android
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 AM

Help Sony walkman s630 and s730 difference

Hi guys,

This ID is newly registered though I have been lurking here for some time since I knew I would need a decent DMP some day

I recently got a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. That is great, but it eats my DAP battery like no one else does, also it hisses a lot. After consulting some of my semi-pro audiophile friends and posting a thread elsewhere, it seems in order to fully get the capacitance of my new headphone, it is time to invest on a new DMP.

I am thinking of buying S639 since they are on sale at bestbuy for $139. but some people said S730 series are better than S630 not only in the noise-cancelling function(which I won't use since I am using my own headphone), but also in other facets, like the circuit design and maybe the chip. I also heard elsewhere A820 or A720 has better sound quality than S730 and S630.

I am a little confused here. Also S730 is not that easy to get now. The most cost-efficient is the S639 now.

Please tell me your guys' info on what I wrote above. I want to secure my investment before I have to weep over a gadget having little improvement over my current DMP (it's a Meizu player by a Chinese company, if you guys ever heard of that, which produces pretty good sound IMHO)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Banned

The S739 has noise cancellation, but other than that the S639 is the same.

Many rate the S638/9 as having the best SQ of any Sony player, better than the 739 or even the A Series. I would jump on that offer if I were you.

Here's Jasmine's (one of the fully-witted Cnet team's) review: http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...?tag=mncol;lst

Last edited by Dreamnine; 08-29-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 AM

Thank you for your fast reply, Dreamnine!
I will go to bestbuy tomorrow and try it myself if possible

Also, does the s630 have decent power to drive a 64ohm full-sized headphone? I am afraid my headphone would devour battery again. I am kinda thinking of getting a not so costy amp, like Fiio.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Banned

It drives my Grados fine, (I've photos up if you click my profile) but you would probably benefit from an amp for other headphones - the V6 should sound sweet with this player.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:15 AM

Wow the silver and orange one look so stylish...
OK I will carry my headphone with me tomorrow :-)

Old 08-29-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physiophile View Post
Hi guys,

I also heard elsewhere A820 or A720 has better sound quality than S730 and S630.

I am a little confused here. Also S730 is not that easy to get now. The most cost-efficient is the S639 now.

Please tell me your guys' info on what I wrote above. I want to secure my investment before I have to weep over a gadget having little improvement over my current DMP (it's a Meizu player by a Chinese company, if you guys ever heard of that, which produces pretty good sound IMHO)
Well, I will chime in since I have had both the Meizu M6 and the Sony NWZ A729 (Ebay from UK). I drowned my Meizu in the washer many months ago and I am still crying about it. No doubt, the sound quality on that is superb: crystal clear and balanced without EQ. I cannot speak for any other Sony, but can say that you will not be disapointed with the sound of the Sony 729 comparing it to a Meizu.

Its been so long since I listened to it, but I remember listening to my Meizu and sampling a SamP2 in Best Buy and thinking that the Meizu was matched by the P2 and I have to say that my Sony SQ (and it took me a while before I could admit this because I love my Samsungs) is slighty better than the P2 or even the Q1, which has the same SQ as the P3.

My only gripe with the Sony is that for like $100.00 more, it has significantly fewer features than the Sams, but will prob. be more convenient to navigate than your Meizu. I think you will really enjoy whichever Sony you get. Sonystyle has the refurbished A729 for just over $100, if you do not mind buying refurbed and you can find them in stock there.

I know SOMETIMES there are actually files on players other than Ipod at BB. Go into the store with your headphones and see if you can have a listen to the 639.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Banned

SQ wise, between my Sony and P3 the Samsung just edges it. Probably because it has slightly better sound enhancements.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the MDR-V6's, and I had a S639. I'd recommend getting a different player that has a higher power output, such as a Samsung or Cowon DAP. Otherwise, you'll be disappointed w/the SQ. The Grado's are 32ohm, the V6's are 60 - get a different player.

Specs for the Grados: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

The Grado's are easier to drive.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
SQ wise, between my Sony and P3 the Samsung just edges it. Probably because it has slightly better sound enhancements.
What do you think of the SQ without the enhancements? At first I was really pissed off when I got the Sony and would not give it any props for great sound. Then I realized that I was pissed at that cost/features vs. the Q1, which was much better. Then when I put that anger down, I had to admit that the SQ is excellent and so much easier to navigate than the Q1 although I still use the Q1 more as I like that I have more features with this one.

I guess I should also try with different headphones as well. Currently, I only use S. Px100s.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I have the MDR-V6's, and I had a S639. I'd recommend getting a different player that has a higher power output, such as a Samsung or Cowon DAP. Otherwise, you'll be disappointed w/the SQ. The Grado's are 32ohm, the V6's are 60 - get a different player.

Specs for the Grados: http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm

The Grado's are easier to drive.
Amped, it would be fine. I wouldn't recommend the Grados to anyone- too fatiguing.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Amped, it would be fine. I wouldn't recommend the Grados to anyone- too fatiguing.
I may have lost some upper-register hearing over the years, between many childhood ear infections, and loud headphone use in my 20's, but with reasonable volume levels I don't find the Grados fatiguing. "My DSNe" for them is very simple....I move the "Bass" up one notch from the bottom.

To the OP, if you really do like the Sony 'phones, you probably would need an amp with the S-series. A FiiO E5 would be enough power, I think, and is around $20. But if you think you wouldn't want to deal with the extra hassle of hooking up and carrying around an amp, then a higher-powered player would be the way to go.

These new Samsung players with DSNe 3.0 have plenty of power, and the ability to customize your sound to your headphones....I have the Q2, which sounds the same as the P3. I have 3 very different headphones I use with it, and I can get great sound with all three. The Cowon players are also known for good power output, and great sound enhancements.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 PM

Now I am seriously considering changing for another non-minitor low-impedance phone for daily use. I can't stand the hassle of getting an amp with my DMP right now. Maybe later I will move on :-)

Anybody have any idea about audio-technica eth-es55, es7 and esw9? I listen to a lot of J-POP, some people recommend getting a Japanese headphone

Grado is really good, but I feel it can be a little goofy on head (no offense to the owners here >__< I want something that has a bit better look (yet of course sound is the most important!).