android
Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Got the NwZ-A846 in HK on the 5th. so its around 'officially'.

issues:
I can't move files around the device in explorer [as in from one folder in device to another within dev.]... says ie 'Cannot move X(filename): The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. '. which is bullshit. Can this be fixed?

bigger than i expected (compared to s639; didn't bother to research size stats ) does sound terrific though - using with senn ie7.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No 64gb in the USA yet, so Sony can KMA - still!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:59 AM

A845 & A846 now on sale in Singapore for S$449 and S$549 respectively. That's roughly US$388 for the 32GB version. I guess it's finally time to upgrade from my A806.

Typical Sony premium... not as eye-wateringly priced as the X-series but still one of the most expensive DAPs you can buy. Then again, those stock earphones are already worth more than an iPod shuffle so we can't really complain...

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghibli View Post
A845 & A846 now on sale in Singapore for S$449 and S$549 respectively. That's roughly US$388 for the 32GB version. I guess it's finally time to upgrade from my A806.

Typical Sony premium... not as eye-wateringly priced as the X-series but still one of the most expensive DAPs you can buy. Then again, those stock earphones are already worth more than an iPod shuffle so we can't really complain...

Any links to some online stores? You can p.m. me them.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 AM

damn almost 400 for the 32gig model :/ I think I will wait for a newer mp3 player sony using the new flash that is 25nm, which I am hoping will happen before september :P

Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM

I've just read on the Walkman FB page that "Sony is listening to all the people who ask for larger capacities"

Don't know what that means, but maybe there's hope for a 32GB release - at least

Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJimbo View Post
I've just read on the Walkman FB page that "Sony is listening to all the people who ask for larger capacities"

Don't know what that means, but maybe there's hope for a 32GB release - at least
Do you have a link?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 AM

Quick question for anyone who knows: will the A840 have on-the-go playlists? My A806 has them but it's a SonicStage device and the only drag-and-drop Sony DAP I have is the W202 which doesn't support playlists at all for obvious reasons...

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but the feature is a real boon and I use it all the time. It'd be kinda disappointing to be taking a step back after so long...

Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM

no on-the-go playlists on the new units yet, drag and drop is present like on all NWZ models.

darkside this is the link to the post on fb
http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?i...657&comments=1

the post was made on feb 2nd

Hi Guys, just to let you know that we’ve been passing your feedback on to our product planning team who have been really interested in your request for more capacity. Just watch this space…

February 2 at 4:48pm

Last edited by Ascariss; 02-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM

If only they'd be "really interested" in a request for lower prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
no on-the-go playlists on the new units yet, drag and drop is present like on all NWZ models.
Thanks... sigh

Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 PM

I don't know if it's been posted or not, but here is a link to the A845/A846 user manual in English:

NWZ-A845/A846 (4.4MB PDF from Sony Asia)

The cover page of the manual only lists the A845 and A846, not the A847. That doesn't sound good. I wonder if that means the A847 won't be released as an NWZ model.

Ghibli posted a link to the S745 manual on my comparison chart page (thanks!). I went through the manuals of the S745 and the A846 and updated the chart. The only differences I could find (besides size and weight), are:

- A840's 2.8" OLED screen vs S745's 2.0" LED LCD screen
- A840 has better noise cancelling (17db vs. S745's 10db)
- A840 has "S Master" digital amp

I was suprised to see that neither the S740 and A840 series have FM recording, Mic recording, sleep timer, or alarm (at least those functions aren't listed in the manual - if anyone has one that has those features, let me know and I'll update the comparison chart).

Quote:
I guess we should have asked for larger capacities and for them to sell them in our markets. Ha Ha.

Matt

Last edited by MattMc3; 02-12-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I get the distinct feeling that 32GB are all we're going to get

No FM recording??? Isn't that the upper right side icon?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
No FM recording??? Isn't that the upper right side icon?
That's what I originally though too. Recording of any kind isn't mentioned in the manual though. The picture of the main menu in the manual is different than the images I've seen online. Maybe this is a change for the NWZ model? I don't see why you need a "Videos" icon and a "Go to video playback screen icon". Seems like a duplication of icons to me. Screenshot below from the NWZ-A845/A846 user manual.

Matt

Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Yeah, that "Go to video playback screen" is useless - I got it mixed up with the new S series upper right icon, which is the in line recording, if I remember well...

I suppose this is the EU/US layout - still, I don't get this noise canceling thing: does Sony really think we use our players only in noisy environments?? I can hardly hear a thing when I have my in ears on a crowded Zürich S-Bahn train, I wonder what do I need noise canceling for...??

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM

@ACJimbo: That picture is from the Sony Asia NWZ-A845/846 user manual. It is definitely a different main menu than the Japanese NW-A840's.

I see that the NWZ-S845 and A846 are in the Sony Australia store now: Link. I didn't see a "click to buy" link though. They also have the NWZ-S744 and S745 that you can buy.

Matt

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMc3 View Post
I was suprised to see that neither the S740 and A840 series have FM recording, Mic recording, sleep timer, or alarm (at least those functions aren't listed in the manual - if anyone has one that has those features, let me know and I'll update the comparison chart).
I doubt it does since Mobile-Review's A845 review lists those functions as iPod nano advantages over the Walkman (see the conclusion).

Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As pissed off as I may get @Sony, that's 1 sexy dap - I really hope it hits the USA in 64gb (Oh GAWD,............PLEASE!!!)!!!!

Old 02-13-2010, 02:00 PM

The A845 is now available on the German/French Sony Store site - € 219 for 16GB, when a Nano is about € 169 - who on earth s going to buy it??? I smell instant fail.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a love/hate relationship w/Sony, so this not being available to me for purchase is killing me.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I absolutely do not buy it. Pure BS.
If Sony really cared they would be reading this forum along with Sony Insider and HeadFi (although those headfi guys think Sony can do no wrong).

Hey Sony, how about a top end player without all the garbage.
Here is what I want right now:
64-128gb flash sold in the USA.
S-master amp.
Get rid of N/C.
Get rid of that stupid album scrolling crap.
No more browsers.
Use a fast processor, not one that is 3 years old.
Bring back the ability to search your music from the now playing screen.
Bring back the initial search.
Gapless playback.
Ability to delete on the fly.

Look Sony, everything listed above is or has been available at one time or another on your players.
Have you just given up on the USA? Are you simply waving the white flag of surrender to Apple?
You guys screwed us last year with the promise of the X series after dragging us along from Jan. to July waiting and hoping. Well, never again will I ever wait for another player from you. I may buy Sony again but never at a premium and never again right away. Someone else can be your cash cow and guinea pig. If and when you ever sell another decent player here in the states I will wait for extensive real world, hands on reviews before I ever buy another Sony.
And one last thing, if you would give us a good solid player with the standard Sony SQ and build quality, people would be willing to pay a little more but the X series proved that you really do not care, now do you.

Edit: One last thought, enough with the rebuilding library !@#$% every time you charge via usb and make no changes to the player itself. I'm tired of starting with the same song everyday. When I shuffle 6500 songs I shouldn't have to re-shuffle just because the battery is low.

Last edited by dmnoland; 02-13-2010 at 04:17 PM.