android
Old 02-11-2008, 06:06 AM

thanks for your responses. Trouble is playdock is now discontinued and no dealers have one for me to try.

Hopefully someone on here will have experience with the Z500 (good or bad) and that will help me decide what to do.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2008, 09:16 PM

I think the Z500 is the same as the PlayDock Zen. If it is, I have not experienced the same problem, but I may not use mine as extensively as you do yours.

Try this: run the PlayDock on battery power. Maybe it's the AC adapter causing the odd behavior.

Or see if you can find a cheap Zen V and see if that is affected the same way.

That's all I can offer at this point.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Z500 Playdock Problems

Hey everyone,

I had a Zen Vision:M for about 18 months without any problems. Then last April, i bought a playdock for it, and it's caused nothing but problems.

It seemed to corrupt my player, and, doing a search on this site and a few others, I see its not a rare problem, most people blaming it on magnetic fields emitted from the dock.

Unfortunately, I went and bought a new Vision M before I realised it was the dock that was the problem, and it's gone the same way.

So, I was wondering, what should I do about the dock? Should I send it back? I have already contacted Creative, who assured me it was purely coincidence it happened to me twice in a row...

Also, I know how to recover my Vision:M's, i.e. Format and reload hardware, but will this be enough? If it has been corrupted by magnetic fields, will I need to send it back to Zen to get it fixed, or should a clean up fix it? I dont want a permanently corrupted disk.

Thanks very much for any help you can give folks, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The dock/speakers should be magnetically shielded as well as the hard drives being somewhat protected.... I would believe that the vibration of being in the dock would cause more of an issue than the magnetic field generated by the dock/speakers. If you have an old CRT monitor around, have you tried putting the dock close to the screen to see if there is any color changes or distortion? CRT are real sensitive to magnetic fields so it should be noticeable rather quickly if the dock/speakers are generating a magnetic field. Even if it is, I doubt it would be enough to cause any issue with a hard drive. The head positioning magnets in a hard drive are very precise and strong themselves and are used at a very close range, so it would take quit a bit to be able to interfere. Hard drives are more susceptible to a wave or pulsating magnetic field and not so much of a constant exposure to a field. At most, if any interference was present enough to cause an issue, it may be enough to cause partition/file system corruption or minor data lose, but not even close to enough pulsating magnetic field to cause permanent damage to the drive.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 PM

Default z500

hi there, I had exactly the same problem with the Z500. You can be assured that reformatting the hard drive and reloading all your media will bring your vision:m back to perfect condition, I know, as I did this several times until I realised the Z500 was the problem. In the end I got a refund on the Z500. That was several months ago and my zen has been working perfectly ever since.

Today I was looking on epizenter.net and apparently there is a recognised problem with some z500's, caused by an internal short. I would hope by now they have ironed out any production probs that might have caused this, so much so that I ordered another one today from the Creative UK website (I was amazed to see it still on sale , as I thought it had been discontinued), if this one causes a problem I will be returning it straight away. I will keep you informed.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, no matter the cause (defective part(s), design flaw, etc...), it shouldn't be doing that. Yes, let us know how it turns out.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Hi again,

Just to update you on what happened (albeit a few months later). I phoned Creative, and they said they would replace my Z500 playdock. About a month and a half later (DHL are horrific, they were going to the wrong house for about 3 weeks, then failed to turn up at all for another few), I got a new playdock.

It seemed to be working perfectly with my mp3 player until this week when it started getting really slow when selecting tracks to play or flicking through the menus, so I'm having to reformat again.

Doesn't seem to be as bad as last time though, I actually think it's maybe just happening because my mp3 player has been formatted so many times that the disk itself is corrupt. I'll see how this turns out anyway.

Thanks for your responses by the way!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Unless you are doing a full erase type of format (erasing each sector) and causing additional physical wear-and-tear, I really doubt formatting too many times will actually cause the drive to go bad. The problem causing the need to format so often or even the possibility that the drive is beginning to fail would be more concerning to me.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-18-2008, 12:20 PM

I have a PlayDock Zen and experience the exact problem. I've used two different Zen Vision:M's in the PlayDock and both resulted in corrupted files, sluggish menu's and clicking noises. Reformatting the ZVM and reloading music fixed them both.

I still use the PlayDock, but instead of docking the ZVM I connect it using the headphone jack to the line in. I lose the ability to use the remote, however the ZVM doesn't suffer the same fate.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Both Z500 threads merged.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM

I've had my Z500 for years, and it still functions like it was new. No problems, ever!

It's very loud for the size, good sound quality.

Too bad it's discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay every once in awhile.

If anyone has any other questions, reply to this or message me.

Last edited by maxblockm; 10-25-2011 at 04:33 PM.