android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 09-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Default YAPL - a Fuze (in MSC) playlist creator and media file tag editor v0.4

Hi all - my first post, so go easy on me if I screw up...

I'd like to announce v0.4 of YAPL, a playlist creator for the Sansa Fuze running under Windows. It works in MSC mode (no MTP at present), and allows you to create playlists easily on your Fuze.

You can get it here:

http://paul.dunn.googlepages.com/YAPL0.4.zip

The playlists can reference either the internal drive or the uSD slot card, which overcomes the main limitation of .m3u playlists.

Although the main aim of YAPL was to simply create playlists, it has been expanded to include media tag editing - it can now edit mp3/wma/ogg+flac tags, and can extract tag information from filenames. An ability to add/remove album art is in the works for v0.5

YAPL will automatically detect your Fuze, and will gather a list of media present. It will remember that list of media, and only needs to do it once. It will update the list when you make changes to your files.

Here's a couple of screenshots of YAPL:

And of the tag editor:

Any feedback would be most welcome - it's still in Beta at the moment, and I'm actively fixing bugs and adding features as people request them.

Thanks,

D.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-25-2009, 03:53 AM

Looks good, I'll give this a go and hopefully post you some feedback.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:44 PM

I'll definitely check this out.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 AM

It's looks nice, but I can't work with it - it loading all the files from the fuze and stuck the computer..
If you can do it with drag & drop or with "browse" buttons to add folders or files it would be better..

Old 09-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itay View Post
It's looks nice, but I can't work with it - it loading all the files from the fuze and stuck the computer..
If you can do it with drag & drop or with "browse" buttons to add folders or files it would be better..
Interesting - it runs fine here. I'm not sure what you mean about drag and drop or adding folders though. It's supposed to get all media on your device, and isn't designed to work with arbitrary locations.

I suspect that it may be getting stuck on a particular file, but I have no idea which. What does the progress window say when it gets stuck?

D.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Great Program

Hi
Thanks so much.
This is exactly what I have been looking for for ages!
It works great.
Just a bit of feedback, in case anyone else gets the same thing. If you don't have your Fuze connected (doh!) then I got a Windows Exception error when I did plug it in. All sorted when I just exited and started again. I also had to manually setup drives by clicking on the imaginatively titled button before it actually saved the playlist on my Fuze.

Great job!
Thanks
Val

Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValCodes View Post
Hi
Just a bit of feedback, in case anyone else gets the same thing. If you don't have your Fuze connected (doh!) then I got a Windows Exception error when I did plug it in. All sorted when I just exited and started again. I also had to manually setup drives by clicking on the imaginatively titled button before it actually saved the playlist on my Fuze.
Which version of Windows are you running? And can you get a screenshot of how the app looks when you've got the Fuze plugged in? A list of the numbers in the Windows Exception box would be nice too - I may be able to trace it to a bug.

I've tested on a variety of machines - but obviously yours is a tad different to any of mine...

Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM

you can tell it to put a certain playlist on the SD card right? I hope so.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
you can tell it to put a certain playlist on the SD card right? I hope so.
You can put them anywhere - that's what the Save Dialog is for.

Whether or not the fuze subsequently deletes them is another matter - I've only ever managed to make playlists "stick" on the internal memory, and have seen playlists vanish during database updates on the uSD card.

That said, putting the playlist on the SD card is only useful if you use multiple SD cards. Otherwise it makes no difference whatsoever where you put them.

D.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Well I was going to have each card be one genre of music. Or if the genre spans multiple sd cards it would be broken down to sub-genre. Like Trance (witch I have mostly) would be broken down to epic trance, tech-trance, and euro trance. and each would have its respective playlist(s) for moods on that. I want it to ONLY be on the SD card and none of it on the fuze itself. That is what I am asking.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
Well I was going to have each card be one genre of music. Or if the genre spans multiple sd cards it would be broken down to sub-genre. Like Trance (witch I have mostly) would be broken down to epic trance, tech-trance, and euro trance. and each would have its respective playlist(s) for moods on that. I want it to ONLY be on the SD card and none of it on the fuze itself. That is what I am asking.
Yes, you can do that. I've heard reports that the Fuze itself may well remove any playlist that it finds during the database update if it happens to be on the uSD Card though. YMMV, so give it a try.

D.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Hey Dunny,

I've been unable to get any program to make a playlist with music that is already on my Fuze so I gave your program a shot. However, when I plug it in it is showing nothing on my device. Is this because I was using MTP mode before and I will have to format it to get your program to work?

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typpeo View Post
Hey Dunny,

I've been unable to get any program to make a playlist with music that is already on my Fuze so I gave your program a shot. However, when I plug it in it is showing nothing on my device. Is this because I was using MTP mode before and I will have to format it to get your program to work?
It's almost certainly the reason, yes. Windows treats MSC and MTP modes as completely different devices.

D.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
It's almost certainly the reason, yes. Windows treats MSC and MTP modes as completely different devices.

D.

Ok, I will try and format it using MSC mode and try and copy stuff over. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Sansa E280 v2 ?

Hi, I am hoping your great program will also work with a Sansa e280 v2. I have been looking for a playlist creator (Msc) for ages with no success. Do you know if it works with the e280 v2?

Thanks
Joe

Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeocarroll View Post
Hi, I am hoping your great program will also work with a Sansa e280 v2. I have been looking for a playlist creator (Msc) for ages with no success. Do you know if it works with the e280 v2?

Thanks
Joe
When the program complains that it cannot find your Fuze, you might get away with using the "Setup Drives..." button. The app is set up to specifically look for the Fuze. However, if you can supply me with a good quality PNG (with alpha channel) of your e280 and could run a small program for me to determine which strings it uses, I might be able to add functionality to detect your e280.

D.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 PM

Dunny,

I would also like to know if you could add support for the Clip+ (now that it has removable storage, m3u playlists are no-longer capable of accessing the whole library, so I need an app like yours).

I tried running your app, and even tried selecting the drives manually, but it still would not detect the Clip+.

I would be willing to give you pictures and run a test program to give you ID information. I would also be willing to help you beta-test any new features you wish to add (I used to write the sort of app you are making, back when I had spare time, know all the pains of IDing USB devices).

Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultluser View Post
Dunny,

I would also like to know if you could add support for the Clip+ (now that it has removable storage, m3u playlists are no-longer capable of accessing the whole library, so I need an app like yours).

I tried running your app, and even tried selecting the drives manually, but it still would not detect the Clip+.
Excellent. I'm currently heavily into developing an emulator, and when I'm done later this week I'll get onto it. If you don't mind, I'll PM you when I'm ready.

D.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Excellent. I'm currently heavily into developing an emulator, and when I'm done later this week I'll get onto it. If you don't mind, I'll PM you when I'm ready.

D.
Sounds great. I've given up hacking paths to find the true mount point for the SD card while the player is accessing it for playback. I'd rather just use your solution.

It's better than switching to MTP mode (blah).

Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Sansa E280

Hi and thanks for your quick reply. I am happy to run your small program on my e280. I found the attached web images of a e2xx - is the quality sufficient?

Thanks
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sansa E200.jpg (18.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sansa-e200_straight.jpg (68.3 KB, 6 views)