android
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM

Default Creative XFI2 first impressions

I will come up with a complete review during the weekend, ATM here are my first impressions which I've seen some reviews have lacked:

First and foremost, the player itself, feels CHEAP as hell, I mean, i've owned generic mp3 players which had a better feel to it, creative shouldn't have cheaped out on build quality so much, there's no buts or ifs here.

1. From an almost audiophile point of view, the EP630s bass is over powering and muddy, mids seem clear and highs a bit blown out. Compared to Head Directs RE2s and ER6i, the EP630 just can't keep up.

2. The touchscreen IS responsive, it requieres pressure but barely any.

3. the GUI is nice, flows smoothly once the touchscreen responds, though there is plenty of room for improvement, though it's not something that will bring the players rating down. Overall, there is a slight learning curve if any.
4.Sound from the player is very good, from a quick 1h test with EP630s/RE2s/ER6i

Can't yet comment on XFI as I haven't had time to test it out and wouldn't know exactly to what percentage set it to, I guess that is something really subjective.

Things I will write about during the weekend:
1. Video drag/drop capabilities without conversion
2. mic quality
3. XFI
4. Syncing and creative software
5. More experiences with the touchscreen and GUI.

Last edited by Maudit; 10-27-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like the candor and realistic opinion, looking forward to the read and you need to include pictures. Although you need to drop the last line, "so take these first impressions...," or doesn’t your opinion have worth

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I like the candor and realistic opinion, looking forward to the read and you need to include pictures. Although you need to drop the last line, "so take these first impressions...," or doesn’t your opinion have worth
Removed

Yeah I will include pics and maybe a video of how fluid and responsive touchscreen/GUI are.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:23 AM

Hey bud,

Nice to hear you've already got one of these.

I have a couple off questions for you though...

1. Is there a physical charging port on the player? i.e can you charge it through an A/C adapter? or it can be charged only through the USB port?

2. Could you please check whether the TV Show rips you get on torrents. eg. Smallville(350MB version), Two & a Half Men(175 MB version) & WWE wrestling (from Xtremewrestlingtorrents.net) [typically 700-800MB in size] play on this player without conversion?
The resolution off Smallville & Two & a half men is mostly 624x356 & off WWE is 640 x368.
So I suppose this player could handle it. Would be great if you could confirm it!

3. I read another post off yours in the forums, Could you also confirm whether the nokia 5800's TV-Out cable works for this player as well?

Thanks tons for your help!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluedream View Post
Hey bud,

1. Is there a physical charging port on the player? i.e can you charge it through an A/C adapter? or it can be charged only through the USB port?

2. Could you please check whether the TV Show rips you get on torrents. eg. Smallville(350MB version), Two & a Half Men(175 MB version) & WWE wrestling (from Xtremewrestlingtorrents.net) [typically 700-800MB in size] play on this player without conversion?
The resolution off Smallville & Two & a half men is mostly 624x356 & off WWE is 640 x368.
So I suppose this player could handle it. Would be great if you could confirm it!

3. I read another post off yours in the forums, Could you also confirm whether the nokia 5800's TV-Out cable works for this player as well?

Thanks tons for your help!
1. Only through USB port, BUT, you can buy an ac adapter from creative or third party.
2. During teh weekend I will try, I've got some downloaded series at home, ATM on laptop with only music.
3. Also, till weekend, when I get home.
Sorry I just got the player today and didn't have time to check all that, but come saturday/sunday I will answer your questions thouroghly.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Doe it have MSC or is it MTP?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM

Ok great thanks for your help!

@eboyer93 - I'm not 100% sure but mostly I think this is a MTP device.

The SD card would show up as MSC though as in a removable drive I reckon.

Edit - Did some research I guess this is a MSC device

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowA...aspx?sid=78196

Hope this helps.

Last edited by skybluedream; 10-28-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM

Well thats cool.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:35 PM

I uploaded a video in 4 different formats -

http://rapidshare.com/files/30017407..._test.rar.html

It would solve all off my questions regarding the video capabilities of this device.

If you could test these out it would be great appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I uploaded a video in 4 different formats -

http://rapidshare.com/files/30017407..._test.rar.html

It would solve all off my questions regarding the video capabilities of this device.

If you could test these out it would be great appreciated.

Thanks.
Downloading, Although I just got home, i'll post my findings tomorrow

Quick note though, before I left home, I drag and dropped "the big bang theory hdtv lol.avi" and I got "unsopported format", just a quicks heads up anyway, we will say how it goes with your videos.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:16 AM

Ok great.

It's kind of surprising that the Big Bang theory video didn't work!

All scene rips are in Xvid so it shouldn't have any trouble playing it.
Maybe the file was just at a high bitrate or had issues or something.

I uploaded 1 more video for you. It's in Xvid. It plays perfectly in my Zen Vision M so I think it should play it X-Fi2 as well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30076465...ample.avi.html

One last thing, if you could download & check whether these 2 videos work as well it would be great appreciated.

1. http://www.mininova.org/tor/3102649

2. http://www.mininova.org/tor/3089242

The 2 above files also play perfectly in Zen Vision M.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Ok great.

It's kind of surprising that the Big Bang theory video didn't work!

All scene rips are in Xvid so it shouldn't have any trouble playing it.
Maybe the file was just at a high bitrate or had issues or something.

I uploaded 1 more video for you. It's in Xvid. It plays perfectly in my Zen Vision M so I think it should play it X-Fi2 as well.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30076465...ample.avi.html

One last thing, if you could download & check whether these 2 videos work as well it would be great appreciated.

1. http://www.mininova.org/tor/3102649

2. http://www.mininova.org/tor/3089242

The 2 above files also play perfectly in Zen Vision M.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Will do, sadly there's been a power outtage since yesterday, atm posting from a friends house. From the previous post
Video test:

Batistas judgement day 0:04 second: Format not supported
Batistas judgement day 0:08 plays alright But audio is not in sync
Batistas judgement day xvid 0:11 video format not supported

It appears it only plays wmv9 from your previous video test.

heck I even tried house.s06e02.real.hdtv.xvid-fqm which I already had in my computer and I get "video format not supported" and even I downloaded some of chris angels "magic" from youtube using vixy.net and still the same issue.

And with vmt-deepv-xvid-sample.avi no go either... "format not supported"

In the end it appears i'll have to convert any video If i want it played on the xfi2. So IMO if you want this player to replace your current ZVM for its codec capabilities, i'd say get a Samsung p3...

By when I get home later afternoon I can try with other videos, but I don't think it will be any more different then what i've found so far.

Oh and just for the record. ALL the videos I tried on the XFI2 played seemlessly on the CZVM
House, big bang theory, chris angel, etc...

Some details on the videos I tried out:

House xvid
frameh: 624
framew: 352
data rate: 944kbps
total bitrate 1,136kbps
FPS 23
bit rate 192kbps 48khz
file size 350mb

The big bang theory xvid

frameh: 624
framew: 352
data rate: 1052kbps
total bitrate 1,180kbps
FPS 23
bit rate 128kbps 48khz
file size 175mb

All within the creative specifications for xvid3.
Video Playback Formats: WMV9, MPEG4-SP3, DivX3 4/5 and XviD3
Up to 640 x 480 video size

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks a million for your valuable feedback.

I'm really surprised this thing doesn't play Xvid files!

Maybe Creative will solve it with a firmware update (seems unlikely coz Creative don't update their firmware that many times)

I guess this player is a no go for me then.

I'll lookout for the Samsung R1, P3, M1 & Cowon S9 or it's successor.

I'm soo disappointed the XFi2 can't play Xvid files, maybe I'll give Creative support a yell asking them what's the fuss in it not supporting these files & do we get a firmware update fixing it or not.

Once again thanks tons for your valuable feedback. Greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks a million for your valuable feedback.

I'm really surprised this thing doesn't play Xvid files!

Maybe Creative will solve it with a firmware update (seems unlikely coz Creative don't update their firmware that many times)

I guess this player is a no go for me then.

I'll lookout for the Samsung R1, P3, M1 & Cowon S9 or it's successor.

I'm soo disappointed the XFi2 can't play Xvid files, maybe I'll give Creative support a yell asking them what's the fuss in it not supporting these files & do we get a firmware update fixing it or not.

Once again thanks tons for your valuable feedback. Greatly appreciate it.
Well let's be honest, creative isn't known for bringing out new firmware every other day like others. We can keep hope up though, but unlikely. Personally I think that either creative polishes the zii for Q1 2010 for one last final breath, else they will go downhill, because so many other good players in the game that weren't aroung when the ZVM was king of all.

No prob, any other question just shoot, be glad to answer.

Hopefully i'll have the whole review up before monday ends...

Old 11-01-2009, 11:23 PM

I just thought off this...

Have you upgraded the Firmware of your XFi2?

Creative rolled out a new firmware around 2 odd weeks back

http://support.creative.com/Products...CategoryID:213

If my memory serves me correctly....on another site when the XFi2 launched it said it supported videos @ res of 320x240.

Creative's site now says 640x480 since I checked it around last week.

I find it hard to believe Creative would post such misleading information regarding their product.

I've trusted them for the best part of 20 years now! (I know there's been much fiasco regarding their sound card drivers but I've always been a budget guy so I've never had such issues with them)

If you've updated your Firmware & it still doesn't play the files...well then Creative just lost all my respect.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I just thought off this...

Have you upgraded the Firmware of your XFi2?

Creative rolled out a new firmware around 2 odd weeks back

http://support.creative.com/Products...CategoryID:213

If my memory serves me correctly....on another site when the XFi2 launched it said it supported videos @ res of 320x240.

Creative's site now says 640x480 since I checked it around last week.

I find it hard to believe Creative would post such misleading information regarding their product.

I've trusted them for the best part of 20 years now! (I know there's been much fiasco regarding their sound card drivers but I've always been a budget guy so I've never had such issues with them)

If you've updated your Firmware & it still doesn't play the files...well then Creative just lost all my respect.
hmmm Might be worth a try. According to my xfi2 version, my firmware is 1.00.10, and the current on is Creative ZEN X-Fi2 Firmware 1.01.01.
So i'll give this a go and post back and tell you if anything improved regarding video playback, Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:18 AM

Well the new firmware did it!
I can now play xvid files!

From your previous test files

Batista 0:4 second: format unsopported
batista 0:08 Second: plays but audio not in sync
Batista xvid: plays flawlessly
WWE file xvid plays flawlessly as well.
It appears the other file isn't even recognized by the player ( with old and new FW).

vmt-deepv-xvid-sample plays flawlessly!

I just tried a couple of the.big.bang.theory.s03e04.hdtv.xvid-2hd_S and house.0605.hdtv.xvid-notv they playback with no problem.
it seems xvid is the way to go.

After this firmware update i can say the xfi2 does have drag and drop video playback capabilities I had almost given up hope, so much that I didn't even bother testing the 5800 cable, but now I will do so tomorrow.

Also upgrading was easy as pie! Downloaded in around 1 minute, installed in the player via the autoupdate software in about 3 minutes. I though I was going to lose all my music on the player after the update, but alas, it was still there after the update.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be playing around with the formats as well and post my findings with my review ( If I ever finish it).

Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 PM

Awesome!!! Just plain flat-out Awesome!!!

I knew Creative wouldn't let me down or post such misleading information on their site!!!

I should've told you though that updating firmware would be as easy as pie & you won't loose anything...it would just re-build the player files after the firmware is complete.

Yup so looks like Xvid is the way to go. I sent you 4 files off before...3 play...1 doesn't.

The 1 which doesn't is a WMV9 @ 640x480 resolution.

The one more which plays flawlessly is a MPG1 file! So MPG1 & MPG2 support is there as well like ZVM.

Regardless Xvid is what the stuff is mostly encoded on at & it plays perfectly so This seems the perfect successor to the ZVM!

Do please let me know about the TV-Out cable of the 5800 working or not.

The USB charger is a done deal with me...I have a Motorola V3i charger lying around...and that's a USB one.

That's that out I go today on the lookout for the XFi2! I'll buy it most probably within 2 weeks.

Thanks a million for your help! Greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 AM

Did you test FLAC playback?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:52 AM

a new firmware has been released(Creative ZEN X-Fi2 Firmware 1.02.03 ),Good news, here is the detail of this firmware
Quote:
This download contains an improved version of the firmware found on your Creative ZEN® X-Fi2 player. It enhances the touch screen's responsiveness. For more details, read the rest of this Web release note.

Enhancements:
  • Enhances the touch screen's responsiveness.
  • Improves the stability when you use a memory card.
  • Improves overall support for media playback.
I read many reviews said that the X-fi touch screen is laggy, i also watched the review video (i'm kind of disappointed about X-fi 2), i think it's the critical flaw that everyone don't wanna go for X-fi 2.
But if this firmware does the trick, i think X-fi 2 is better than ZuneHD on the price/performance.
Can you update your X-fi 2 firmware and confirm this to us?