android
Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Major problems with Video conversion.

I cannot get videos to play on my Spinn. The conversion tool that came on the CD stops half way, or doesn't even recognize that I opened a file to convert. When I try using other conversion programs, either my Spinn won't show them on my videos list or the whole thing freezes when I try to play the video.

I've tried mp4, avi, wmv, flv... nothing works. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzlue View Post
I've tried mp4, avi, wmv, flv... nothing works. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Those are all containers. You need an avi or wmv container, but more relevant is the codec used.
I suggest trying MPEG-4 ASP like in XVID.
If you don't know what I am talking about just get something like Format Factory (basically just a MEncoder frontend)

Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 PM

I downloaded format factory, but it converts the videos into MP4 when I chose the specs for the iriver spinn, mp4s don't even show up on my spinn.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:47 PM

Ditch the program included with the spinn and try alltoavi, is a great free program that converts virtually every video format I've thrown into it to perfectly play for the spinn. Just follow the tutorial given in the site, if you do everything as said (besides adjusting the video size) everything will be played in the spinn, at least it does for all the vids I've converted. Just make sure none of the video's sides surpass the 480x272 pixel ratio.

If there's something you don't get about the program, just post and I'll try to help you (unless the original programmer already did)

Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaku View Post
Ditch the program included with the spinn and try alltoavi, is a great free program that converts virtually every video format I've thrown into it to perfectly play for the spinn. Just follow the tutorial given in the site, if you do everything as said (besides adjusting the video size) everything will be played in the spinn, at least it does for all the vids I've converted. Just make sure none of the video's sides surpass the 480x272 pixel ratio.

If there's something you don't get about the program, just post and I'll try to help you (unless the original programmer already did)

I take it it doesn't work with FLV's? Any the guide is rather hard to read, I think I'm missing something.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I take it it doesn't work with FLV's? Any the guide is rather hard to read, I think I'm missing something.
It works with flv too (especially when you wanna save those funny youtube videos =D). I'll describe you the steps I follow, once you get the hang of it is easy as pie!

1-run installation file
2-once it's installed, right click the icon (in the desktop) and choose "run as administrator" (very important!)
3-click on the button "Add file".

3b-if it's flv format, a window will pop out with the title "H.264 Detection" and it "recommends to switch to more restricted special mode". Ignore this and just click "no" (in fact choose no every time this window pops out).

4-a window titled "Add Job" will pop out, here you only need to input these:

Video Encoder => choose XVID
Video bitrate => choose "high quality"

Everything else should already be done. You can experiment with subtitles and audio if your file has one or more, but I haven't tried it yet.

5-the rest leave as it is, with the exception of "screen size" ("locked aspect ratio" must be clicked) and change the width to 480 or less, depending on the size of your video. Make sure that none of the sides surpass the 480 x 272 sizes, one of them should always be either 480 or 272 and the other is lesser.

For example, if you are trying to convert a youtube video, it will usually have a 320x240 ratio. To make it fit, change the width 320 to 363, the height side will change to 272 by itself.

Another example: If you vid is 1280x720, change the width 1280 to 480, the height will change to 270 by itself.

The key is to keep one side exactly fitted to the screen size so it takes advantage of the space while still looking pretty (I think it got a bit confusing so if don't understand just scream bloody murder and I'll explain it again ^^).

6-now just click "Add Job" button (in that same popped window) the window will go away and your video will be listed on the white box. Keep on adding vids, just remember to adjust the size as necessary.

If by any chance your video name has chinese/korean/japanese characters, a window saying "the file path contains strange characters!" will appear. Just ignore it and try anyway (aka choose "yes").

7-after you're done with your vids, click the "convert!" button, and that's it! The videos will be stored in a folder the program makes automatically titled "converted", it will be within the folder you chose your files from.

Anyway that's what I do and never had problems like I had with the program the player comes with. If you have any problems or there's sth you don't understand, just post or send a PM.

Last edited by yaku; 09-17-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 AM

Hey Yaku can you explain it to me once again? I did everything you said and it converted the video for like 1 second and it's 0 kb;(((

Also when I selected width and put 480 it wouldn't let me check/uncheck the box without setting the height as well. So should I set width to 480 and the height to 272? Or how do I skip that? And why it does not convert for me? Thank in advance man

Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks a ton yaku! I don't know what I was doing but.. I guess you helped.

So I just have to make sure the video size is proportional to the resolution of the screen? I'm alright enough with computers, I'm just clueless when it comes to formats...

Old 09-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesbenz View Post
Hey Yaku can you explain it to me once again? I did everything you said and it converted the video for like 1 second and it's 0 kb;(((

Also when I selected width and put 480 it wouldn't let me check/uncheck the box without setting the height as well. So should I set width to 480 and the height to 272? Or how do I skip that? And why it does not convert for me? Thank in advance man
I'm not too sure what you did, I looked at my steps and everything I do is there. Maybe the vid has some errors? if you could tell me what you did step by step I could have a better grasp of what happened.

The "locked aspect ratio" needs to be selected before hand (in fact the only things you should change are the encoder, bitrate and screen size, everything else should already be set).

Only set the width (let the program set the height). For example if you set the width to 480 and the height ends up being 360 it will be too big for the screen, so you have to change the width to a lesser size until the height is 272 pixels wide. Width or height can be 480/272 or less, but never higher than that.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks a ton yaku! I don't know what I was doing but.. I guess you helped.

So I just have to make sure the video size is proportional to the resolution of the screen? I'm alright enough with computers, I'm just clueless when it comes to formats...
If you don't wanna squash your videos, then just make sure to keep the"locked aspect ratio" selected (it should already be) and change only the width to 480 or less; the height will change by itself. You just have to make sure that none of the sizes surpass the 480/272 ratio.

I'm not sure if people are understanding me, English is not my first language so...

Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Thanks man! I guess the issue comes when I set the width to 480 and leave the height blank and lock aspect ratio it gives me a window with that message: " Height box invalid"

;((((
What should I do? Do I set both video and audio bitrates?Thanks once again

Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Now I tried to convert videos with width set and empty height. It won't let me do it. Bot of them must be set!? And even if I do it convert somehow it does not convert I see 0 kb;((( I mean like it goes through but no video only empty video file of 0 kb size;(

Old 09-19-2009, 10:25 PM

@Mercedesbenz: make sure the "aspect ratio" is locked before you do anything; the program then will allow you to change only the width (but you can see the numbers in both anyways). When you change the width, you'll see that the height changes by itself. Just make sure neither the width or height are higher than 480/272 pixels (they can be lower)

Old 09-20-2009, 12:57 AM

I lock it and it lets me set the width value to 480 but it will not alter height value automatically for me. When I unlock the height then it lets me change it as well to 272 for instance then I lock it again and then only I'm able to convert but like I said it wouldn't convert at all!;( It shows only 0 kb file and converts for like 1 second;(((

So what do I do? Can you shoot a youtube video example?

Old 09-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I downloaded format factory, but it converts the videos into MP4 when I chose the specs for the iriver spinn, mp4s don't even show up on my spinn.
Hi. In Format Factory, try to choose "All to AVI - option". I use that software for converting to divx. Or converting from flv to divx. The Software AllToAvi i use for converting to Xvid since i think it does a better job on that format.

Last edited by Bolt1919; 09-23-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesbenz View Post
I lock it and it lets me set the width value to 480 but it will not alter height value automatically for me. When I unlock the height then it lets me change it as well to 272 for instance then I lock it again and then only I'm able to convert but like I said it wouldn't convert at all!;( It shows only 0 kb file and converts for like 1 second;(((

So what do I do? Can you shoot a youtube video example?
I have no idea why it's not working for you, I followed the steps I wrote down previously and everything comes out fine O_o I'm sorry but I don't have the time to shot a video just for this; if you lock the aspect ratio before adjusting the size (and as I said it should already be selected) then the height changes by itself when you input a new width. I don't understand why it doesn't work in your side.

What I can tell you to do at this point is contact the programmer, check out the programs FAQS or experiment by yourself for a bit until you find out what's wrong. Did you right click the launch icon and choose "run as administrator"? I remember that gave me quite some problems until I figured it out.

In my experience this is the best and easiest program I've found to convert any kind of videos for my spinn but maybe is not the right one for you. I saw other choices out there, so you can also consider picking something else and give them a try, that's what I do until I get something I'm comfortable with.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:16 AM

Thanks

Tags
conversion, error, video