android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Default X-Fi screen blanking suddenly, have to rebuild index often

Hey there

After two ZV:M (both had broken screens..) I bought an X-Fi 32gb earlier this year. After a few months the case cracked on the screen, so the screen is just fine but the clear plastic on it is cracked in two places now. I can live with that, probably my own fault as I take it with me to construction and renovation type jobs every day so it gets banged.

Now a month ago it so happened that I was listening to something and it stopped all of a sudden. Screen goes black, backlight is still on and the green light at the side of the player too. When I reset the player it would start to rebuild the index and then blank again after 100%. Running the clean up routine from the recovery helped and it finally finished rebuilding the index.

If it was just once it'd be fine, but it's doing it almost every day now. And even the clean up option from recovery doesn't always help, it'll often take five times to complete the index rebuild. If I'm just listening to one audio book, which usually take more than a dozen hours to finish it'll be just fine but switching albums is a perilous task. Starting to play a new album is often the time the X-Fi blanks and I have to start doing the recovery grind.

Sounds like a hardware failure to me, but I'm asking just in case it happened to anyone else...so, how did you fix this? I'm not under warranty, bought it from eBay used.

I'm thinking of getting a regular Zen 32gb, as the Wi-Fi options in the X-Fi are totally useless and the controls are not as good the regular old Zen. The player travels with me and gets knocked and banged every now and then at work, so no $300 touch screen stuff for me. ZVM is fine but it's heavier and the screens don't seem to last in my "gentle" care.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruoska View Post
Now a month ago it so happened that I was listening to something and it stopped all of a sudden. Screen goes black, backlight is still on and the green light at the side of the player too. When I reset the player it would start to rebuild the index and then blank again after 100%. Running the clean up routine from the recovery helped and it finally finished rebuilding the index.

If it was just once it'd be fine, but it's doing it almost every day now. And even the clean up option from recovery doesn't always help, it'll often take five times to complete the index rebuild. If I'm just listening to one audio book, which usually take more than a dozen hours to finish it'll be just fine but switching albums is a perilous task. Starting to play a new album is often the time the X-Fi blanks and I have to start doing the recovery grind.

Sounds like a hardware failure to me, but I'm asking just in case it happened to anyone else...so, how did you fix this? I'm not under warranty, bought it from eBay used.

I've had that problem frequently. The only solution that worked for me:
1) go in recovery mode choose Format all
2) in recovery mode choose Clean up
3) in recovery mode choose Reboot
4) reload the firmware using your computer