android
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Suggestion: Completely drain the battery, till the player won't start. Then charge it and keep it topped off to your hearts content. This should solve the issue, as the battery meter isn't calibrated, and this usually ends the problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghibli View Post
Finally got myself an A846 yesterday. I'd actually given up on it a while back because of the high price but I suddenly managed to find stores slashing the price by S$100 so I jumped at the chance.

Woah, so how much you got it at and where? If cheap enough I can get one to play around lolx

Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM

Teknosaga
Actually I find the PC's battery indicator is even more inaccurate, so I don't bother looking at it. At first I thought it was a thoughtful feature but I realised the battery levels it shows are usually completely random. For example, notice that when the player is plugged in, it should be charging, but my PC will show it to have the same battery level for hours, even when the player says it's full. Don't know if it's just my PC, is yours accurate then?

The DarkSide
Does it count if the player was already completely drained out of the box?

Xinz
Haha Sim Lim, where else? Got my A846 for SGD450, A845 going for under 400 I think...

Last edited by Ghibli; 06-16-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:44 AM

hmm if stores are slashing prices perhaps a new model is due....

Old 06-17-2010, 08:10 AM

GHIBI - ok, thanks. Then no thanks lolx. Even more expensive than my d2+, so can't be a player i buy to play around

Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
hmm if stores are slashing prices perhaps a new model is due....
I think it's more like stores were having a hard time shifting any at the preposterous original prices... The Walkman brand is not even a default choice for most consumers to begin with.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Sigh, I did what was suggested and completely drained the player a couple of times but the indicater was still at a loss. So i brought it back and got a full refund. It might have also had something to do with it not being as pocket friendly as my previous players (cant navigate it blindly when its in my pocket) and the volume. At first i wasnt bothered by the lower volume but later i found out that the player doesnt treat every song the same way. I know not every song is the same but some songs stopped upping the volume at around 20 bars and if you went any further the songs sound levels would jump around. This is on a custom EQ because thats the only way it sounds good for me.

Anyway im looking all over the place for an older S or A series. Ive already found an A826 but im worried about its capacity (4gb) and theres the S738 (8gb) at the Sony Style store which also has NC.

Can anyone tell me if both of those are still as loud as the Walkmans used to be?

Edit: For anyone wondering the volume is low because of the restrictions on audio players in Europe. Nice....the optional volume limit setting is just there to laugh at your dissapointed looking face.

Last edited by Teknosaga; 06-20-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknosaga View Post
At first i wasnt bothered by the lower volume but later i found out that the player doesnt treat every song the same way. I know not every song is the same but some songs stopped upping the volume at around 20 bars and if you went any further the songs sound levels would jump around. This is on a custom EQ because thats the only way it sounds good for me.
Were you using the Dynamic Normalizer?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknosaga View Post
Sigh, I did what was suggested and completely drained the player a couple of times but the indicater was still at a loss. So i brought it back and got a full refund. It might have also had something to do with it not being as pocket friendly as my previous players (cant navigate it blindly when its in my pocket) and the volume. At first i wasnt bothered by the lower volume but later i found out that the player doesnt treat every song the same way. I know not every song is the same but some songs stopped upping the volume at around 20 bars and if you went any further the songs sound levels would jump around. This is on a custom EQ because thats the only way it sounds good for me.

Anyway im looking all over the place for an older S or A series. Ive already found an A826 but im worried about its capacity (4gb) and theres the S738 (8gb) at the Sony Style store which also has NC.

Can anyone tell me if both of those are still as loud as the Walkmans used to be?

Edit: For anyone wondering the volume is low because of the restrictions on audio players in Europe. Nice....the optional volume limit setting is just there to laugh at your dissapointed looking face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghibli View Post
Were you using the Dynamic Normalizer?
From what is described it sounds like you had a faulty X Walkman. You should have exchanged it first, then gave it a day to test it out.

As for Dynamic Normalizer, it makes all the tracks sound equal in volume. If the volume was jumping all over the place (high & low, up & down,etc) there was something wrong w/the player (X).

Really, 1 lemon isn't indicative of all the X Series Walkman players.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM

Nah dynamic normalizer doesnt do much, yes it does up the volume for some songs but the problem still persisted. I tested a whole bunch of songs with the ''enhancements'' on and off and it didnt make a difference.

@the darkside it was an a845 not an x series walkman.

Anyway i just got the s738 in the mail, charging it up as i type this. Im hoping ill have a better experience with this one. Since its the last gen version im optimistic about it.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions you guys made i appreciate it.

Edit: @the darkside you probably meant ''x'' as a variable, lol. I thought you meant the x series.

Last edited by Teknosaga; 06-22-2010 at 06:05 AM.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I accidentally put in X Series, my bad. Still, the new WalkMan you had (a845) most likely was a lemon - but I hope you get great results w/the S738.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM

First post here, but long time lurker!

I've just got an A845 (I'm in the UK) and although the sound quality is generally great, I can hear a fair bit of crackling/popping on occasion. Does anyone else have this problem? Having read a couple of reviews, I'm pretty sure it's not just me

I'm reluctant to return it as I've just returned a sansa clip + (pitch problem and broken clip) and am feeling a bit like I'm never going to find a decent replacement for my A818 .

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by head2head View Post
I can hear a fair bit of crackling/popping on occasion. Does anyone else have this problem? Having read a couple of reviews, I'm pretty sure it's not just me
I think I recall experiencing something like that once in a while when I first got my A846. Kinda irritating, but come to think of it I haven't heard anything in the last few weeks, and I use my player for about four hours a day...

The A800 series used to have a similar problem (though not as loud), and Sony released a firmware update that cured it.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 AM

guys, here we are!!!!!!

http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/d...2&NewsAreaId=2

Sony finally came to its senses

Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Wow, a 64GB A840, very nice.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Gawd DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want this!!!!!! 64gb of Sony,...................

Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Damn, what about a US release?? I want the new E series and the 64gb A series, shoot.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

can i have ur X if you get a 64GB A series, TDS?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouss View Post
@TDS: Dude...buddy! Forget Curiouss - he's in Canada for goodness sakes! I am local and can save you shipping charges.

Plus I can bring token payment in the form of beers....

PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@TDS: Dude...buddy! Forget Curiouss - he's in Canada for goodness sakes! I am local and can save you shipping charges.

Plus I can bring token payment in the form of beers....

You guys are too late.....the X has moved on.