android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Default Player stuck in "Rebuilding" at about 75%, player not recognised on computer,

and cleanup in recovery mode doesn't seem to get rid of whatever is sticking

Can't download the firmware as the player isn't recognised anymore

Issue started last week when the player suddenly stuck in the middle of a song, went dead and hasn't worked since

I had an issue last year but eventually got Creative to fix it under warranty - however I think the warranty only covers 90 days after repair so that's expired

Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 PM

It seems to be a bad hd. My first one did what you stated(but did not "go dead"). My second one totally discharged while connected to a car whos battery also totally discharged, now it works well but wont hold a charge when off(mine is 1yr 14days old, read: 14days out of warranty).

I'm planning to putting the entire player on ebay as parts. It has a brand new battery that works with the latest firmware and an unused screen protector. Cosmetically it is very near new condition. If you are inclined to purchase a hd, I guarantee that mine is working perfectly.

Make me a fair offer on the entire player

S

Old 11-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogotabandit2 View Post
and cleanup in recovery mode doesn't seem to get rid of whatever is sticking

Can't download the firmware as the player isn't recognised anymore

Issue started last week when the player suddenly stuck in the middle of a song, went dead and hasn't worked since

I had an issue last year but eventually got Creative to fix it under warranty - however I think the warranty only covers 90 days after repair so that's expired

Any ideas?
Will the battery charge?? If you can get the battery fully charged go into Recovery/Rescue mode. Do a format (This will ERASE all the files but may correct the problem if the drive is still good )Cleanup>Reboot.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Hi Bogatabandit,

sounds like 2 different issues.
first replace the drive with another similar drive. you can even upgrade with a larger capacity drive. If you are interested in doing that, you can find compatible drives listed on this site.
Once you have replaced the drive, you can work on the connectivity issue.
There is a program available here on this site that will help you get it working again.
It is called portable device info tool.
Let me know if you have any questions.
I do repairs for a fee but it is the purpose of this site to encourage you to do it yourself. All of the info that you need is right here.
Gordon

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Hi guys, I'm new to these forums, but was having problems with my vision m on friday.
Connected it to the pc to add more files, but was prompted to reboot the pc for some reason and forgot to disconnect the zen. When the pc rebooted and I went to zencast to add the files, I got a message to connect the player. Tried this a couple of times with no success, then looked at the zen, which had frozen on the zen vision m splash screen. I disconnected it, and tried a reset, the zen went through bootup and froze again at the same place. I checked on the net for any info on this problem and was directed to this site. Checking through the forums, for my problems, which were, the player frozen, not being able to turn it off, the no connection problem, and the hard drive making a ticking noise, the consensus of opinion seemed to be a hard drive problem.
I then tried the dis-assembly suggested, with no success, and eventually gave up after 3 hours.
Yesteday, as a last resort, after contemplating binning the zen, I went to the creative website and downloaded the mp3 recovery tool. Opened the application and downloaded the appropriate firmware, connected the zen to update the firmware and still got the "no player connected" message. I disconnected the zen, and put it into recovery mode, and proceeded to delete the firmware. I then reconnected the zen to the pc, and to my surprise, it was immediately recognised. It loaded the new firmware, and now works as it did before. My only conclusion was that the pc reboot had corrupted the firmware and that had caused all the problems.
This may not be the cause of a lot of the problems reported on here, but is certainly worth a try before resorting to dis-assembly or sending off for repair.
Sorry if this has alredy been suggested, as I have not had time to check alll the threads.

Cheers Kev.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM

I have done EXACTLY the same as you mate ^^. I used the recovery tool to reload the firmware after putting it into recovery mode but it still freezes 3/10 of the way through re-building. Anyone got any ideas? :/