android
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Quick start? (8GB with 16 GB memory card)

I am considering to buy a Class 2 micro SDHC 16 GB. Does anyone have this setup? Does it have slow startup problem?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 AM

I have this. It works fine. Startup is no different for me than before I inserted the microsd card.
IN ORDER OF CAPACITY: RioS30S 64kb/Sansa e130 512kb/iRiverT10 1gb/Sansa e260 4gb/iAudioU3 4gb*DOA/CowonD2 4gb*SOLD/iRiverClix2 8gb/SansaFuze 8gb/SamsungP2 8/iAudio7 16gb/CreativeZVM 30gb/CreativeZVM 60gb/iPodTouch 64gbgb/iPodVideo 80gb :

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Depends on your USB mode.

MTP builds the database during the file transfer. So transfers are slower, but startup is quick.

MSC builds the database on startup. So transfers are faster, but the first startup is slow.

If you add transfer time plus startup, it's pretty close for either mode.

However, if you are buying a card now, definitely go for a Class 6 card. 16GB Class 6 cards are about $50 at Newegg. Doesn't make sense to get a slow Class 2 card unless you're getting it really, really cheap.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 PM

I already bought the class 2 card. Oh well...
I will let you know how slow it is once the card is filled up.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Class 6 cards are expensive here in the UK and hard to come by. I'm thinking og buying a 16gb, I don't care too much for transfer speeds from the computer as much as the database refresh speed at startup oin MSC mode. I put in and take out podcasts nearly everyday so waiting a long time is going to be a pain. Looking forward to hearing about your findings.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM

The UK seems a little behind with the 16GBs. Been looking for a decent one myself, but the prices are insane.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoz View Post
... I put in and take out podcasts nearly everyday so waiting a long time is going to be a pain. Looking forward to hearing about your findings.
I have a 2GB Fuze with 8GB class 6 SDHC and I use mine similarly. Ordinarily I put my podcasts on the 2GB flash and the SD card remains unchanged. However it still seems to prolong startup to an annoying degree, but not as bad as my 8GB e280 which took 5 minutes each time I updated podcasts.

On top of it, I'm running Rockbox so the OF update is a total waste in the first place. I look forward to the day when Rockbox on the Fuze supports USB and then I won't have to see the "refreshing" screen again. In the mean time, I suppose I could speed things up by popping the SD card out before I connect USB to update podcasts.

I don't know if SD speed affects refresh time. It may be that the read speed is fast enough to keep up with the refresh processing. It is more likely to affect USB transfer speed. And IAC the nature of use is that the player typically reads flash storage while USB is more often used to write.

-hank