android
Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 PM

Help Audiobooks and the P3

Hi all. I read tons of audiobooks in mp3 format. After doing some research, it appears that the P3 doesn't have bookmarking for music, so that I could pause in the middle of a book file, go and listen to some music, and then pick back up where I left off in the book a while later. I just ordered my P3 from Best Buy, and have to wait for it to arrive, but I may still return it, depending on a few things. Before it arrived though, I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of a widget that might give me the ability to not just resume playback, but to bookmark my position in an mp3 file and then return to that same spot after listening to other audio?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Banned

No. Sadly that's something it doesn't do.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM

The P3 does not do this from what I can tell. However, I have used my Sansa clip for that and what is nice it will resume playing when I go listen to something else and then come back to the book. I doubt this is the answer you are looking for. One thing I have done w/audio books on the P3 is to put them on a playlist so I can listen to them from start to finish and not worrying about going to the next CD.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 AM

I think I've just gotten spoiled by my Cowon iAudio 7. I can place a bookmark in the middle of an audiobook CD, go listen to some music while I work out, watch a video or TV show, (although that's a bit questionable since it's only got a 1.8" display *GRIN*) and then go to the Bookmarks menu and pick right back up where I left off in my book. I'm visually impaired, and it uses the color scheme I need. The only thing it won't do is let me use bluetooth headphones on the bus. So, I bought the P3.

I considered the Cowon S9, which does offer bookmarking, but the P3 looked less complicated. I don't know though; I'm considering returning my P3. I just really don't want to have to go back to breaking up my audiobooks into bite-sized pieces so that I can more easily pick up where I left off. Grrr. Tough decision.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 AM

If your in MSC mode, the P3 will allow you to pause and pick up where you left off for 1 mp3 per folder. This is the behaviour in 2.20 firmware that I can observe.

I use the P3 for audiobooks and it works like a charm, I don't even use the playlist functions for the audiobooks.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Hi trikon000,

You are right, you don't need a play list for audio books. I use it because when I drive (and I drive a lot) I like the play list for books so it plays all of the book w/out touching the P3. W/6 hours in a car I find it easier. Just a preference thing, that's all. However, I would really like the play list to hold more than 200 items. :-(

Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Could you explain further about the "1 mp3 per folder?" I'm not sure what that means. I just ordered the P3, and am looking forward to it. My problem is this- I download books from MediaFile, a service from my local library - that allows you to "check out" and download audiobooks. But they come across as one long file. Not a problem if you listen to it from start to end. But if I paused and listened to music with the P3, will it start me back from the beginning of the file, if it's in playlists?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM

It allows you to pick up where you left off when you last paused on a mp3, 1 mp3 per folder you got. You have to the "Music Browse" in the music section for this to work (also known as browse by folder), that means NO playlist. It is as plain english as you get, there is no further explaination for it. It doesn't help you if you don't remember what mp3 you paused on.

If it is DRM audiobooks, your on your own for that because it is 50/50 it works or doesn't work.

Last edited by trikon000; 11-08-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM

i made a folder named audiobooks and put a mp3 in their,i pause the book, then go to another song, then go back to the book and it just restarts it all over.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM

mine are all subfoldered in the music folder.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:42 PM

what do you mean, i have music folder then all my music by artist, including the audiobooks

so music/artist/album/.mp3

Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 AM

mine is like this:

music/random audiobook folder name/somechapter.mp3

The behavior also shows up in the videos, they should have put an option in settings for audio bookmarking in the form of on/off.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:42 PM

mines too, but with music folders also ???