android
Old 10-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Seeking Enjoyment

Is there anything actually exciting you can do with the P3 besides what you can do with ever MP3 player ever made under it's price? Has anyone hacked it with android yet or done ANYTHING remotely cool with it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM

I'm quite curious about these DAPs under it's price that can do everything the P3 can. Could you perhaps list a few that your talking about?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 PM

yeah I'd like in on that list myself...seriously I'd like to know if I was wasting my money and be able to warn others...especially since part of getting the P3 was because of it's great price

Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Things such as what Sansa makes and what iRiver makes. The sansa players, granted, are not touch screen but have all the same abilities. Same for iRiver

Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 PM

Sansa players have bluetooth ? And last I heard iRiver wasn't doing so well (Granted I know nothing about them).

Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider22 View Post
Is there anything actually exciting you can do with the P3 besides what you can do with ever MP3 player ever made under it's price? Has anyone hacked it with android yet or done ANYTHING remotely cool with it?
Quote:
Things such as what Sansa makes and what iRiver makes. The sansa players, granted, are not touch screen but have all the same abilities. Same for iRiver

Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
WoW... You put Sansa and iRiver into the same boat as the P3???

I'm amazed. As far as I know, none have bluetooth. Do either connect to your cell phone and let you make and receive calls through the PMP?

Do either play FLASH files?

Do the others have a 3 inch screen? Do they have touch screen?

Do they have the sound quality to compare with all the Samsung research into Audio enhancement?

Do they handle as many video types as the P3 (Most people say they haven't had very many videos the P3 wouldn't play)? Do they handle all the Audio formats as the P3 (Flac, AAC, WMA, Ogg, MP3)?

Just looked and none of the Sansas play AAC. The Fuze only handles MPEG4, no H.264, no WMV which both are supported by the P3. Also the Fuse only has a 1.9" screen, not 3 inch.

The closest I could find was the Sansa View. Handles all the video formats of the P3, and most of the Audio formats minus Flac. No flac support. Also, it's a 2.4" screen not 3. And no bluetooth or wireless features, and I doubt a touch screen.

And since iRiver is on the way out from what I hear, I'm not even going to bother with any of their aging players.

Yes the P3 is pretty plain and obsolete for the money.

Last edited by TomCat39; 10-21-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

iriver SPINN has bluetooth and a 3.3" OLED touchscreen. It also plays FLASH files. The only thing I don't like about it is it's UI.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
iriver SPINN has bluetooth and a 3.3" OLED touchscreen. It also plays FLASH files. The only thing I don't like about it is it's UI.
But the sound really isn't up to par. And yes, the UI is bad. I didn't care for it either.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Ahhh looks quite comparable. Bigger screen, handles all the audio except AAC but does support APE, doesn't have H.264 video support.

Not sure if it's bluetooth lets you connect and use your cell phone. I don't think it does by the looks.

Does have SRS WoW (Still think Samsung enhancement is better).

Pretty equivalent. Seems a touch higher in price. 200 for an 8gb. I got my 16 gig P3 for 229.

Also I thought iRiver was a dying breed?

So we have one player that is the equivalent. So it now depends on if you want to spend more for a bigger screen but lower quality audio player. And which features you want ie cell phone use through player, ape support. And your budget may also be a deciding factor. AMOLED screen seems to up the price a bit.

By the way, I stand corrected. Thank you.

Last edited by TomCat39; 10-22-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM

yeah so take it easy man I was just, as the title said, was seeking enjoyment. The P3 is pretty plain here in the US and without internet and power to play legitimate games I wanted to see if anyone had advancements with it

Old 10-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

It's an audio and video player. What do you want it to do?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Isn't the Cowon an audio and video player? The iPod touch? I'm sure one of these days someone will figure out how to put something like Android on the P3. Just stuff like that. Don't get me wrong I love the thing it's the best player I've ever had even in comparison to the touch I had.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM

I see, now that you have clarified what you were after, it all makes sense.

Your first post and the thread subject gave the impression that you felt the P3 was a sub standard player.

You are curious to know if there is any homebrew happening on the P3.... As far as I know, there isn't any homebrew. The closest thing is flash programming for it. Beyond that, it's still just what is offered by Samsung overall.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM

I came across wrong for sure, I see so much potential in the P3 I just feel it's completely under toned. Maybe one day a genius himself will come around and make this thing even better than it already is. I can only dream

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

Don't hold your breath. See the Samsung M1: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/2684...sung-m1-player

Old 10-22-2009, 07:13 PM

in a perfect world, the P3 would run this beautiful, fast version of google Android... sadly, this world is anything but perfect

Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM

My heart is crushed. I still can't believe they pulled an apple and came out with the M1 right after the P3, but this is worst because they'll probably just leave it behind

Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 PM

well, the reason they did that is not to copy apple. they did that because the P3 was/is basically a commercial failure...
they are only trying to keep themselves in the PMP market...
and although I would love to see a password option on my P3, if leaving the P3 behind keeps samsung PMPs alive, then I am all for it

Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
P3 was/is basically a commercial failure...
they are only trying to keep themselves in the PMP market...
A large part of this was a total lack of advertising for it or any of their players outside of Korea. And they wonder why they have no sales?

That's like oooold apple. Crappy marketing so MS took hold and dominated way back when.