android
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Sony nwz-s636f has a mind of it's own!!

My wifes 636f accepts file transfers fine (mostly mp3's), but lately seems to be deleting files after she has transferred new ones to the player.
She is using Realplayer of all things because she says it's the only software that shows her a playlist of her music and on the left hand tree menu her Sony machine so can can drag the files there.

I checked the player with Windows Explorer and in addition to the main "MUSIC" folder there are many "Music" folders, some with mp3's in them and others that are empty. She and I have no idea how they got there. Should they be deleted ? Would they be confusing the software ? Does anybody have any idea why files are getting deleted after new music is transferred to the player ?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 PM

hmm I had the same issue when I used windows media player to move files over to the device. Various songs would be uploaded to individual folders and sometimes a few would be empty, and this is on my A818. I currently use internet explorer and just move the files into the music folder directly, as for playlists, I use walkmanMTP

http://code.google.com/p/walkmanmtp/

I believe it is also on this board. here you go

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27370

As for why are files being deleted, I have no clue, the current walkmans do not have the ability to delete files off the player using the player itself, it has to be done manually.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the answer - one of the weird thing is that the multiple folders are call called "Music", while the real music folder is called "MUSIC", why realplayer is doing that is beyond me. Now I guess I'll have to go in with windows explorer and check each of those folders and delete them if necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
hmm I currently use internet explorer and
just move the files into the music folder directly, as for playlists, I use walkmanMTP
Seems to be the most obvious solution...but my wife if not exactly computer friendly...explorer scares her

I'll see if I can get her to try walkmanmtp...looks like nice software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
As for why are files being deleted, I have no clue, the current walkmans do not have the ability to delete files off the player using the player itself, it has to be done manually.
I guess Realplayer is doing that for some unknown reason - I have always thought Real was a POS...

Thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try Sony's program, Media Go. It's actually quite good, and it SHOULD know where to put the music folders and solve the issue right out.

Media Go Download

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Darkside - Thanks - I'll DL it and we'll see. What do you think I should do about all the "Music" folders which are on her player? Obviously the player doesn't recognize them ?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Delete them.. If you don't get on with other software it's perhaps best to do what Ascariss and I both do - create folders using Explorer and just drag and drop (copy and Paste) them to the Sony.

That way you can be sure of what is on the player.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM

Dreamnine - Probably a good suggestion, but remember we're dealing here with my wife...who is not computer-savvy. I'll use Explorer to dump those extra "Music" folders if they're empty. I am still puzzed as to how they got created in the first place.
BTW dl'ed mediago...and it **seems** to be nice - looks like Sony's version of Media player

Thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM

I'll be honest with you, I would format the player (using it's own menu) and then resync everything using Windows Media Player or Media GO.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:45 AM

manogamez- Not an option really at this stage -- she has close to 500 songs on the player --- backing them all up, then resyncing via anything would be a MAJOR project. I am gonna play it by ear for now First I'll use Explorer to delete those folders and we''l see from there. Transferring music to a player should not be this complicated..maybe one day it won't be.

Thanks to all for their help

Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzen View Post
manogamez- Not an option really at this stage -- she has close to 500 songs on the player --- backing them all up, then resyncing via anything would be a MAJOR project. I am gonna play it by ear for now First I'll use Explorer to delete those folders and we''l see from there. Transferring music to a player should not be this complicated..maybe one day it won't be.

Thanks to all for their help
Besides Media Go, there is another program from Sony (available as a free download) you can try: Content Transfer. The following thread has information on the program: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42267. As far as simplicity goes, Content Transfer is about as simple as it gets.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM

CDMP3PlayerFan - Yes I found CT a few days ago and have been trying to convince here to use that. But she **hates** learning new software..what can I say !!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM

Well I think I've finally convinced her to use content transfer...and everything **seems** to be OK. So far I haven't removed those "Music" folders...we'll see if she continues to have problems.

Thanks to all here for the advice and suggestions..great group!

Tags
deleting files, extra folders, nwz-s636f