I read somewhere that some people were successful in uninstalling WMP11 and then getting their Zen to work. I uninstalled WMP11 but no luck.

How exactly do I reinstall my drivers, and which drivers? If it's the one that came with the CD, I've run that installation 4 times already with no luck.

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM

1. Plug your ZVM into the USB port, if it isn't already.
2. Go to Windows' Device Manager by right-clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Properties" (alternatively, if you are not running in "Start Menu Classic View" mode, then open your Control Panel from the Start Menu, select "Performance and Maintenance", and selecting "System"). From there, select the "Hardware" tab, and click "Device Manager".
3. Locate the entry for "Creative Zen Vision:M" in the device list. It should be located under "Portable Devices".
4. Right-click the "Creative Zen Vision:M" entry, and select "Uninstall".
5. When the entry disappears, unplug your player, and wait several seconds.
6. Plug your player back in. The "Found New Hardware" wizard should come up. Allow it to locate and install the driver automatically.

This should work for the Zen V also.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM

I tried that, but it didn't work. Windows says it can't find the specified file at the end of the wizard.
I tried doing a System Restore to last week (before I bought the player), and tried running installation one more time just the way it describes in the manual, but I'm still getting the same error.

What else can I do?

Old 03-18-2007, 10:38 AM

I have seen that certain usb chipsets will not work with DAPs VIA and some SiS chipsets .You can try to look in your device manager to see which chipset you have . The fix would be to get a new pci based usb card.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 AM

I run XP Service Pack 3 on a Dell, and had the exact same issue. I found this link to a fix that worked for me. http://www.mycreativefansite.com/200...s-that-my.html

Also, I run Vista on a VAIO and have never had an issue with my Zen. I have no idea why that is.