android
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Nice to hear it is louder then, I am looking forward to your assessment of the speakers and the recording functions.
Some pics are up in the show off your gear thread.

The speakers are pretty much what you would expect....you're not going to hear any bass, of course. There is an option called "Built In SP Optimizer" which seems to bypass any EQ settings you're using and fills out the speakers' sound a little better. You can hear them ok in a quiet room, but I don't expect to use them much, except maybe for a podcast or something.

They actually face out the back of the player, not the front....so the holes on the front must be for the "Bass_reflex" effect

As far as the recording, that is something I've never tried with any of my players, and since I have less than 10MB free, probably won't with this one either.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 09-08-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Do you think the S545 has higher output power than many other Sony players? I think many Sony players put out 5 mw/channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, last night I set up the same song on the S545 and the Clip, both players with flat EQ/no enhancements, both players at 50% volume, and with the KSC75 and the SR60i, the Sony was noticeably louder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
that is good, did you see if the dynamic normalizer was turned off?
As a further update, I compared the Q2 and S545 with no enhancements/EQ/normalizer today, with one song on my Grados. Their sound flat is just about equal....I might be hard pressed to distinguish them in a blind test. I did only do it with just the one song, so it's not a completely scientific test, but it satisfied my curiosity.

One difference though, was power. The S545 has a little less than the Q2, but more than a Clip. Volume was 13/30 on Q2 and 15/30 for S545 to be even.

With EQ and enhancements I might give a slight edge to Q2 because there's more to work with, but the two players are pretty damn close, and both sound excellent.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM

After sound, which would you say is better Marvin out of the Q2 and S545?
(Suddenly got a lot of great bands coming to do gigs in liverpool, so I might ditch the P3 idea and get the S series instead; there's a ticket in the saving )

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
After sound, which would you say is better Marvin out of the Q2 and S545?
(Suddenly got a lot of great bands coming to do gigs in liverpool, so I might ditch the P3 idea and get the S series instead; there's a ticket in the saving )
It's really hard to say which is better. It would be a photo finish if they were racehorses crossing the finish line.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM

How is the SQ of the S545 compared to the previous S639? Is there any difference?

The SenseMe functionality, podcast support, design, and price, have me leaning toward the older S639.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferreir View Post
How is the SQ of the S545 compared to the previous S639? Is there any difference?

The SenseMe functionality, podcast support, design, and price, have me leaning toward the older S639.
I've never heard the S639, so I can't say. I've always heard great things about it.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Marvin. does the S545 support low bitrate files? I often play podcasts that are at 16 or 24 kbps. So far most of the Sony mp3 players I have seen won't play files below 32 kbps. I don't want to have to convert files and have them take up more room on the player.

Does the S545 connect in MSC? Does it have folder browsing? how is the bookmarking on it? Does it separate podcasts and audiobooks from music? if one plays part of a book then some music, does the player save the place in the book(both the specific book file and place within the file) for easy resumption?

Last edited by JK98; 09-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hello Marvin. does the S545 support low bitrate files? I often play podcasts that are at 16 or 24 kbps. So far most of the Sony mp3 players I have seen won't play files below 32 kbps. I don't want to have to convert files and have them take up more room on the player.

Does the S545 connect in MSC? Does it have folder browsing? how is the bookmarking on it? Does it separate podcasts and audiobooks from music? if one plays part of a book then some music, does the player save the place in the book(both the specific book file and place within the file) for easy resumption?
Hi JK98. I couldn't say how low of a bitrate it supports. I've only used it for music, and just this morning, a video podcast. As far as audio podcasts, there is no seperate podcast area.....they have to go in the music area. The video ones I added were loaded into the video section by the Content Transfer Software(CTS) .

There is folder mode, so you can add an audio podcast and access it via folder mode (just tried this) , but if you pause it and go to music, it does not bookmark. Going back to it means starting at the beginning again.

The previous generation apparently could be forced into MSC mode, but this one is MTP(unless there is a force for this one as well that I don't know about). You can drag and drop via Explorer, use a media manager, like MediaMonkey, or use the CTS, which shows up as a small box on your screen that you can drag and drop your files onto. CTS then loads them into the player, and it seems to work very well so far. I don't bother with the Explorer method.....I've used both MediaMonkey and the CTS with no complaints.

I've actually been using my Q2 for podcasts, given the impending sale of my Clip. Since the Q2 is MSC-selectable, and I wanted to avoid the Emodio program, I simply created a "PODCASTS" folder that I cut and paste my audio podcasts into, then I access them via folder browsing on the Q2. If I pause them and shut down the player, it remembers where I stopped, but it does not bookmark if I switch to music, and then go back.

For my usage patterns, this is ok, but from what you have described here and on the other forum, it sounds like this wouldn't work for you. It seems like the Fuze is the best fit for your listening habits, too bad it doesn't have the battery life of one of these two players( for spoken word no EQ is necessary, so battery drain is minimal).

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 09-15-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks Marvin for the detailed information. It seems like the designers of these players don't have much experience with using them for both podcasts or audiobooks and music, and have not thought about making it easy to go back and forth without losing the place, especially for untagged podcasts.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Does the S545 support low bitrate files?
@JK98: All of the following bitrates played fine on my S545:

32kbps 11khz Mono
24kbps 22khz Mono
20kbps 11khz Mono
18kbps 11khz Mono
16kbps 11khz Mono
8kbps 11khz Mono
32kbps 11khz Stereo
24kbps 11khz Stereo
20kbps 11khz Stereo
18kbps 11khz Stereo

But like Marvin the Martian said, this thing doesn't have any audiobook/podcast support anymore. Last year's S639 had a podcast folder that would save the paused point of all MP3's and MP4's in it and would let your resume playback at that paused point. This S545 will only resume the last played MP3 or video played.

There isn't even a Podcast folder anymore. I manually created a Podcast folder (+ a subfolder like on the S639) and manually added a test MP3 into it to see if it would remember the paused point like on an S639 - no luck. It didn't work. The MP3 showed up under "All Songs" (sorted by ID3 - it didn't show up in the folder view) and was treated like a regular music file.

I even tried putting an MP3 into the FM and Voice recording folder to see if that would work but the player didn't detect the added MP3's (even after renaming the copied file to the file name format specific to recorded files).

Matt

Old 09-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks Matt. at least Sony is heading in the right direction by having support for lower bitrate files. Past Sony players balked and refused to play files under 32 kbps.

The lack of a separate podcast area is very annoying. I don't want podcasts in my song lists, and don't want podcasts to play when I shuffle my songs.

The lack of bookmarks is bad. I want an easy way to toggle between untagged podcasts played in folder mode and music, being able to play part of a podcast, some music, then turn off the player, and have it resume the podcast(remembering the podcasts file name, place in the file, and folder browsing mode) when I choose a resume podcast function. I have not found any player that does this. The ones that come closest to doing this are the Fuze and Clip+, as they remember the place in the podcast file, but not which podcast file was playing last for untagged podcasts played in folder mode(it will remember the file if it was tagged properly and played in album mode.

Last edited by JK98; 09-20-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM

I'm considering getting a S545 and was wondering if it supports unicode. Also does the drag & drag function work with file names that are in Chinese/Korean/Japanese ? Thanks!!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I'm considering getting a S545 and was wondering if it supports unicode. Also does the drag & drag function work with file names that are in Chinese/Korean/Japanese ? Thanks!!
Not sure about unicode, but I'll assume you could drag n drop files names that are in Chinese/Korean/Japanese since I can drag n drop Korean file/songs just fine on my old S610.

Last edited by quintets_man; 10-01-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks quintets! The specifications say that it can display Korean and Chinese but leaves out Japanese (weird, if you ask me, since it's a Japanese company). I'll assume that it should work then.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Thanks quintets! The specifications say that it can display Korean and Chinese but leaves out Japanese (weird, if you ask me, since it's a Japanese company). I'll assume that it should work then.
Well Japanese is displayed in the Language settings so I'd assume it works...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM

^ Oh, nevermind. Thanks for the confirmation