android
Old 09-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Couple of issues with my new O2

Hi I recently purchased a Cowon O2 after having my D2 stolen recently and so thought I would try out something new but I have a couple of ssue that I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on.

I upgraded to the latest firmware before putting anything on to the player.

Here are my main problems:
1) The sound seems to be pretty quiet. I use EQ norm/flat and it seems I have to have the volume up to full or very nearly full or the music is too quiet. I am a sound engineer and so not some kid that wants it to blast his head off. The D2 I used to have on about 32 and that was fine, full volume was painful.

2) When I turn on the Mach3Bass the sound gets even quieter, is this a current firmware problem? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The O2 is definitely among the loudest players available, even a bit louder than the D2 (and sporting a better sound circuitry to boot). I measured it against all my other players. Results: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41708

BBE sound enhancements don't really affect the overall perceived volume level, in my experience. Seems there perhaps might be something wrong with yours. Try to reset and/or reinstall the firmware, it can't hurt.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Thanks alot, I'm a bit worried there might be something wrong with it. Is it worth going back to a different firmware? People talk alot about the 1.27?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, that's probably me that talks a lot about 1.27... indeed, it is the least shabby firmware in my opinion. Newer firmwares improve on tiny issues, but break bigger working parts of the firmware at the same time.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Can you think of any reason why when activating the Mach3Bass the volume dips by a substantial amount.

Typically I left the USB cable for this at home and I am at my studio right now so I can't check the firmware thing until at least another 2 hours.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, I can't think of anything. I have ~5 Cowon players, and all behave the same regarding the BBE sound tweaks. It should not get substantially quieter, that's for sure.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM

Yeah, it definitely never happened on my D2. I'm a little frustrated as I was looking forward to this. I'll try a different firmware when I get home otherwise I am going to be trying to battle an ebayshop for a refund.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ouch... good luck.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributing Editor

It doesnt get quieter on my end with the enhancements. I would def try the reboot. Heck, check the sound with the original FW. If its acting up, more than likely a bum one.

I dont go any higher than 34-35

Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Is there a way of resetting to the original firmware without installing it via a computer? Just so I can do something now instead of stuck here twiddling my thumbs for another couple of hours.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, there isn't... but the O2 does have a standard mini-USB port - you sure you don't have that most standard of all cables anywhere around?

What firmware are you running, by the way? And did you try a reset via the rest hole under the plastic flap?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:55 PM

Running 1.35, and yes I tried the reset under the flap. Think I might have a duff one

Old 09-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Found a usb cable, tried to install a previous firmware and it won't let me. Keeps saying firmware installation has failed. Frustration setting in now.