android
Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Default Looking for a good, legal way of getting films onto PMP.

Hi, I just bought a samsung p3 8GB (in the UK) and I'm looking for a way of getting films onto it. I don't want to get DVD ripping software -- I'd rather stay legal -- and BBC iPlayer has hardly any films on it.

Thanks in advance,
AlexMck

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

CinemaNow. Movies they sell for the P2 work fine on the P3.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Isn't ripping DVDs legal as long as you don't distribute them?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 AM

personally i rip DVD and hate illegal downloads
as far as i am concerned as i have bought and paid for the DVD, i go to the movies and i will convert for my players and play them and watch them, i don't truthfully think its legal to do this but for this i dont care -

i bought and paid for them, i do not distribute the files AT ALL and if the authorities want to come and knock my door down they are welcome, but there are many more people out there who are downloading illegally that its a waste of time coming for people like me

just convert your DVD you are not going to be caught or prosecuted (famous last words!!) but for me my conscience is clear and as i have bought and paid for all my DVD then i will watch them however i want

Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maderin1 View Post
as far as i am concerned as i have bought and paid for the DVD, i go to the movies and i will convert for my players and play them and watch them, i don't truthfully think its legal to do this but for this i dont care -

i bought and paid for them, i do not distribute the files AT ALL and if the authorities want to come and knock my door down they are welcome, but there are many more people out there who are downloading illegally that its a waste of time coming for people like me

just convert your DVD you are not going to be caught or prosecuted (famous last words!!) but for me my conscience is clear and as i have bought and paid for all my DVD then i will watch them however i want
Well I see like ripping music from a CD... and as far as I am concerned, that is legal.. (although there was a case that a man ended up getting in a trouble and sued by the RIAA for that... since he was sharing the music he ripped with his wife, that was apparently file sharing -_- man the RIAA is dumb...)

Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM

It can depend on your country, but as far as I know its perfectly legal to rip your own DVDs as long as you don't distribute the copies around.
As for legal movie file downloading, the cool thing about the P3 is (as opposed to say, the S9 or X-series) is that pretty much any movie / video which is compatible with the Ipod Touch / iPhone is compatible with the P3! a quick google search of 'download ipod compatible movies' bought up a couple of promising sites, although they all looked to be American!
My point is there are probably loads of sites with legal ipod ready movies to download, which will work on your P3.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
as far as i am concerned as i have bought and paid for the DVD, i go to the movies and i will convert for my players and play them and watch them, i don't truthfully think its legal to do this but for this i dont care
Yeap.
Legal or not, i paid the dvd. I feel it in my right to make div-x to put on my nas or my pmp.
No harm, no foul.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Zune Moderator

The thing is ripping the DVD itself is not illegal, it's breaking the copy protection to be able to rip it that makes it illegal. At least that is the way it is in the US.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 AM

Yeap. And that why it's illegal to read dvd with linux in the US.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM

OK, so now I know it's pretty much legal, can anyone suggest good DVD ripping software? I tried one once (can't remember which one) and it crashed my computer.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Zune Moderator

I personally use a mixture of DVD43 and Handbrake. DVD43 runs in the background and removes the copy protection, and handbrake actually does the converting.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
I personally use a mixture of DVD43 and Handbrake. DVD43 runs in the background and removes the copy protection, and handbrake actually does the converting.
x2 - I just discovered DVD43, brill program for 'dycrypting on the fly' (removing region copy protection)

Tags
p3, video