android
Old 11-14-2009, 05:20 PM

Default NWZ-S639FB : Turning it off

Can anybody tell me if it's possible to turn an NWZ-S639FB off completely please?

According to the manual:

If you press and hold the OPTION/PWR OFF button, the screen turns off and the player enters standby mode. If you press any button while the player is in standby mode, the “Now Playing” screen, etc., appears and the player is ready for operation. Furthermore, if you leave the player in standby mode for about a day, the player turns completely off automatically.

which is all very well, but it means if you put it into standby mode and stick it in your pocket, the buttons are going to get accidentally pressed and it'll keep switching back on. Now you can obviously use the Hold switch, but you'll still get the 'On hold...' screen lighting up every time a button is inadvertently pressed.

So is there a way to really switch it off (without having to wait a day!)?

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

It's always on or instant-on. It's only after about 24 hours of non-use that it powers down, and even then it boots up as soon as a button is pressed.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
It's always on or instant-on. It's only after about 24 hours of non-use that it powers down, and even then it boots up as soon as a button is pressed.
Thanks, that was the conclusion I'd come to as well. That's really bizarre! I wonder why they haven't implemented a complete switch off?

Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

I don't know but it didn't seem to affect battery-life adversely. When I had my S639 it never ran out and I liked the instant-on feature. My P3 takes a little while to boot up and my Clip+ takes longer.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I don't know but it didn't seem to affect battery-life adversely. When I had my S639 it never ran out and I liked the instant-on feature.
Are we really all in so much of a hurry that we need to save a few seconds though?

I wonder if it may be because of the dual use of the OPTION button? If you were to accidentally hold it down too long you'd switch the player off, at least this way you can instantly retrieve the situation.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I like the instant-on too.
With the S545 it's on standby for four hours before it shuts down completely. After that, it takes a little longer , but never more than 5 or 6 seconds, even with 2,149 songs on it. And the hold switch is fine during the stand-by period- certainly saves it from turning all the way back on.

I've never run it below an indicated 25% charge, even listening to it at work at near max volume, then falling asleep with it on low volume running it all night.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
With the S545 it's on standby for four hours before it shuts down completely.
Four hours seems more sensible to me. I wonder why they decided to extend it to a day on the S639?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 AM
Banned

If it's not perceptibly running the battery out, why have it off at all? That's one thing I miss about the Sony. Booting up the Clip+ and searching through the 3268 tracks just isn't as easy.

Give me a 64Gb A series that's always on.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 11-15-2009 at 06:10 AM.