android
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Default Creative Zen vs Sansa Fuze

Greetings!
I have a 4gb zen and i'm pleased with it except for the memory card integration and for this i'm considering buying a Sansa fuze 4gb for a better card integration but i have a few questions :
- is the batery life of the fuze better than the zen?
- i use me zen at work for 8 hours every day and also use it in my car and the batery gives me 2,5 days of use can i expect the same from the fuze?
- from what i have read about the fuze i can upload music more easely in a linux pc than the zen that only alows to upload music to the memory card is this correct?
- another thing that i don't like in the zen is the need to lock the player every time that i change the album that is playing to conserve batery life, does the fuze shut the screen down with the need to lock or is like the zen?
- playing music from the memory wastes more batery than the internal memory or is the same, because on zen i don't note any significant waste of batery life playing from one of the memory types.
- is sound the sound better on the fuze comparing to the zen, generaly speaking because i have a creative traveldock 900 at work and in my car a Kenwood and for phones a sennheiser mx500 and a cx300 so the phones that came with the players don't interest me.

Cumps
P.S. - sorry for my bad english

Last edited by wildmetal; 09-02-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM

I only have experience with the x-fi, but I think they aren't much different.

- Battery life is... acceptable. About 15/18 hours.
- Yes, with the Fuze you may use MSC, which allows you data transfers on linux.
- You can define the timer, used to shut the lights off, therefore you don't need to 'hold' it.
- It's about the same. The thing is, that Sansa Fuze's main memory is a SD too, therefore there shouldn't be a difference. Some people claim there is though. Maybe it's due to different card classes.
- I doubt you'll notice a big sound difference with those 'phones. With high end ones, I'm sure you would notice. The Fuze's equalizer sucks hell (I don't know about the Zen), but I believe that will change with Rockbox.

Hope I helped.

P.S - My english isn't very good either.

Last edited by sovesky; 09-12-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
- I doubt you'll notice a big sound difference with those 'phones. With high end ones, I'm sure you would notice. The Fuze's equalizer sucks hell (I don't know about the Zen), but I believe that will change with Rockbox.
Thanks for the fast reply, with this you mean that the zen has a better sound then the fuze?
I don't use the equalizer on my zen, is set to normal because of batery life but is ok because i have tryed with the equalizer on and for me isn't a problem to have the equalizer at normal.
Another thing when the fuze is playing with the screen off if you need to change a song you just press the advance button and the screen lights the music advance and then the screen goes off again?

Cumps

Old 09-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Sorry if I wasn't very understandable. Sansa Fuze has a better sound quality then Zen, mainly when you use high end phones.
The problem is that if you want to EQ the fuze's sound, the provided equalizer isn't good. It just cut's some frequencies.
Rockbox should solve it, I hope.

About the second question, the answer is a bold yes

Sansa Fuze with rockbox will be just... awesome!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

I had a Clip, which has the same sound as the Fuze, and the SQ was a lot better than my Zen with a flat EQ.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reply's, then i think i'm going to buy a Fuze because the zen is good but the no card integration just suck

Cumps

Old 09-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I had a Clip, which has the same sound as the Fuze, and the SQ was a lot better than my Zen with a flat EQ.
I can only compare it using my memory, because I had a creative x-fi + sennheiser cx300 for about a month, and then traded it for a Sansa Fuze + Denon AH-C551, which is a big difference in sound quality.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 AM

Greetings!
I have already bought a sansa fuze 4gb
I just want to ask if it is normal when charging docked to a pc that the lcd of fuze is always on showing a connection with the pc.
The pc is running linux and the was in msc mode.
My zen when is charging only shows the batery simbol and the lcd have little light but the fuze has is lcd always on with the maximum light.

Cumps

Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Yeah that's normal, the lcd stays on at the brightness level you set. I don't leave it plugged into a computer often, but I think it might turn off the display after an hour (or is that just the clip?)

Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.
On my zen i use a charger from a motorola phone and charges the zen perfectly with out the need to connect to a pc so it only displays the batery charging icon, but for the sansa fuze i need a charger that has a usb out for the sansa cable.
I have a active hub that i don't use but the spects on the charger of the hub are 5 volts and 2.2 amp so i guess it is a little too much current to charger the sansa unless the hub regulates the current to 500 mamp to each of the 4 doors on the hub.
I am loocking for another way to charge my sansa because it is more convenient and with the experience that i have with the zen a charge with a charger last long than a charge connected to a pc because of the connection function on the players.

Cumps

Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

fuze sound quility is better then the zen and most other portible players, I have personally comparied it to the Zune30,zune8, ipod(varous versions),cowan d2, samsung t10 and u3 as well as varous asian players that most would call "no name"

fuze and clip sound ALOT better even with lower end phones like jvc marshies and other 20-30$ phones, the better the phones the better they sound.

The EQ is ASS for music tho, HORRIBLE, for audio books/voice its usefull if you get older recordings or poor encodes as it can cut off the artifacts and help hide the defects.

For charging the fuze, just buy a cheap ipod charger kit from bocity on ebay, and use the stock fuze cable, With the charger you can play music with it plugged in and using a charger like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Cable-wall-c...4.c0.m14.l1262
will charge the fuze FAR FAR faster then using the USB cable and a computer( from 100% dead to full charge in 15min from my experiance)

that is the kit i bought a few months ago, just tossed the usb cable, used the one the fuze came with.

they do sell kits for the fuze that come with all the little extras you may want. My advice to anybody getting a fuze is to get a skin for it not just a poly case!!!
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...sa-Fuze/Detail
the poly cases and other cases let stuff get inside and can endup with little scratches and such, the above skin is the same as the invisible shield but alot cheaper, you CANT scratch the player/screen with that baby on it!!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 PM

I think the sound quality of the Fuze is better than the Zen. The build of the Fuze is better feeling and the controls feel nicer. I think Fuze is a better fit for ambidextrous use, Zen fits neither hand well IMO. The Zen software added some goofy device permanently to my Windows list, and the Fuze did not need one. The memory card integration of the Fuze is far far better than the unfortunate Zen, and it makes the difference to us. We own 3 Fuze and 1 Zen.

Nobody mentioned the Zen video! Its pixel count makes watching movies distinctly better than Fuze. Apparently nobody uses these for movies because the video rippers we are given are nearly non-functional.