android
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Battery Replacement

I notice that BestBuy no longer carries the replacement battery for the Pilot. I suppose buying an old unit on ebay would suffice for awhile, but it's not as good a solution as a new battery, and as a source the batteries in those units will become a worse solution over time.

It's inconceivable to me that the same battery isn't used in other devices. I tried to track down a source through a web search but had no luck. Maybe someone will be more successful and post the results here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-08-2009, 10:39 PM

eBay has replacement batteries for the pilot. Not sure if it is refurbished or new though. It is cheaper than buying a new player. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/INSIGNIA-MP3-BATT...d=p3286.c0.m14

My Reviews

Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 AM

I don't know if there is a company producing new batteries for the Pilot, probably not. The problem as I see it is the batteries lose capacity over time so even if you can pick up an original Pilot battery the capacity will have diminished. I know when I buy a cell phone battery for my older phone I look for someone producing replacement batteries so I can get a fresh one rather than an original battery that has been sitting on the shelf for a year or two.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Wow, How did I miss that section on ebay? If the batteries do have a shelf life, then in the case of the Pilot there may not be that much difference between having a replaceable battery vs. tying the life of the unit to the life of the battery. But I'll buy one, put it in the fridge, and post back in three years with the results.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:49 PM

From the Li-ion wiki... battery with 100% charge loses 20% capacity per year at room temp, only 4% per year if stored at 40% charge. The refrigerator is a good idea, drastically reducing loss of capacity. I have not looked to see if a third party is producing any Pilot batteries... don't expect so.

Li-ion life cycle is not real good and I don't imagine the Pilot batteries were manufactured to the highest standards which only compounds the problem.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Default I found a source of NEW inexpensive but high-quality replacement batteries

Great news to all Insignia Pilot lovers! I found a source of NEW inexpensive but high-quality replacement batteries for only $6.75 U.S. + $6.99 shipping!

I found them on EBay from a seller named "grade_a_battery". Thie specs on the battery are as follows:

Rechargeable Li-ion Polymer Battery Pack

Compatible for INSIGNIA NS-4V24, NS-8V24 battery

Part Number : E4H04-1-R
Type : Li-ion Polymer
Capacity : 560 mAh
Voltage : 3.7 V.
Color : Black.
This Item status : Brand new. 12 months warranty.
The product has passed the international attestation of ISO9001, RoHS & CE Certificate

His current store listing on EBay can be found at:

http://myworld.ebay.com/grade_a_battery/

Once there, search his "items for sale" for Insignia, or, you can try the following link (it's long so copy and paste it into ebay) to go directly to the battery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-for-INSIGNIA-NS-4V24-NS-8V24-E4H04-1-R-560mAh_W0QQitemZ360155741555QQihZ023QQcategoryZ506 03QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo %3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26ps%3D63

Note: I just bought one and though it's just a bit larger than the original Pilot's battery, it does fit though very tightly AND I found that I now get 20-25hrs. of play time on a fully charged battery!

How can you beat that!!!

Keep in mind the above "direct link" to the battery might change over time so if it doesn't work, go to the seller's store and search for it.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM

Well I haven't looked at this thread since shortly after I started it, but I'm glad I checked it tonight. I bought two replacements listed on ebay from the seller "$$$$$saver" and one was leaking so I had to send it back (actually they said to keep it and sent a replacement so no hassle there). Performance definitely is not 20 hours though.

If you google the product number from the ebay store ad in the previous post, "E4H04-1-R", you will also find this link to a source in Canada:
http://www.piloshop.ca/index.php?mai...ucts_id=480165. Price is in the same ballpark, shipping might be cheaper and this source might not disappear as fast as the ebay Hong Kong store. I think as long as you have the product number you should be able to find a replacement online, but if you need one three years from now it's doubtful that the one you get will have been stored in the retailer's refrigerator!

drkoraf has made a real discovery here.

OT to moderator: please consider changing the login scheme for Anything But iPod so that Firefox can remember the user name and PW.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofi View Post
OT to moderator: please consider changing the login scheme for Anything But iPod so that Firefox can remember the user name and PW.
??? I use Firefox and it remembers my password and username OK. You might want to check your settings.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofi View Post
...OT to moderator: please consider changing the login scheme for Anything But iPod so that Firefox can remember the user name and PW.
Did you make sure to check 'Remember me' before you logged in? Because if you didn't then that could be your problem.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 PM

No, Remember Me is the site setting a cookie, and in general I routinely clean most of them them out, but FF's ability to remember a login is a different issue not related to cookies.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator

I'd check Tools> Options> Remember Passwords>, and see if ABI is listed among your exceptions.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Well it could possibly be some quirk in my setup if you are getting the boxes pre-filled before you logon to the site and I'm not.

The username and PW were listed but since they aren't working I deleted them and logged out. When I logged back in Firefox went through the Remember Password routine and I saved it, but when I logged out and then logged in, the boxes were still empty. The feature works on almost all websites but there are a few exceptions.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks to all in this Thread, It has helped alot in my expedition for a replacement battery, and the sole reason for finding this forum in which I agree with %100.

From day one I didnt like Ipods so tis right up my alley.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM

Default My pilot powers on when plugged in

but will not power on when uplugged. Is that the battery?

Last edited by deucesup; 12-21-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: email notification