android
Old 08-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Default SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Review

This morning while viewing the forums I came across a post by jk98 about the new Clip+. After a little checking on the Sansa forums I found out that BestBuy had starting selling them even before it had been officially announced by Sandisk. So of course I had to drive to the local BB to check it out.

Stats
Sandisk sansa clip+ 4GB
Plays MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC
Integrated microSD expansion slot
15 hour battery life
FM radio
Voice Recording
Works with Sandisk SlotMusic cards
File/Folder browsing
Mini USB port

The Hardware
If you have a Clip you know alot about what the Clip+ is all about. Good sound, small form factor, and you can clip it pretty much anywhere. The Clip+ adds a new bonus, a microSD slot for expansion.

This will allow you to at the current capacity of 4GB buy up to a 16GB microSD card and have a player the size of a watchface that is 20GB.
The expansion memory is integrated with the internal making it so that you don't have to switch between the two to listen to all of your music.
The actual clip sits closer to the body of the player and seems to be quite a bit sturdier than the first generations. They changed it to a solid piece of hard plastic that looks like it can withstand two or three times the abuse of the old clip. The teeth hold far better than the circle ever could have. It may not look quite as pleasing as the see through plastic with the circle teeth but trust me it works much better.
The power button has been moved to the top of the player and is now a button, and the hold feature has been changed to a long press on the home button. This makes it far more resiliant than the slide power/hold on the 1st gen.

The volume button has been moved from the worst choice spot of directly under the headphone jack to the opposite side under the mini USB port. This is so much better for the usability.

The Sound
If you've had a Clip or Fuze in the past you won't be disappointed to find the sound quality to be very similair. I'm glad Sandisk stayed with what works instead of trying to fix what wasn't broken. That being said I still stay away from the the EQ options but I prefer a flat eq anyway most of the time.

Conclusion
The Clip+ in build quality, useability, and with the addition of File/folder browsing and expandability has just set the quality bar pretty high. There is no player in the ultraportable market that can even touch the Clip+. This even blows the clip out of the water. Personally I'll probably have to sell my Clip after having used the Clip+, it's that good If Sandisk doesn't take a huge chunk of the ultraportable market with this player then Apple must have subliminal messages in their commercials

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Great review for a device you just got this morning.

I was wondering would you recommend this over say the D2+ or iaudio7 as an audio player?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Damn, looks good. Nice review bro.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM

I can see that this is $50 dollars on the box, but how does this compare to the prices of the regular clip? I'm thinking this might be a nice partner to go with a samsung R1, if I share a micro SD card between them.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks great! The naysayers are already out in the Sansa forums, asking if the pitch issue was corrected.

I have never been able to hear it in my Clip, but it was acknowledged by the devs when they fixed it on the Fuze. Is it something you ever noticed?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
I can see that this is $50 dollars on the box, but how does this compare to the prices of the regular clip? I'm thinking this might be a nice partner to go with a samsung R1, if I share a micro SD card between them.
Target as of yesterday was selling 2GB Clips for $49.99.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Is an 8GB Clip+ available yet or is 4GB the max at the moment?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Thanks TDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintets_man View Post
Great review for a device you just got this morning.

I was wondering would you recommend this over say the D2+ or iaudio7 as an audio player?
Over the I7 yes but the D2+ is a whole different catagory. For just straight music I like to have a larger screen and a tactile rather than touch interface. The Fuze to me is a great straight audio player. The D2+ wins out though because of it's video and sound options. If you want an ultraportable go anywhere player like the I7, Clip, Shuffle, or Zen Stone then the Clip+ destroys all in it's path. It's the best all around player in that class.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Nice review no9, /me thinks your nick should be scoup9 Although I respect your opinion, I'm not ready to give up my i7 with jeteffects for the plus, but who knows, I might get one myself

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I am glad you are enjoying your Clip+. The i7 has 60 hours of battery life though vs 15 for the Clip(I guess real world usage numbers might be closer to 48 hrs and 12 hours? tHat is still a 4 to 1 ratio. I would prefer longer battery life than the Clip or evven the Fuze offers, however Sandisk could make another player for that. I guess it wasn't possible for Sandisk to fit a scroll wheel in the form factor of the Clip.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I couldn't resist, and picked up a Clip+ today to check it out. Some observations:

-- At my local Best Buy, it's not on the shelves yet--you may need to ask for it. My sales associate told me that it's listed for sale on 9/13. When I asked, the sales associate told me that he doesn't know if BB will be getting the 8gb version (they had the 4gb version).

The exterior:

-- SanDisk has worked on the build some. There is no rattling whatsoever nor any loose buttons, and the build feels tighter than earlier. A nice little package. It feels slightly heavier than the original Clip, and solid/sturdy.

-- Clicks are quieter.

-- Cosmetically, and with a black Clip+, while the front is glossy black, the sides and back are matte black--looks nice and good to avoid fingerprints. All buttons are black--no more silver (apart from the USB port).

-- The shape is a rectangle with rounded corners; the slight arch shape on the top and bottom of the original Clip is gone. Also, the front slopes in slightly to the back, on all sides, giving a sleek feel.

-- The clip on the back is permanent--it can't be removed from the Clip+. It feels sturdier than the clip on the original Clip. On the black Clip+, it also is matte black, as versus the original Clip's smoke-colored, somewhat transparent clip. The clip is rectangular in shape, slightly smaller in size than the back of the Clip+. Again, it is visually appealing.

-- The blue Clip+ in the store seemed to have a slight sparkle in the blue front. Some might like that--not my personal style.

-- The Clip+ seems more attractive in person than in the pictures, in which it seemed cheaper/toy-like. It has a slightly boxy feel, largely due to the square buttons on the front.

-- Gone is the lighted ring and the backlighted ring picture commands at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. They will be missed! The screen is the only thing that lights up on the Clip+.

-- The Clip+ looks slightly thicker than the original Clip, just a tad. The Clip+ screen also is slightly smaller than the original--just a trifle, but noticeable.

And now, the insides, in no certain order:

-- The Clip+ includes ReplayGain technology, to normalize music, if desired.

-- Folder view has arrived. From what I can tell, there are separate folder listings for songs put onto the Clip under MTP and MSC modes.

-- Screens now slide into view, from the side or the bottom--a nice effect.

-- There are more EQ presets than before, including "Full Bass" and "Full Treble".

-- There is a "Track Info" option for when a song is playing, providing a fair amount of information about the file.

-- The Clip now is locked by pressing the home button down for a longer period of time, and is unlocked that way as well.

-- Info. scrolling on the screen is much faster than before. Not fast, but fine and not painful as before.

-- Interestingly, there is a setting to set the date and time. I can't find where this might then be effectuated on the Clip, however, such as with a clock/timer screen. Perhaps it's there somewhere (the instructions provided by SanDisk are the typical limited ones, explaining relatively little), or this is something for a future firmware upgrade.

-- There is a new Next Song screen, that you get to by pressing the center button twice when a song is playing (the first press gets you the earlier EQ screen). A nice addition.

-- The microSD slot seems to work fine. A card fits almost entirely into the Clip+, protruding just a tiny trifle so that it can be pressed back in to then be removed with a spring action. Note: unless I'm missing something, when the folder listing is used, the microSD card's contents show under a separate microSD card listing, separate from the internal memory card listings; however, the microSD card contents are listed jointly with the internal memory files under the ID3 tag listings (Artist, Album, etc.).

-- slotRadio ability.

Pretty much what I've first discovered. In the end, a nice new version, and something that should be another hit/a continuing hit. The big news, of course, being the microSD slot, a big and differentiating point for the Clip+ over other players.

And now it remains to be seen if any of the new features (e.g. folder view; ReplayGain; next song listing; track info.; faster scrolling; enhanced EQ presets) will be brought out for the original Clips via a firmware upgrade ...

Old 08-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried putting a 16 GB card in it an filling it with music? Will the database recognize 8,000 or more songs, or is the song limit 4,000 or some other number? If one click the bottom button and chooses song information, does it tell the play time for the song?

Last edited by JK98; 08-30-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The track info. shows:

file
artist
album
genre
codec
duration (of song, in hours/minutes/seconds)
size (mb)
bitrate
sample rate
track number
disc number

As to number of songs, sorry, only have a 4gb microSD card here.

In playing with the player some more, it really does have nice build quality and finger feel. At the same time, the glowing wheel and direction indicators are missed in a darkened room--nice eye candy, and helpful.

Last edited by Mikerman; 08-31-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
In playing with the player some more, it really does have nice build quality and finger feel. At the same time, the glowing wheel and direction indicators are missed in a darkened room--nice eye candy, and helpful.
I don't mind the blue wheel either, but a lot of people hate it. Should save a little battery life though.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
The original Clip can be found at discounted prices. Having said that, if I recall correctly, the 4gb Clip+ currently is cheaper at BB than the 4gb original Clip ... (I just checked: by $7, no less. The result of the fallen price of DAPs since the original Clips came out?)

Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 PM

Not on the Sandisk site yet .

But no9 as others have said, nice review for something thats just come out!

The microSD slot looks tight fitting, does it easily get dust/dirt in it from what you've experienced so far?? Or are they nice enough to provide a blank microSD?
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 AM

given that more and more people are using microsd cards in their phones to store music, it was a good idea to include microsd capacity for the clip for people who want to switch out music and playlists without having to sync two separate devices. And yes, I know Sandisk makes MicroSD cards too, so that bit of synergy was obvious.

I know the player is designed for workouts, but i wish they'd improved the battery life. 15 hours is not much to begin with, and using a MicroSD can only bring it down further. Can someone do some tests with an 8GB card or something and see how long it lasts?

If it's not much, maybe I'd be better off getting the new/upcoming Sony E series players. 16GB, 2" screen (crap GUI though) and 27hrs battery life for $100 is sounding really good.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
But no9 as others have said, nice review for something thats just come out!

The microSD slot looks tight fitting, does it easily get dust/dirt in it from what you've experienced so far?? Or are they nice enough to provide a blank microSD?
Thanks it was kind of a last minute idea.
There's no blank microsd included but with a card inserted it shouldn't really get any more dust or sand inside than any other player with an expansion slot. I'd be more worried about getting it in through the micro usb port

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post

I never got any in my Fuze, but I always had the card in.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

how about the stock earphones? still same with the first generation?

Tags
clip+, new sandisk, sandisk, ultraportable