android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman A Series

Old 10-31-2009, 11:57 PM

Default A846 - no playlists! help a brother out here!

so as i`m in Japan right now, i wanted to pick up the new A846 - got it yest. and, well, i made certain `assumptions`which... anyway, here`s the sorry saga i hope someone can help me out with...

i use MediaMonkey to sync. playlists - works perfectly with my other Walkmans so `assumed` likewise for this 846.

whilst all music\cover art etc. is transfered just fine, playlists appear as files, as opposed to functioning playlists 846 recognises. it won`t sync. playlists with WMP either. Seems it will work with SonicS. but to use that again - not to mention having to set up all my playlists again - would be like pulling teeth!

so can anyone help me out here... i even tried copying the playlist files from my X Ser. but still no dice!

any suggests would be v.much appreciated, thanks in advance...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2009, 12:15 AM

You could try making a playlist in Windows Explorer and then just drag 'n' drop it over to your Walkman to see if it works.

off-topic: How's the A846?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 AM

One thing you could try is creating the playlist on the player itself via Windows Explorer. After connecting your player to your computer and going to the MUSIC folder via Windows Explorer, do the following:

- Right click on a music file and select "Create Playlist" from the menu. It will create a playlist named "New Playlist.pla" which will contain the music file you selected. You can rename the playlist, just leave the ".pla" extension unchanged. You can also move the playlist to a different location on the player if you want.

- Right click on the playlist and select "Open." A playlist properties window will open.

From here, you can add files to the playlist (by dragging and dropping them into the window), delete files, and re-order the playlist. Additional Information: To add files to the playlist, you must drag-and-drop them from the files on your player, not on your computer.
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 11-01-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: To clarify part of the post.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:55 AM

well that sounds interesting and worth a try... i'll give it a shot and report back (Med.Monk. may well make it directly compatible sometime soon, provided it does get released outside Japan -- why Sony persists in making `significantly` country specific versions is beyond me - but then seems the only way Sony can learn lessons is to stab themselves in the eye a few times first!)...

quintets_man -- i`m too frustrated at the moment to give you a meaningful reply... i mean it's got Sony's usual build quality, is really amazingly thin for 32gbs. believe it or not, i've not yet played a full track, but the small taste i took of a track did sound v.good - i thought better than the same track on my X (same setting\earphones etc.)... i'm excited at the prospect of what i think are settings to merge tracks on playback (long, long overdue) (or spec. time values from 0.5secs. - don't see gapless per se, but maybe) - if it's poss. to asign individual settings for each track, that will be even better... i find the touch screen with button options too on the X handy, but touch won't be missed... if i've understood the Japanese manual correctly, 'IF' i struggle with SonicS. V - which is exclusively in Japanese (Sony stabbing away again) - then it's poss. to transfer files as 'ATRAC Advanced Lossless' to the player - 'that', 'MIGHT' prove worth the effort - why Sony can't offer WMA Ll or even FLAC? same reason Apple was able to come from nowhere to eat their lunch - they just ain't that bright

really appreciate the feedback guys...

EDIT: CDMP3PlayerFan - i've not specifically tried your sugg., but the playlist files on the X are .pla and have an icon and can be opened. if i put them onto the 846, they loose their icon and now Windows says can't open them! ... but, i'll try what you sugg. anyway - and see...

EDIT: can't be done. on the X, if i Rclick on a music file i get option to 'create playlist'. on the 846 i just get usual file options...

i found a file common to both my 846 and X Ser. called 'capability 00'. In which the X Ser. says; <Storage type="MTP" max-full="100" /> . the 846 says; <Storage type="MSD" max-full="100" /> .

is this 'MTP vs. MSD' at the heart of my problems and if so, am i proper screwed?!? can i 'fix' this?!

Last edited by fugusushi; 11-01-2009 at 03:53 AM.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 AM

This is not really a suggestion but perhaps it's possible that playlists might only be able to be created when the player is in MTP mode??? If that were true you just have to figure out how to set it to MTP from MSD.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:58 PM

fugusushi wrote as part of a post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugusushi View Post
is this 'MTP vs. MSD' at the heart of my problems and if so, am i proper screwed?!? can i 'fix' this?!
It could be an MTP vs MSD issue. My player is in MTP mode (the default) and the playlist instructions I wrote work perfectly with my player. A quick way to check which type of player it is to connect and check the device in Windows Explorer. If it shows up as "Walkman" it is in MTP mode, but if it shows up as a drive it is in MSD mode.

I remember reading in these forums that it is possible to change the type of device that a Sony player is. If I remember correctly, it involves changing the type of device the player is. If you search the forums you should be able to find the instructions on how to do this.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Sony Ear Clips &
Sony MDR-ZX100 Heaphones

Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 PM

for sure i'ii search for that.

seems it is an MSD player and there don't appear to be any menu setting to change this -- i rem. previous Sony players could switch between the two...

i.ll search and see what i find -- thanks again guys...

oh BTW, i tried a test using Son.S.4.3 - i wanted to see what the playlist file looked like. it transfered the track fine and i got the playlist. but, when i check on the device hard drive, neither are anywhere to be found! they're there, track plays, but invisable on the hd i mean seriously, what are these guys smokin'!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:06 PM

hi ^^V
im new to forum... yoroshiku onegaisimasu minna san ^^

hmm.. im not as good to say but.. i think you can only make playlists in MTP mode too... i cant do in MSD or MSC... i use mediamonkey too... and even in MTP that...thing.. dont go..xD

i use you could do this ^^

[off topic]
and.. how is the player?? *-*
i want one... but i need to know if the sound is so good as i want, how is the noise cancelling, and if i it show lyrics that are on id3 tag..o.o.. i saw only .lrc.. but i dont know about embedded lyrics.. and no reviews of the player i found...

if you can say something about this amazing sony.. ill be so happy ^^
i think you will be the first to make a reviwe of the player..xD
(i cant speak japanese so i cant enter on japanese sites, so no reviews for me..xD)

Old 11-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Does the actual device support english menu?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 AM

tsuharesu - the sound seems v.good. but i use Shure SE530's so i don't use the Sony supplied earphones and i'm pretty certain the noise cancelling only works with them. i've currently transferd WMA files @320kbps - which is about as good as i can do short of WAV. But this Japanese model will work with SonicStage V (5) and seems it will accept ATRAC Advanced Lossless which as a lossless file 'should be' better sound quality... my other comments are above ^

groovypants - 'support'? there's no option to change menu lang. - but it would surely 'support' them if say there was firmware in Eng. ... (Edit: just found this; http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-Walkman-cle...031174003r7589 -- that 'is' the interface 'cept in Eng. which is the first such pic. i've seen!

reading about MTP on Wicki. this thing has me proper frustrated... it 'does' support playlists, but only 'seemingly' via. SonicS. But manual also says someth. about req. to have WMP installed and i was also prompted to 'auto-sync' when i connected it, all of which are only 'available' to devices running MS's MTP...

anyone who's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Last edited by fugusushi; 11-03-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugusushi View Post
...reading about MTP on Wicki. this thing has me proper frustrated... it 'does' support playlists, but only 'seemingly' via. SonicS. But manual also says someth. about req. to have WMP installed and i was also prompted to 'auto-sync' when i connected it, all of which are only 'available' to devices running MS's MTP...

anyone who's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol
Can I assume you haven't got those playlists working? You'll need MTP drivers or something to get to sync it in MTP mode. iirc those drivers come with WMP. And this may or may not have anything to do with this but what OS are you using?

Old 11-03-2009, 04:34 AM

fugusushi: ah.. thx ^^.. i dont have shure ><... but MAYBE one day i buy one xD
hmm... and the lyrics? anything about it? try putting one music with id3 lyric on it and see how it works pls ^^"...

you dont have windows media player? or MTP drivers? o.o
i didnt understand... i can put playlists... i didnt installed anything.o.o..

good man... theres a photo that it is in english, but nobody know how to put it in english xD

Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Hi,

and konnichiwa (looks like it belongs to this thread )!

I'm glad I've finally found an English-speaking A840 owner. One person from another forum did not respond to my PM, and communication via below-the-article comments with another guy is kinda inefficient. You get the idea.

First of all, before I bore you () with my story, here are some links you should visit:
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/t...02_325472.html
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/s...25_317563.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-revi...owViewpoints=1
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-revi...owViewpoints=1

Now, I haven't read them myself (too busy ), but they look promising. BTW, use Google translate if you don't speak Japanese or understand only a little (like I do).

Basically, I'm trying to decide between the A840 series and the iPod Touch (oh I hope this doesn't get censored... anything-but-ipod? ).
The A840 has a better screen, better SQ, better format support, tactile controls which can be used w/o looking at the player, and isn't made by Apple (yes I consider this a plus).
The iPod Touch is more fun, can be customized using apps, is more intuitive, has wi-fi connectivity and there are more accessories available for it. But then the only way to use it is by taking it out of your pocket and swiping fingers across the screen in a show-off manner

Also, even though I dislike both programs, I prefer iTunes to x-apli. And now there is the playlist problem... and I'm afraid there might be some more language/country/stupid restrictions -related problems. I hate Sony's attitude towards non-Japanese markets (they used to include English option in their Japanese cameras, now they don't, and the 'Overseas Model' cameras cost 25%+ more than Japanses models, and the basic formula for calculating a price of OM laptop is [JP price]+[75%*JP price]=[OM price]), but at the same time I hate the restrictions put by Apple and the company's 'we are always right' attitude.

Well... Back on topic:

How do you like noise cancelling? How about the supplied IEMs?
Can you compare the SQ to any other MP3 player? iPod touch 3g would be ideal, but anything will do.
Does drag and drop work? Is album artwork transferred? I suppose there is no need for installing programs if I were fine with d&d?
Videos, particularly with subtitles: are they easy to watch?

I would appreciate your input. Or any other A840 owner's.
Pleeeeease do have the honor of being the first English-speaker to actually write some detailed comments on A840...

Thanks. Arigatou.

Edit: by the way, that photo DOES NOT show English menu, just English Title and Artist etc.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM

OK, firstly some of these Q's i've already touched on^ ... can't comment on vid. - i'm only interested in music playback... sound qual. is first rate - a touch better than the X Ser. i think - and whilst iPods offer Apple Lossless playback, generally no one interested in sound quality is gonna take an iPod over a Walkman! - other things being equal... i've had recent gen. iPods and sound is significantly poorer than Walkmans - but can't comment directly 'bout Touch...

Also, don't like iTunes - check out MediaMonkey if you haven't already... playlist issue is a big one! i would not have bought this if i'd have known this in advance. However it occures to me that EU/US models may support playlists 'cause Sony don't support SonicS. outside of Japan, but with Sony, who the **** knows! (i'll check out those links - thanks)

d&d works, but... i want playlists, right... Med.Mon. will sync. fine - inc. artwork, just no pl's...

tsuharesu - lyrics? i'm gonna have to get back to you on that - i've no idea and don't have any lyrics tagged... and MTP requires both WMP (MTP codec) AND MTP code on the player! i'm not clear yet if it's there or not... gonna get one of my Japanese friends on the case next week...

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM

rad0909: yeah i go with fugusushi.. i use MediaMonkey and its the best program for me... playlist, tags, album.. and a looot of plugins on the forum... you can do everything with it xD.. i tried a lot of programs this early..only to see that MediaMonkey is the best for me xD

fugusushi: hmm ok guy ^^... you will have an oscar after your answers xD.. the first that can speak with us ocidentals about this player ^^V
hmm i dont know about MTP... i have MPlayer 12 even i dont use it (came with windows) so... sometimes the playlist dont go to the player... but then i try again and then there it is.. i dont know..
each player have it issues right? ^^V
gambatte, look for the lyrics when you have time guy... i just want to know about lyrics to buy this player... no other can see embedded lyrics but ipod.. and i dont want an ipod when i can have a Sounding player..u.u..

thx for all fugusushi ^^

Old 11-05-2009, 02:17 AM

tsuharesu - seems it is poss. to transfer lyrics and it also has a scrolling lyrics option while the track is playing - like karaoke. but the reviewers said it was not a very effective system prob. caused by copyright issues...

all-in-all i'd suggest waiting 'till an English based version is available and you can read more detailed spec. yourself -- right now you'd also have to use SonicS. V (Japanese) and seems neither of us wants to do that!!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

Try this:

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq...duct/nwz-x1060

or this:

http://www.sony-asia.com/support/faq/299029

Before you disappear into the blue-yonder, a few quick questions:

3) Is itpossible for tactile navigation? the controls look flush. And which do you personally prefer between navigation between a series and x?

2) Is the device as laggy as the x? The main thing holding me back from picking up a x series, as well as the slow syncing.

1) You mention that the sound is better then the X. Would you care to elaborate?

After all the praise heaped on the x on head-fi, my worry is, having decided on the a series, sods law being as it is, they'll change the sound signiature for the worst.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM

i'll check those links, thanks...

3) Is itpossible for tactile navigation? the controls look flush. And which do you personally prefer between navigation between a series and x?
controls are fine - whilst i like the touch screen o the X, it's almost always on hold with touch restricted. so touch is niether a deal maker or breaker as far as i'm concerned...

2) Is the device as laggy as the x? The main thing holding me back from picking up a x series, as well as the slow syncing.
for sure, the X takes an eternity to sync. this one didn't seem much quicker - but it is what it is - better would be if MediaMonkey got their sync. working properly...

1) You mention that the sound is better then the X. Would you care to elaborate?
can't elaborate much since i'm not using this thing 'till i get the playlist issue sorted. but here's my general take; i've had succesive series of Walkman and each time sound does genuinely seem to improve. I put across WMA 320 CBR from generally WMA LL or WAV source files. i use Shure SE530s and 'generally' listen to triphop - Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead - also SomaSonic, Nitin Sawney, Gabin, Soulstice, etc,etc... so well produced electronic with strings, horns and great vocals...
Settings on the X are: No EQ, No VPT, DSEE = on, Clear Stereo = on, Dynam.Normal. = on...
From the 2mins. or so of a track i tested on the 846 with same settings etc, sound 'was' better! but as far as i'm concerned right now, the thing's a piece o' trash! i'd have dumped Sony long ago if you didn't need voodoo to get playlists on to Cowans and if the ZuneHD worked with MediaMonkey - very much fancy a Tonium Pacemaker, but not clear on status re playlists... Sony are on borrowed time

Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM

can you please post some pics of the device ??

Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Hello, do you have any news about the playlist issue with MediaMonley; I'm in the exact situation: Sony NW-A846 MediaMonkey to manage my music library. And by the way, could someone translate all the menus in english (or french ;-) )? I will try to do an excell file to begin the translation . Thanks