android
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Default Rockbox on Fuze V2

Just a quick question will Rockbox work on a Fuze V2?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie1970 View Post
Just a quick question will Rockbox work on a Fuze V2?
Nope. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

2010 and still nothing? I hope something comes up soon.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
2010 and still nothing? I hope something comes up soon.
I'd love to see Rockbox on the v2 as much as anyone, but when it comes to reverse-engineering, breakthroughs are hard to predict.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Have you guys even looked at the svn for the project? Most of it hasn't been touched in a year or two. I'd say it will probably never come to v2.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverlessTech View Post
Have you guys even looked at the svn for the project? Most of it hasn't been touched in a year or two. I'd say it will probably never come to v2.
Never say never, we heard some interesting news in irc today and I'd wouldn't be surprised to see it in the near future

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Rockbox Developer

Reverse engineering is a lot harder that you can probably imagine. I'm somewhat working on it, and sent a spare fuzev2 to funman but we of course cannot promise any progress.

Rockbox SVN has code for the fuzev2 which enables custom code to be run (in the rockbox bootloader), but as lcd and buttons do not work it's pretty poor at the moment.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Well, it's good to know someone is at least working on it. Thanks for your ongoing effort, it's very much appreciated. Any idea approximately how far off the project is from a usable beta? I mean, are we talking years, months, or weeks?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
... Any idea approximately how far off the project is from a usable beta? I mean, are we talking years, months, or weeks?
These guys volunteer their hard work & time and we are all very thankful of what we get and when we get it. There are no time frames or estimates on any project completions, if you follow along in rockbox you can get a better understanding …

Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM

It'll happen when it happens. But I don't find the standard UI that annoying. I just want the 32gb MicroSDHC cards to be released in Canada so I can get a 36GB player

Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
These guys volunteer their hard work & time and we are all very thankful of what we get and when we get it. There are no time frames or estimates on any project completions, if you follow along in rockbox you can get a better understanding …
Oh, absolutely, which is why I started off my post by thanking them for their hard work. I'm very grateful. I'm also very up on the Rockbox project, and I do read the Rockbox forum, but there's very little info there on the Fuze V2 progress. Since one of the developers spoke up about it in this thread, all I was asking was whether he had an idea as to a very rough beta estimate, as in "years" vs. "weeks". Not trying to pressure anyone or be rude at all.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
{cranky old fart climbs up onto two-sided soapbox}

Okeydoke, I now issue a bifurcated happyrant

To the folks in the peanut gallery -- KEEP reminding yourself that Rockbox is NOT a commercial product -- the developers are NOT employees, and are ONLY doing their (very difficult) work -- for free -- for the enjoyment it returns. And, NAGGING them only serves to REDUCE the enjoyment factor! They are altruistic, giving you FOR FREE a package that I doubt any of us could afford if we were to commission a for-pay dev team to create from scratch. In short, be patient, and be grateful!

To the Rockbox developers -- I know these guys seem like "hungry baby birds in the nest" (heads aimed UP, beaks wide open, voices SCREAMING "feed ME! feed ME! Feed me NOW!") -- but, try to keep in mind that in reality, it's LOVE for the amazing code you create, and I suspect there are VERY few who don't have a LOT of gratitude for the work you freely share with them.

{tired old fart climbs down from the two-sided soapbox and quickly gets lost in the crowd}

Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 AM

On ^^ that note, I would like to remind everyone that you can help out by donating money to help keep them going ...
Quote:
We spend money from the donated funds on Rockbox-related activities, and in the past they have been:
  • buying broken hardware or hardware debugging tools for analysis/research
  • buying functional players for volunteering hackers (to get Rockbox ports going or expanding the developer base)
  • buying food and drinks during Rockbox events
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/DonatedMoney

Old 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Rockbox Developer

Hey folks, we had success today. We got the display working and the binary booting. Music playback works as well.

Left is mostly buttons (none work in SVN, but all except the scrollwheel are worked out) and backlight brightness (very very low as of now).

Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
Hey folks, we had success today. We got the display working and the binary booting. Music playback works as well.

Left is mostly buttons (none work in SVN, but all except the scrollwheel are worked out) and backlight brightness (very very low as of now).
thats great news!!! cant wait..

Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Rockbox Developer

There seems to be 2 different types of displays, so far we have only one working.

I have uploaded a patched bootloader so you can help us detecting if there is another type: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...4225#msg164225

To recover after patching, simply keep power button pressed for 20 seconds, then hold the left button, press power to turn it on normally, plug on USB and unzip the unmodified Original Firmware (link is in the rockbox thread)

Like kugel said buttons do not work and screen brightness is very very poor so do not expect to play with rockbox yet (but soon I hope )

Last edited by funman; 03-27-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: late night posting = missing words in sentences ..

Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 PM

This is great news! I love hearing a break through like this. With the v1 clip now much more stable then ever before and the v2 clips now more usable and seeing now the v2 Fuze where it's at now just makes me all giddy. Thanks funman for the update.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 AM

yeah, I'm pretty stoked about this: I just cannot stand using my Fuze V2 - interface is rubbish, controls are shards of trash, and the low level hiss, usually not that annoying, is compounded because of rubbish, rubbish GUI system, lack of gapless, and shoddy file system support.

Great news to hear that Rockbox is progressing - thank you!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=shigzeo;456652] I just cannot stand using my Fuze V2 - interface is rubbish, controls are shards of trash, and the low level hiss, usually not that annoying, is compounded because of rubbish, rubbish GUI system, lack of gapless, and shoddy file system support.

[QUOTE]

Mind you, I would Rockbox as well, but...in the meantime, might I suggest you get a good set of headphones, kick back and listen to the nice sounds that come from the Fuze 2?

Last edited by leavenfish; 03-30-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 AM

O boy this some exciting news, was considering the new cowon but if the sansa gets rockboxed looks like it gonna be the best audiophile player on the market.