android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon O2

Old 10-31-2009, 06:33 PM

Default Get red "X" error when I turn on the 02 / won't initialize

Just received my Cowon 02 form Amazon yesterday. I gave it a full charge before turning it on for the first time. I downloaded the 1.35 firmware update and installed it as instructed. I loaded some videos on it. About a half an hour later, I had an .avi file on pause, and the unit shut off due to non-use. Since then, about a little more than half the time, when I turn on the Cowon 02, I see the Cowon intro screen, then it shows an error symbol with a small picture of the white Cowon 02 with a red "X" through it. After that it shuts off. If I turn it back on, sometimes, it initializes correctly. Other times, I get the red "X" error. When it does end up turning on correctly, I see the "initializing" messages near the bottom of the screen. When it doesn't turn on correctly, I don't see the "initializing" messages. Very frustrating, since I just dropped around $250 for this thing and it malfunctioned within the first hour of me using it.

I did some google searches, and it seems like the only suggestion that I could find for this error symbol on other Cowon models was re-installing the latest firmware. I did that, and I'm still getting error messages about half of the times that I turn it on.

By searching around the internet, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of people experiencing this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on and what I can do to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm getting nervous and am thinking about returning it to Amazon and getting a totally different player.

Also, like other people have reported here, I am getting playback problems where the video and audio is so out of sync for .mp4 and .mkv files that they're unwatchable. Since the 02 has been out for such a long time, I would have thought this would have been resolved with all of the firmware updates. It seems like the file conversion software that came with the 02 can get most of the .mkv sourced videos to play once they are converted to .avi, but it's very annoying that you can't just play the files in their original format, as that is what the 02 is advertised to do.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for anyone who can help me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I don't have one of these, but, unless if someone else recommends differently, I suggest to send it back. Was it working properly before you upgraded the firmware? If it was, maybe you are upgrading it incorrectly?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 PM

I'm not sure if it did work properly prior to the firmware upgrade. I upgraded the firmware immediately after turning it on for the first time. Thank you though for the quick reply though...

Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Test an other firmware or send it at amazon-seller for return on warranty. 6 month ago, i have same effect but all time. i send my pmp at my seller to fix-it with Cowon SAV.

Tags
cowon 02, error, red, won't initialize, won't turn on