android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi2

Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 AM

Nobody has actually used this player and yet it getting knocked. I have a Zen 4 which is great, but since I decided to go to a higher bit rate I'm giong to get atleast a 16gig by December. Anyway the X-fi II is 240 for 32 gigs, I figure the X-Fi 32 is up for a price drop.Good news for me. I have no interist in touch screens or video, just capacity and sound and under 200 bucks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
Nobody has actually used this player and yet it getting knocked. I have a Zen 4 which is great, but since I decided to go to a higher bit rate I'm giong to get atleast a 16gig by December. Anyway the X-fi II is 240 for 32 gigs, I figure the X-Fi 32 is up for a price drop.Good news for me. I have no interist in touch screens or video, just capacity and sound and under 200 bucks.
players like the Zen and the Vision M are a well above and beyond what Creative's current lineup looks like...they have gone downhill and FAST

Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
players like the Zen and the Vision M are a well above and beyond what Creative's current lineup looks like...they have gone downhill and FAST
Though the Vision M was by far the best player they ever came out with don't patronize by putting the Zen even close to it. Creatives fall started with the Zen. It's the Xfi minus a few worthless bells and whistles. If you want a apps and like the Zune software and don't mind paying $14.99 a month to rent as much music as you want (until you cancel then it's gone), then the Zune is your player. It looks very good and the hardware seems pretty solid. If you want to actually buy rather than lease go with something like the Xfi2, but I think there are plenty of players that will do far better than either one. The Samsung P3 and Cowon S9 to name two.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertrash View Post
I have no interist in touch screens or video, just capacity and sound and under 200 bucks.
Sansa Clip+ 8GB with a couple of 16GB microsdhc cards would be well under $200.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Though the Vision M was by far the best player they ever came out with don't patronize by putting the Zen even close to it. Creatives fall started with the Zen. It's the Xfi minus a few worthless bells and whistles. If you want a apps and like the Zune software and don't mind paying $14.99 a month to rent as much music as you want (until you cancel then it's gone), then the Zune is your player. It looks very good and the hardware seems pretty solid. If you want to actually buy rather than lease go with something like the Xfi2, but I think there are plenty of players that will do far better than either one. The Samsung P3 and Cowon S9 to name two.
my apologies, i was thinking of the Zen V. The Zen is crap too

Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
my apologies, i was thinking of the Zen V. The Zen is crap too
I never had a ZVM. My Zen has been bullet proof for over 6 months. It got me back into listening to music, especially punk rock. It sounds to me that Creative rushed it and it was junk, but after a while they got the bugs worked out. I'll probably be getting the 32 gig Zen or possibly Zen X-Fi.
I also consider Sony's new E Series (has standard USB cable) and Cowons. The Zen gets the edge right now as I know what I have with it and there's no 32 gig thats less expensive. I hope the X-Fi 2 does well, but not interisted in touch screen. The Clip + would be perfect but only 15 hrs rated battery life, probably less operating from SD card.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 AM

Just read an artical on The samsung M1 and i am interested. It supports everything i need also supports H264, called up samsung India they say new touch screens music player will arrive in a short time.

So M1 or the XFi2, well truth be told in-front of the M1 the XFi2 loses its flavor lets see what the price of the M1 comes to and if it will support 3rd party OS like android.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 AM

This player really hasnt been officially released as yet and if it has its probably still on its first firmware or beta firmware, no one here yet has bought this player and already the whingers are coming out of the woodwork. Really I think we have to wait and see when this thing is officially 100% released, more firmware updates are out etc than we can talk and give our feedback and opinion.

Remember when the Iphone came out it had bugger all, not even MMS but after some firmware updates it now supports it.

For me the most important thing with an MP3 player is its SQ, I am not worried or give a crap about stuff like WiFi, this and that, yes FLAC is a bonus, batt life etc, but I would rather have a MP3 player than can drive a good quality set of headphones with ease than worry about WiFI. If you want WiFI than for heavens sake but a bloody laptop or WiFI PDA and surf the web at your hearts content.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 AM

I liked my X-Fi...to a point. Very good SQ, but always seemed like an unfinished product sadly rushed to market. Considering that, I'd wonder if the same will be true with the X-Fi2; it's represents a big makeover from last year's X-Fi. How likely is it that Creative will nail it on their first go-around? I say 'not likely'. At least with Microsoft, they've had some time to develop the HD, since their just-discontinued models were essentially refreshed carryovers from 2007 and took very little attention away from their product designers and engineers.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinoni View Post
This player really hasnt been officially released as yet and if it has its probably still on its first firmware or beta firmware, no one here yet has bought this player and already the whingers are coming out of the woodwork. Really I think we have to wait and see when this thing is officially 100% released, more firmware updates are out etc than we can talk and give our feedback and opinion.

Remember when the Iphone came out it had bugger all, not even MMS but after some firmware updates it now supports it.

For me the most important thing with an MP3 player is its SQ, I am not worried or give a crap about stuff like WiFi, this and that, yes FLAC is a bonus, batt life etc, but I would rather have a MP3 player than can drive a good quality set of headphones with ease than worry about WiFI. If you want WiFI than for heavens sake but a bloody laptop or WiFI PDA and surf the web at your hearts content.
I had a 32gb X-Fi 1, I liked the player alot, it sounded nice, and was built good and solid, and overall it was small and easy to handle. I did not like the Buttons on the front face, glad to see creative eliminated them. I've preordered a zune, but truth be told I've been a bit more intrested in the XFi2, am I crazy or what? The previous MX line had the 16 million color screen, why did creative go back to the same screen they had prior to that?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can now order the X-Fi2 through Creative's site.
$130 for 8gb.
$180 for 16gb.
$230 for 32gb.
Specs are there as well. It comes with Alarm, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks app. External speaker too.

Codec support seems decent. No clue if it'll play gapless but I doubt it. Still, the design and screen seem very dated to me. As if Creative has been sleeping the last two years.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinoni View Post

sorry, but it is 'officially released'. You can pre-order it at amazon.com

Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypu View Post
sorry, but it is 'officially released'. You can pre-order it at amazon.com
no, it hasnt. It's been available for pre-order. Released means that it's available to be purchased and taken home and used. That's what he was getting at. People are saying this, that, or the other and no one even owns it. But i still think it's gonna be great and that this xfi2 is crap.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM

the release date is Oct 1.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 PM

Default So how do most of you procure your music?

It sounds like no one on this site uses subscription music, but renting my music has saved me at least 5 bucks a month and keeps my library fresh and I've gotten more enjoyment out of my Zen 16. I also have used audible and amazon on-demand video which only work on certain players. And the one trick that Creative is able to pull off that no other MP3 player I've seen is able to do is allow you to create a named permanent playlist from the device itself. I've bought two different Zens and had problems out of both but I can't find another player that can do all four of those things. Maybe Creative doesn't publicize that it's arguably the most compatible player on the market but I don't know of a player that can do all of those.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 AM

I'm still rooting that the Creative does well. What bothers me about the forums & reviews is everyone harps on the lack of SD card integration. Meanwhile Sony is lauded for great sound and build but never a gripe about no SD card at all. I haven't used the SD slot on my player, and since it doesn't integrate I probably won't. However should I for some reason decide to watch a movie on that small screen just to see if I can keep from going crosseyed, then I'll use the SD card. I also might decide to use it for pics and save all the player space for just music and nothing else.
Bet you can't do that on a Zune HD. Nothing against that player but nobody complains about it not having an SD card slot at all. As much as I sometimes find myself leaning toward that $99 E-Series Sony 16(As it's probably the best choice for me) the rebel in me wants another Creative.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, to settle this argument my 16gb X-Fi2 arrived via USPS today and I'm listening to (the sample files on) it right now. First thoughts:

- Nicely (and securely) packaged.
- Comes with in-canal "premium" earbuds which actually sound pretty decent.
- Seems well-built but very lightweight. Back appears like brushed aluminum but feels like plastic. I'm betting on plastic.
- The UI is immature compared to Samsung P2/P3, Cowon S9, Zune HD, iPod Touch, and others. Even though this is Creative's first touchscreen (is it?) I still expected better.
- Videos look OK. Photos look OK. Nothing to write home about.
- Audible support, with one included example.
- Radio... swipe does work to advance or recede through preset stations. No RDS but you can name presets.
- Clock. Analog or digital view. Built-in speaker and alarm function too.
- Voice recording. Haven't tried it yet.

So far I'm so-so about it. Sound quality is good though, just with the included songs. I'll get back with more info in a day or two.

Olley

Old 09-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Yes this is Creative's first touch player.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One great feature I just noticed is an alphabetic search in the music track list. Tap to turn on a sliding alphabet. Tap a letter or number and the songs jump instantly to those starting with that letter.

There's an on-screen 5-star rating feature. You've got a submenu with access to bookmarking, EQ (one custom user setting), Song details, Artist lookup, Remove track, playlist, and play modes.

The touchscreen remains a bit un-predictable. It doesn't always react on first touch.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've gotten used to the screen response. It doesn't react instantly to touch like the Zune HD and Sony capacitance screens do. Yet if you touch for a brief second then slide, it slides along fine. Apparently it takes a moment to decide if your touch was intentional or not. Probably a hard issue to deal with the first time around designing a touch UI.

The Music app has a nice DJ option.
It includes
- Album of the day
- Random all play
- Most Popular
- Rarely Heard
- Highly Rated
- Yet to be rated.
Pick any one and it creates a 20 song playlist from the songs that match your choice.