android
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Default Battery Depleted

I woke up today, after having my fuze plugged into my (turned off) PC ovenight, and it has no battery life left. It was full yesterday, but this morning it states it has to shut down because of no battery life.

It's charging now, but I was wondering is this is normal - leaving the device plugged in might not switch off the device, and when you shut down your pc, it may stop charging....

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Adrian

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've heard of this sort of thing happening before. Some computers' USB ports actually drain power from devices that are plugged into them when the computers are off. I don't believe this is a Fuze-exclusive phenomenon.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:09 AM

Good to know. I shall not leave it all alone next time. I must say that after owning a fuze for a few weeks, I am really happy with it. Nearly everything I want in an MP3 player.

Adrian

Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherscribe View Post
I woke up today, after having my fuze plugged into my (turned off) PC ovenight, and it has no battery life left. It was full yesterday, but this morning it states it has to shut down because of no battery life.

It's charging now, but I was wondering is this is normal - leaving the device plugged in might not switch off the device, and when you shut down your pc, it may stop charging....

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Adrian
If you want to avoid this, make sure to always pause the Fuze before you plug it into the computer. This way, if it's still plugged in and the computer is shut down, your normal power saver setting will turn off the Fuze instead of letting it run down the battery.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"If you want to avoid this, make sure to always pause the Fuze before you plug it into the computer. This way, if it's still plugged in and the computer is shut down, your normal power saver setting will turn off the Fuze instead of letting it run down the battery. "

You actually tried this? I would think that if the player is indicating connected it would not allow it to power down via power saving. Does the connected mode stop if the pc is turned off while the player is connected? I don't know if it would. I have not tested it. I have heard others complain of a depleted battery after turning off the pc with the player connected. Do you really think that pausing the player before connecting it vs not pausing it would make the difference?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
You actually tried this? I would think that if the player is indicating connected it would not allow it to power down via power saving. Does the connected mode stop if the pc is turned off while the player is connected? I don't know if it would. I have not tested it. I have heard others complain of a depleted battery after turning off the pc with the player connected. Do you really think that pausing the player before connecting it vs not pausing it would make the difference?
I've accidentally powered down my computer before with my Sansa still connected. It was playing music,and I connected to add podcasts to it. I got distracted by a phone call, and forgot it was plugged in. Later, I went to shut down the computer, and couldn't find the player, which I was going to use to listen to podcasts while I went for a walk. That was when I found it, and it had resumed playing music.

So apparently at least on this old computer, when the computer powers down, the connected mode stops. I have heard that some machines still provide power to their USB ports when powered down, but mine does not.

After that happened to me, I was curious, so the next day, I replicated the incident only with the player paused, and once the computer shut down, the player reverted to its paused state, and shut itself down after my 5-minute time setting elapsed. So at least on this machine, pausing it really does make the difference.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

+1 on Marvin's experience.

After having leaving the house with a dead player and spending the day without music I learned to always connect to charge in a non playing screen. Pause or the main menu screen works for me. If the computer powers down the player reverts to the menu screen and shuts down according to the power saver settings.

I don't change what's on the player much so I use a wall wart to charge 95% of the time. When I do use the computer I always pause or turn off the player before connecting.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
+1 on Marvin's experience.

After having leaving the house with a dead player and spending the day without music I learned to always connect to charge in a non playing screen. Pause or the main menu screen works for me. If the computer powers down the player reverts to the menu screen and shuts down according to the power saver settings.

I don't change what's on the player much so I use a wall wart to charge 95% of the time. When I do use the computer I always pause or turn off the player before connecting.
A big +1 on the wall charger. When I had my Fuze, I bought a Fuze-specific one. I have a couple of the mini-USB ones that work for my Clip, and I just the other day ordered one of the wall plugs with a USB slot in it, so that I can charge my Q2 (and any future players) from the wall.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't connect to your computer unless you are adding/subtracting content. It minimizes your chances of screwing anything up, especially if you're half-asleep or half in the bag.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Default How about a powered USB hub?

Would connecting to a powered USB hub that's not connected to a computer be just as safe?