android
Old 10-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Default Missing functions on the S545

Hey guys, I've been looking for a new mp3 player for about 2 months now as a replacement to my Creative Zen Vision (non W model). Because I dislike touch screen players so much, I have few options. The S545 has the most that I like to have in a player. But, there are some small things that it seems to be lacking that would seem to be no brainers to put on a player... one being an on player delete. You have to put dock the player to remove a song.

I was reading the Cnet review of this player and it was said that it lacks an on-the-go playlist function. Does this just mean that you cant create a playlist on the device or that you can't create a "now playing" playlist? Like if you had an album playing and you went back into your library to add more to your selected music?

Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 PM

As far as I know the answer is no to both. I know for a fact that the Sony player's don't have on the go playlist.

As for the second one...I believe any time you play a new song or album the 'Now Playing playlist' as you call just goes back to 1. So it essentially starts over whenever you select a new song. Or at least that how it works on the previous Sony players.

You should wait for someone with an S545 to confirm the 2nd one though since I only have an old S616 to go by .

Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintets_man View Post
As far as I know the answer is no to both. I know for a fact that the Sony player's don't have on the go playlist.

As for the second one...I believe any time you play a new song or album the 'Now Playing playlist' as you call just goes back to 1. So it essentially starts over whenever you select a new song. Or at least that how it works on the previous Sony players.

You should wait for someone with an S545 to confirm the 2nd one though since I only have an old S616 to go by .
I can't confirm it because I don't make playlists. I think you are probably right though.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, there's no deleting from the player, and no "on-the-go" playlists.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 PM

So definitely no "on-the-go" playlist, but unconfirmed about a "now playing" playlist.

I don't make saved playlists, but I like to be able to select individual songs and albums to put in the "now playing" list. Like if you select a song and say "add to selected" so that it would play after the song that is currently playing.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout628 View Post
So definitely no "on-the-go" playlist, but unconfirmed about a "now playing" playlist.

I don't make saved playlists, but I like to be able to select individual songs and albums to put in the "now playing" list. Like if you select a song and say "add to selected" so that it would play after the song that is currently playing.
Nope, it doesn't have an "add to now playing" or "add to selected" option either.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 PM

Wow... that's crap... its almost staggering what simple things Sony didn't put on this thing.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Wow... that's crap... its almost staggering what simple things Sony didn't put on this thing.
I don't miss them at all.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Is the player that good that you are able to let those things go or have you never had the need for those functions?

I've been without a digital music player for about 2 months and it starting to getting a little irritating... I used my Creative everyday and I'm really missing it.

The S545 is the only player that I have found that I half like because it has tactile controls and a decent amount of space. I'm actually thinking about just going on eBay and buying a Gen2 Dell DJ20 to replace my first one...

Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 PM

You know you could always get a Sansa Clip/Clip+ or Fuze if you want tactile controls. I think they have on the go playlists but I'm not so sure since I've never really had a need for them. Shuffle all is more then good enough for me.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Is the player that good that you are able to let those things go or have you never had the need for those functions?

I've been without a digital music player for about 2 months and it starting to getting a little irritating... I used my Creative everyday and I'm really missing it.

The S545 is the only player that I have found that I half like because it has tactile controls and a decent amount of space. I'm actually thinking about just going on eBay and buying a Gen2 Dell DJ20 to replace my first one...
I just don't have the need. I either shuffle all, shuffle artist, or listen to an album all the way through wit the S545, and my Q2 is for podcasts and 2.5GB of psytrance to keep me energized at work.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
You know you could always get a Sansa Clip/Clip+ or Fuze if you want tactile controls. I think they have on the go playlists but I'm not so sure since I've never really had a need for them. Shuffle all is more then good enough for me.
I'll probably start irritating people at this point because of how picky I can be. Personally, I think the Clip is too small in form factor for me. The Fuse is nice, but I don't really like that the most space you can get is 8GB. Yes, you have the microSD slot, but is that memory integrated into the memory that is on the player? Another thing I don't like about it is the touch pad that is irrily similar to the ipod click wheel.

I just like a larger form factor (like the DJ and Zen Vision). Unfortunately now, all the larger players are touch screen... which I despise...

Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I'll probably start irritating people at this point because of how picky I can be. Personally, I think the Clip is too small in form factor for me. The Fuse is nice, but I don't really like that the most space you can get is 8GB. Yes, you have the microSD slot, but is that memory integrated into the memory that is on the player? Another thing I don't like about it is the touch pad that is irrily similar to the ipod click wheel.

I just like a larger form factor (like the DJ and Zen Vision). Unfortunately now, all the larger players are touch screen... which I despise...
I know the Clip+ integrates the memory card with the internal memory but I'm not sure about the Fuze. And the reason the Fuze's controls remind of the iPod's click wheel is because it's a click wheel .

If you want larger form factor you could try the S9. I know it's a touchscreen but it does have all the tactile controls needed to be functional.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

The card on the Fuze does integrate, (unlike Creative Zen) and it's not a touch pad like an iPod clickwheel, it's a wheel that spins freely atop a 4-way D-pad, with another button in the center of the wheel.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Banned

Cowons have 1 on-the-go playlist, Sansas have 2 if you include rated tracks. Samsungs have 5 and Sonys have none.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
If you want larger form factor you could try the S9. I know it's a touchscreen but it does have all the tactile controls needed to be functional.
I've looked at the S9 once before because it was suggested. I was still turned off by the touch screen at the time, but I'll take another look at it. I was also thinking about the X1000 because it has the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The card on the Fuze does integrate, (unlike Creative Zen) and it's not a touch pad like an iPod clickwheel, it's a wheel that spins freely atop a 4-way D-pad, with another button in the center of the wheel.
Ok, the memory does integrate. Does that go for the Sansa View as well? I'm taking a better look at both the Fuze and the View. I kind of like the larger size of the View, the larger price sucks a little but, it also comes with more capacity. The lack of dedicated volume controls is a little crappy but I might have to start to overlook some of my wants since I'm having a tough time finding what I want.

You just saved me from dismissing the Sansa products... At least it only looks like the clickwheel and does not function like it.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ok, the memory does integrate. Does that go for the Sansa View as well? I'm taking a better look at both the Fuze and the View. I kind of like the larger size of the View, the larger price sucks a little but, it also comes with more capacity. The lack of dedicated volume controls is a little crappy but I might have to start to overlook some of my wants since I'm having a tough time finding what I want.

You just saved me from dismissing the Sansa products... At least it only looks like the clickwheel and does not function like it.
Everyone here, with one exception, will tell you not to get a View and that it sucks. SanDisk really should have added capacity to the Fuze by now, since the older, crappier View was available up to 32GB. The only advantages of the View over the Fuze are better video handling and higher internal memory. The Fuze has much better sound, and is still getting firmware updates.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

The View is shit, don't get one.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
The View is shit, don't get one.
Haha, dualy noted, thanks guys. Just after I last posted, I went over to the View forum and found a thread titled "Considering a View". One person said "stop considering it."

Yeah, they should have added more capacity to the Fuze by now, but with the microSD slot, you can at least get a 32GB microSD and add to the player.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree, the Sansa View is garbage.