android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3 > Samsung P3 Firmware

Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Page ABI Samsung P3 Official Firmware Upgrade Petition (1st Petition Revision Added!)

Hello, as you may have already noticed, I'm new to the abi community, and I really like being part of it because we all are MP3 player enthusiasts.

Now to the point, I have owned a Samsung P3 for about a month(thanks B&E), and I must say, its a very well-rounded player, and in my humble opinion, it has the best sound quality thanks to DNSe 3.0 (had to get rid of the headphones). But as many of you P3 owners have noticed, Samsung is falling behind on firmware updates/improvements/features compared to Cowon and its S9 which to me is the only real competitor to the P3, so I think a petition to Smasung should be sent, as an official petition from us (the site), which would give a heads-up to Samsung that there are a lot of us who enjoy the player, but think that a lot of things should be re-done/added/removed.

So I'm here to propose that we, all of the abi community, make an official petition letter from this site to Samsung, where we would be redacting what things should be improved, removed, added and last but not least; fixed. Now what's all this "official" petition about? Well exactly what the title states. I'm not going to write a full petition to Samsung, this thread's purpose is for everyone to contribute and say the things that Samsung should bring in the coming firmware updates, then later I (and anyone else that wants to help) would add them in a separate part of this thread, and organize it; grammatically and logically. Then we would all sign it with our real names, including the site mods and admin(s). This will show Samsung that real customers, real P3 owners want some improvements for sure, and that a big MP3 Players community filled with enthusiasts are actually in need for some well-deserved improvements. Here's how it should look to me;

The things that should be added, are going to be separated in different categories. From the most important to the least. Lets start with this:

Bugs: Bugs are things that MUST be fixed before any feature to be improved and/or added, no questions asked . In this category, we would list all of the bugs which should be taken care of. Obviously, we are talking about the latest firmware which is 2.18, so don't even mention old compatibly and/or stability bugs regarding older firmwares.

Now, compatibly issues with other less-known file formats should also be considered a bug. I don't consider the fact that a player to support an specific file format, a feature. I consider it as something that its necessary for it to have, and if it doesn't, then its part of there player's fault, therefore its considered a bug to be fixed. So problems with audio file formats such as the lossless WMA could be added here.

System. For system, these should be the categories.

GUI: The graphical user interface, any type of improvement that should be made. Now, this doesn't include any addition of features, only things that should be removed, moved or changed. It is important to make clear that features are not the most important thing of a player. Look at the IPod Touch, while the Wi-Fi connectivity is a good feature for a MP3 Players, it certainly is not what an MP3 is meant to do. That's why for me the P3 beats the IPod Touch in every level, except in the GUI and Apps. And that's what I'm trying to address here; so lets focus on the thing that should be re-done/added/moved/removed/swapped in the GUI itself.

Still inside this category, we are going to focus on certain specific areas that need to be polished. For example(remember we are still in the GUI category, but we are not mentioning the addition of features just yet);

Music Play Screen; Here we would specify what should be e-done/moved/removed/swapped in this specific area. Things such as the A-B function, which should not be where it is. I think it should swap positions with the music play mode function. I found it a little bit of a hassle, having to open up the menu and then select the option and then having to close the menu again and having to go back to the music screen, only to change from shuffle to normal for instance. That's why I think it should be simplified but just having to change places with A-B and having just to press(or in this case tap) the button and then the play mode changes.

Now after filling this category, with GUI-specific-areas sub-categories, we will move onto the next category.

GUI Features: Now, probably the most wanted, yet not the most important category, is here. As you probably have guessed, here we are going to list, in the exact same method as before, all of the features that -again- should be re-done/added/moved/removed/swapped. Of course, this is not limited to features that were in previous firmwares. I've heard that on-screen volume controls were available in firmware 2.07, but for some reason they removed it in firmware 2.14, and still not present in 2.18. Now, we should understand though, they wouldn't have removed it unless it was really necessary, or there was any other particular reason? Probably, because I've seen that the GUI responsiveness and overall feel is much faster and smoother in 2.14 as compared to 2.07, where just so happens to be the firmware where the on-screen volume was. Intriguing isn't? The point is, that this particular feature should also be mentioned here too.

Feel

Now, the next category would be; Feel. This category is rather important. Here we would dare to list, all of the responses the GUI would make by our actions. For example; we all know, that when we are seeing images in the P3, if we slide our finger to the right or left, the image will change back and/or forth. But what about, if we could slide our fingers slowly without actually removing the finger from the screen to be able to see the next see the next picture; like some kind of preview, the same as to what the Samsung R1 does. If I'm not mistaken -and excuse me if I'm- I believe the IPod Touch also has this little feature when browsing images.

Now, the next category would be; Miscellaneous. Here we would list, all of the things that you might find that make less enjoyable your video/music playback experience, as well as things that we are not sure if they should be listed inside the other categories.

So pretty much this is it, I know its quite big, but I'm sure if we add something to improve the P3, we'll make it even a better player. I mean, seriously, how luck are we? The IPod owners don't receive the type of firmwares updates we (including all of the other non-Apple players too) do, we have a chance to actually add great changes to the P3. And Samsung does listen to its costumers. But what I would personally recommend, is that if you are going to redact your ideas, please do it in a good way; grammatically if you know what I mean. After all, its a letter thats going to Samsung, and we should send it as presentable as possible. Like some type of big changelog, so bring in the ideas!

Last edited by lawfer; 08-30-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: 1st Petition Revision Added.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM

I'm in favor of this petition.

(I would like to see a calendar widget with events that you set on it...that's my recommendation for the next firmware).

Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

All they need to do imo is bring back the features of 2.07 with a slicker, faster UI. I don't want anything else.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
All they need to do imo is bring back the features of 2.07 with a slicker, faster UI. I don't want anything else.
I'm with you Dreamnine. But you have to understand that they won't listen to you only. A group petition where not only you, but an entire community is together, is the only way to make those Samsung firmware programmers to listen to us. And so far, comparing the P3 to the P2 tells me they do listen to proposals from their customers.

So if you are kind enough my friend, spend about 30 minutes of your time, and redact those features you want the most, I will include them in the petition so they get done as well as the other ones from others too.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

If they read these forums, they'll know that I went back to 2.07 for 3 reasons. Apparently France stuck with 2.07. I'm European too and agree with the French. Edit: Perhaps I shouldn't have contributed to this thread, but I lose interest. The P3 works, plays audio/video well.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM

new firmware? Im in favor!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM

I definitely agree to having a new firmware as opposed to having a new pmp every damned month. Also I wouldn't mind having more icons/apps or widgets, or just improved widgets(Eg. Combined memo and calender).

Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Great thread. Sure can sign me on!!!! Can't wait until I can sign my name on and we send this away.

My really needed features, really, really would be great for me!

More settings/adjustments for sleep, backlight, GUI etc. Make it customizable for the people who want to spend ages making it there ideal player (me for example!)

Ability to turn on and off the last used feature on turn on. (Looking at pics then turn off and then next time you turn on pics are up again for example)

Ability to re-map the + and - volume buttons so that pressing (or adjustable hold time) both of them will stop the current song playing.

Ability to re-map the + and - volume buttons to skip track when used in a certain sequence. (like double tap).

Make UI during menu changes or back to home page less laggy and not to hang up sometimes.

Allow more playlist options and for more tracks on a playlist.

Add a lock function with custom pin (like Mobile phones, Samsung can do this well ).

That's it really for me, sure there are other things but these are really the main things!!!

Man, this player would be so great if it had the above...

Laurence

Stop the loudness war - Turn Me Up!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Im in favor with a new firmware...We p3 users have been waiting a little while for a firmware update with new features and fixes for bugs...the lag when switching pages should be updated...also widgets should be able to be used on custom ucis...and the sketchbook app needs to be available in the regular themes and not just custom...and not to forget in the u.s. firmware thier should be dictionary...and it would be nice if we could customize the dsne for movies...a touch volume control would be awesome too.Writing down events in the calender widget would be nice to and more customizable settings.Also a lock with a code wold be nice it would even be cool if it showed how many hours of battery is left.Too add if we could slide our fingers slowly without actually removing the finger from the screen to be able to see the next see the next picture. Thier is many things samsung should do for p3...=)

Last edited by tylerg400; 08-21-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Yah! Faster/momentum scrolling!!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:12 AM

Holding volume+ and - to play the next and previous song when the screen is locked.
That's very useful and gonna save more battery.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 AM

I'm +1 for the petition, but still waiting for my P3 so I cant really add any pointers yet
(maybe releasing the 32GB in the UK and US should go on as well! :P)
But from what I've learnt over the past 4 or 5 months about the P3, I'd say ditto to technex, and the ability to have the backlight be instant off when you lock the P3. That is arguably one of the biggest flaws of the player!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
I'm +1 for the petition, but still waiting for my P3 so I cant really add any pointers yet
(maybe releasing the 32GB in the UK and US should go on as well! :P)
But from what I've learnt over the past 4 or 5 months about the P3, I'd say ditto to technex, and the ability to have the backlight be instant off when you lock the P3. That is arguably one of the biggest flaws of the player!
It has that in 2.07 - On screen lock and instant backlight off.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 AM

The most important enhancement would be gapless playback support.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 AM

I would like to see voice commands used through the microphone.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 AM

I think some of the R1 features (see video on a thread) would be nice ^^

Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbanugget View Post
I would like to see voice commands used through the microphone.
Voice commands would be awesome
and maybe a full qwerty keyboard for the memo feature
...world map maybe...like google earth
more flash support would be good too(flv, more swf support)

Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks to those of you who actually took some of your time to come up with needed features for the P3.

After reading for a while all of your posts, I decided to make the letter in a PDF format. I'll spend just a few hours of my time, trying to build the letter. I'm actually planning on making it some type of roadmap. Let me explain myself; if we tell Samsung all of the things we would like to see on the P3, it would certainly look a bit overwhelming for the the firmware programmers, since the P3 is lacking a lot of needed features(even though it doesn't look that way at first)

So, Ill make this PDF letter, where -obviously- all of your much needed features will be, but Ill try to make it this way;

What feature is the most important right now?: 1. Gapless Playback 2. OnScreen Volume

Well if you ask me, both are equally important, but I think gapless playback gets more attention, since is not only a feature that the P3's competitor the S9 already implemented, but its a feature that most of the people love, myself included. While Onscreen is something I would love to see again, it can certainly wait compared to gapless playback. So you see what I'm saying? Like some type of priority list of features, ranging from most wanted to least important.

So keep bringing the ideas and Ill make sure to put them inside the letter!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM

I said once but i'll say it again!!! MOMENTUM SCROLLING!!
Not only does the zune have it but the fruity tooty itouch!
seems like a given for a touch screen player...
I'd also like to see album art work pop up instantaneously. The art lags and DOES NOT show up when the list of them is scrolled and in motion.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM

Sign me up!

Id like the "mosaic" view for album art like on the S9