android
Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Pico Slim Portable Amp

I know this is old news as the product was announce on HeadAmp’s site on May 5 and already shown at CanJam 09 in LA at the end of May, but didn’t see a thread here on it and thought it’s worth mentioning it as it’s one that I am interested in.

Not sure how many know of HeadAmp, a small audio electronics company out of Charlottesville, VA that builds portable headphone amps, home headphone amps, electrostatic headphone amps and now an addition to their portables. Due for release in late summer, smaller than their current pico and it’s .4” thin, 1.75” wide and 3” long.

You can read some info on HeadAmp here or you can follow the thread started by the owner Justin Wilson on headfi here, where he also has a rendered picture comparing it to the pico.

Edit: Found these pictures on google images:

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-28-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM

Talking

mouthwatering!!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM

I'm sure it will be as sweet as the original pico and that one is just plain sexy

From the people I spoke with that tried it at canjam, it's really nice, can’t wait, should hopefully be out in October. You can read Justin's latest update here.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have to wonder why the internals of that amp have been scratched off.

Still, the Pico is probably the best looking portable amp available. Well not that i've seen them all or anything.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Have to wonder why the internals of that amp have been scratched off. ...
JW probably didn't want RS to copy his new amp with RS's new Shadow introduction comming soon

Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

because this is smaller than shadow, i think i am more interesting with this one

Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 PM

60 hr battery life! Any idea about pricing? I have to start saving up(Even if its 30 bucks)

Old 09-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin_Zombie View Post
60 hr battery life! Any idea about pricing? I have to start saving up(Even if its 30 bucks)
It'll be a lot more than $30....although I'm sure it will be a very nice amp.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
because this is smaller than shadow, i think i am more interesting with this one
Not sure if it will be smaller or not, sure seems like it might. Although with the battery life (60hr), programmable/updateable feature set, adjustable balance, high end potentiometer, killer case (machined out of a solid block of aluminum) and more surprises to be announced, I am throwing my name on the list, I sure didn't go wrong with the first pico

Edit: Rockin_Zombie try adding a zero +, my guess is $350, give or take a few bucks

Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 PM

For me this is the only interesting portable amp in a long time...

Here's photos of a current prototype, with the input on the back (courtesy of Duggeh on Head-Fi):

Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM

I saw those, it's really starting to look great but did you have any doubt, considering the others headamp makes

BTW, here's a link to the other pic, not that great, but might be of interest: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6009916-post423.html and the one below looks just like mine

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, this has me interested as well. Finally an amp that's small, has great battery life, and should sound amazing. Put that on the back of the Zune HD and it'll actually have some friggin' volume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Wow, this has me interested as well. Finally an amp that's small, has great battery life, and should sound amazing. Put that on the back of the Zune HD and it'll actually have some friggin' volume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought you told me in irc that you were going to return it

Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I thought you told me in irc that you were going to return it
I planned on it, but if I'm getting shafted w/a restocking fee I might just keep it a see where it goes. Besides, it'll make a great gift for someone else.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:32 PM

Update on size from Justin at HeadAmp here, can't wait till this one come out, I'm saving my pennies

Edit: Looks like December now :/
Quote:
Because the Pico Slim is so much thinner than the original rendering shown in Post 1, there is no room for the engraving above or below the jacks/switches, so it will be placed on the beveled edge. Got a sample of that, looks great. Also have the volume knobs. The larger batteries are on the way. Likely have 1 or 2 more prototype circuit boards before it is final. My goal is to ship these in December but all it takes is ONE part to not be available and it won't happen. I'll do the best I can on it.
Edit 2: Image that shows the final size and shape of the Pico Slim, finished dimensions are .37x1.55x3.15" click here

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM

For those that are not following along on headfi, here are some updates to the Pico Slim thread from Justin Wilson of HeadAmp. I have abbreviated the posts to keep this update post shorter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
Update -

The prototype finished running with a battery life of 72 hours. That's a significant increase from the original 40-50 hours, while the enclosure is also now 20% smaller. This isn't due to changes in the circuit, it still uses the same amount of power, just changes to the layout that allowed a larger battery to fit. …

Quote:
The battery pack will cut off automatically when the voltage gets too low, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for battery leakage, after about a year of non-use you can expect the charge to be about 2/3 full. 1 week without use is nothing

I really don't think there's much you can do to increase the life of the battery, so don't worry about how you use it and charge it. They are rated for 500 cycles, which means the battery is expected to be at 70% of its original capacity after that usage. At 8 hours use per day, that would be 12 years. So that rating is only useful for devices like cell phones that might only have 2 hours of talk time, because batteries like this only last about 3 years whether you use them or not. All the MacBooks and iPhones have internal batteries and they are far more taxing on the batteries, and you can't replace any of them easily. Hasn't hurt their sales, so they don't care. At least I'm honest about this and I've made it extremely easy for the battery to be changed. Remove 4 phillips screws, unplug battery, plug in new battery, put screws back in. That's it. I guarantee to offer new batteries for at least 10 years, and beyond that there are hundreds of other battery cells that can fit. By that time the latest technology will probably get several hundred hours of life in a Pico Slim.

Quote:
There will be the same kinds of colors as with the regular pico. but they may be offered slightly differently this time. each color will be a limited run, of maybe 10 or 20 units, and will be made all at once and have "1 of 10, 2 of 10" laser engraving as the serial # for that color. once that color is sold out, it will not return. For the pre-orders I will likely just have black and silver.

Most important \o/
Quote:
I get the circuit boards in 1 week so I'm waiting until then to announce the pre-order

Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Update: looks like the user adjustable features are out :/

Quote:
It's not going to be in any Pico Slim...enough has been done already
I have asked for clarification to the above stament and awaiting a response ...

Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 AM

Justin set pricing - "The pre-order pricing will be $349 with a regular price of $399 after that, plus shipping costs."

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6188343-post899.html

Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ehh, not that anyone was expecting it to cost anything less. Will be passing up on this little thing no sweat :P 200$ would have been easy to justify still, 250$ would have given it some thought 300$ is already in the "Like hell, I got better things to spend my money on." zone 400$ well that just seems retarded.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Default 400 $

omg that is just way too much. seriously. it bettere be revolutionary. i doubt though... small size+ no hiss ... i got it.. but still...??!?!?!? i was willing to pay 250 ... shame...