android
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 AM

Default Archos 5 Internet Tablet Android Questions

Hi. i am very much interested in buying this product and this device really looks brilliant on paper and features and the more i get interested the more questions i want to ask:

1. without wi-fi around i heard you can "tether" it with a 3G mobile phone using bluetooth. is that correct? would that in essence mean using the mobile phone's 3G signal to surf the net via the Archos5 whenever possible?

2. i heard we can use 3-party softwares in order to upload music or photos or videos to the Archos5?

3. is there a Playlist list among the Music menu? can you add and delete songs on-the-fly on a playlist?

4. i read the video playback supports MKV. is this straight out of the player? or do you need a special plug-in or this dock that you need in order to play those MKV files?

5. regarding the apps can you download and upload them via wi-fi onto your Archos5 or do you still need to use a 1st-party or 3rd-party software in order to do that?

6. with GPS will it work anywhere in the world even without w-fi signal or what not?

7. is there a custom EQ/equaliser feature?

8. as regards the FM radio does it have an auto scan and auto save function?

9. can you stream music via bluetooth on a bluetooth-enabled headphone or speaker?

10. would one still need a TV snap-on in order to watch digital TV in the UK/Europe?

11. any UK release date and price please...???

thank you....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
1. without wi-fi around i heard you can "tether" it with a 3G mobile phone using bluetooth. is that correct? would that in essence mean using the mobile phone's 3G signal to surf the net via the Archos5 whenever possible?
Yes. Admiting you phone is compatible, you provider allows it, and so on

Quote:
2. i heard we can use 3-party softwares in order to upload music or photos or videos to the Archos5?
I tihnk it's ums.

Quote:
4. i read the video playback supports MKV. is this straight out of the player? or do you need a special plug-in or this dock that you need in order to play those MKV files?
I think you might need a plugin

Quote:
10. would one still need a TV snap-on in order to watch digital TV in the UK/Europe?
Yes. (Not sure the existing one is compatible)

Quote:
11. any UK release date and price please...???
Archos website don't sell internationaly ?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 AM

and to answer my other questions please if somebody can help me on those ones....

3. is there a Playlist list among the Music menu? can you add and delete songs on-the-fly on a playlist?

5. regarding the apps can you download and upload them via wi-fi onto your Archos5 or do you still need to use a 1st-party or 3rd-party software in order to do that?

6. with GPS will it work anywhere in the world even without w-fi signal or what not?

7. is there a custom EQ/equaliser feature?

8. as regards the FM radio does it have an auto scan and auto save function?

9. can you stream music via bluetooth on a bluetooth-enabled headphone or speaker?

Last edited by gino_76ph; 09-24-2009 at 02:36 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Anyone know a place that has them in stock to sell?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

B&H Photo has the Archos 5 for $269.95 ATM. I'm wondering if I should get it for video watching? Seems like a fantastic idea.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The one you linked to isn't the one with andoid, Darkside. Newegg has a good price too. So does Buy.com and I think most places that carry them are trying to clear their inventory of the old version.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
B&H Photo has the Archos 5 for $269.95 ATM. I'm wondering if I should get it for video watching? Seems like a fantastic idea.
At 250GB, thats like $1 a GB!!

But, it would give you a lot of video!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Location: Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Planet Phi-Epsilon Nudist Colony For Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
For that price, it might be worth the possible headaches. I like mine for the most part (typing this reply on it, lol). It is so nice to just be able to throw most videos on this thing, instead of having to transcode them for my Zunes.

Did you sell your Zune 120? I see that you have a Cowon S9 now.
Microsoft Zune 30GB (black)
SanDisk Sansa e260v2 4GB (w/2GB card)

Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shado1 View Post
For that price, it might be worth the possible headaches. I like mine for the most part (typing this reply on it, lol). It is so nice to just be able to throw most videos on this thing, instead of having to transcode them for my Zunes.

Did you sell your Zune 120? I see that you have a Cowon S9 now.
Yeah, I sold it about a week or so ago. I've had the S9 for some time now. I bought a Cowon O2 from EnzoTen in the classifieds (great for video on the go for my little 1 and me), happy w/my decision.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 09-25-2009 at 09:26 PM.