android
Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 PM

Default Connecting a P3 to a Macintosh Computer?

I use the P3 with no problems connected to my Windows XP computer with file transfer protocol set to "MTP". I drag & drop any files between my hard drive and the P3 or vice versa.

My wife has a Macintosh computer. When the P3 is set to MTP the Mac does not "see" the P3. So I changed the PC setting protocol on the P3 to change from MTP to UMS, expecting that the P3 could be used as a drag & drop device. To my surprise, the P3 could not be "seen". Is there a setting on the Mac I need to change for the P3 to be seen as an external hard drive by the Mac?

Wife is anxious to use the P3. HELP!!!

Phil

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Samsung Moderator

Make sure the device is unplugged, then make sure that you change the setting, turn the device off (sleep) and then plug it into the computer. Report your results

sassafras

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM

make sure the P3 is in UMS mode. it may take up to a minute for the mac to "recognize" the P3, but I use my P3 on my mac with no problem

Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Default P3 Does Connect to Mac

Thanks you for the 2 replies and answers.

The problem was with the P3 UMS setting. "Some how", after I changed from MTP to UMS, when I was connected to the Mac the P3 setting had changed back to MTP. Following your instructions, I reset to UMS and then the Mac did see the P3 and the drag & drop worked perfectly. Wife is happy now, so I am happy. I do appreciate your feedback!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:30 PM

no problem! if you want, in the firmware section of this forum, there are instructions on how to change your region to Korean. the advantage of doing this is that the P3 is ALWAYS in UMS mode... that is what I did, and you might want to look into that

Old 11-05-2009, 12:59 AM

@ electron

a while back in a different mac p3 thread you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
I don't know about snow leopard, but I use Leopard, and I eventually got the "no space for DB" error message on my P3. when that happens, plug your P3 into your XP partition, go into the P3 drive, and enable the "show hidden files" folder. after that, use "search" and type in "._" and DELETE all the files that show up. (you may not have that problem, but I did....)
and i asked if the ghost files were the main cause of the "no space for DB"
and you never answered. I ask this because I found out about a program called BlueHarvest which
Quote:
Originally Posted by the website i posted
automatically removes DS_Store files, resource forks ("._") and hidden folders such as .Trashes from your USB keys, SD cards, file serves, etc. BlueHarvest removes these items as they're created so you'll always be "dust" free.
( http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/ )and wondered if this would alleviate that ghost file problem and therefore the "no space for DB"

I don't have a P3, I'm waiting for the M1 to come to the states, but assume the same problem would occur.

any feedback if this would work for future reference? I don't feel like buying vmware fusion and/or a copy of windows, since I'm deciding to go cheaper in every aspect of my life. lol

Old 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM

I got my p3 a few days ago and use a mac. The p3 connected fine and i transferred music to it. on the second day i wanted to move more files which i did succesfully but when i disconnected the p3 and turned it on i got the "no space for DB remove at least 60 mb" error message. tried removing files but no luck. reinstalled the firmware but also no change. finally i plugged the p3 into a pc running win xp and formatted to FAT32 and then reinstalled the firmware and the p3 booted up again normally.

So yea, not sure what caused this but glad I've found the above thread. Would be very interested in your findings as well if the resource forks and ds store actually cause this in the p3. if it happens again i'll try out removing the files with blueharvest and will post results.

thanks for bringing this up nuwbuddy

*edit* alternatively to purchasing blueharvest i've found this method:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21118060850652

Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1lo View Post

*edit* alternatively to purchasing blueharvest i've found this method:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21118060850652
hmm, I haven't tried that way, so i won't recomend it.(sorry for not responding, I don't remember anyone asking... )

my guide for solving this issue is found here , here , or here

Last edited by electron; 11-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 PM

so the ghost files are the only cause for the 'no space for db'?

edit: sorry if i seem like a broken record, i just want to be clear on the situation.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM

from what I have found, yes. when using my method, you have to enable "show hidden files" anyway, so if you want to delete the Spotlight and .Trashes folders, you can do that too, but OSX is recreate those next time you plug your P3 in.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM

sweet thanks for the info. now if only i can find out the equivalent to a chkdsk. lol

Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 AM

chkdsk on a mac? hmm, the closest thing that I can think of is the "verify disk permissions" and "verify disk" options in Disk Utility.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 AM

great! thanks electron for the post

Old 11-07-2009, 11:44 AM

no problem
again, if for some reason that does not work, just back up all of everything you have on your P3, and then reformat it :P