android
Old 11-29-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Wireless music in car?

Hi guys, just one quick question. The P3 has Bluetooth, but does it have the ability (maybe the car comes into play too) to play music wirelessly via Bluetooth connected to the car? The car is a Mercedes-Benz B200 that our family will be purchasing soon. It's been bugging me, but I've always been amazed at how cool it'd be to be able to play music without any annoying clutter of the cables.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM

Well, sorry to tell you, but I'm not 100% sure about this subject. However, I think, since you can connect the P3 to regular Bluetooth speakers and play music, it should work for car speakers as well. (As long as they have Bluetooth, of course)

Old 11-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Next time I go testdrive the car, I'll be sure I'll bring along the P3 that I'll be buying, and test it out.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

My wife uses her Iphone's bluetooth in her car to play music. Yes, it will work. However, it's a weak connection, so you will often get static, similar to a FM transmitter. Aux cable is the way to go, IMO.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Would USB be even better, since that particular model has the optional Media Interface (USB, iPod adaptor, AUX) installed on it.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, a USB connection would be better. For devices that your PC can access and play files off of without itunes or the Zune software, most cars with USB will find and sort media files they find on a device and let you control and play those songs using the car's controls. Bluetooth's advantage is that there are no wires needed, and control remains with the device. USB helps that device stay charged though, and sound quality "should" be a bit better.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
USB helps that device stay charged though, and sound quality "should" be a bit better.
Depends on the device. In any case, USB or AUX will sound better than BT. As for USB vs. AUX, depends on the device.

AUX is a line in, or a pass through. So the sound quality is basically based on your device hooked up to your car speakers. If your device has better sound quality than your car's header, then AUX will sound better than USB.

For USB, the sound quality is based on the header's quality, since the header is playing the files, not the MP3 player. But yea, in either case, they'll sound better than BT.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 AM

I find that the P3 sounds rather good through Aux. I use one of those tape adapters since my car isn't fancy or new.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion with a navigation system that includes Microsoft Sync. Sync allows my P3 to connect via BT, and that is the best sounding option. I tried USB, but the P3 thinks it is hooked up to a computer so it won't play music. I then tried a cable through the AUX setting but the sound was so bad (very quiet no matter how I adjusted the volume on the radio or P3) I returned the cable. Finally tried BT and it sounded great. There is a 12 speaker Sony sound system in the car and I don't notice any static or connection issues when using BT.

-JP

Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM

I use the Aux input in my car and it sounds great! Use Aux over BT everytime!

Headphones:Sennheiser HD 428, Monster Beats by Dr Dre Studio, Monster Beats By Dr. Dre Tour, Koss Portapro.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JP_ View Post
I have a 2010 Ford Fusion with a navigation system that includes Microsoft Sync. Sync allows my P3 to connect via BT, and that is the best sounding option. I tried USB, but the P3 thinks it is hooked up to a computer so it won't play music. I then tried a cable through the AUX setting but the sound was so bad (very quiet no matter how I adjusted the volume on the radio or P3) I returned the cable. Finally tried BT and it sounded great. There is a 12 speaker Sony sound system in the car and I don't notice any static or connection issues when using BT.

-JP
It's interesting that you state this. I have a Ford Edge, and route my player though the AUX input. It's as loud as hell and the SQ is great.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Depends on the device. In any case, USB or AUX will sound better than BT. As for USB vs. AUX, depends on the device.

AUX is a line in, or a pass through. So the sound quality is basically based on your device hooked up to your car speakers. If your device has better sound quality than your car's header, then AUX will sound better than USB.

For USB, the sound quality is based on the header's quality, since the header is playing the files, not the MP3 player. But yea, in either case, they'll sound better than BT.

This is completely true, though I have to admit that the convenience of not having wires and the 'cool' factor of bluetooth really beats out the loss of SQ in my opinion.

To actually answer the OPs question though, the B200 does have the bluetooth though all indication I get is that it supports HFP only and not the required A2DP that it would need if you wanted to play music over the speakers. Nothing I get from Google or from MB says anything explicitly about a2dp, so my recommendation is to take it and try it out :0

sassafras

Old 05-01-2010, 06:30 PM

You guys mentioned USB. Does this mean that if I have a cigarette lighter adapter that has a USB input, I can directly select and play music that way by simply connecting my P3 to it?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post
Hi guys, just one quick question. The P3 has Bluetooth, but does it have the ability (maybe the car comes into play too) to play music wirelessly via Bluetooth connected to the car? The car is a Mercedes-Benz B200 that our family will be purchasing soon. It's been bugging me, but I've always been amazed at how cool it'd be to be able to play music without any annoying clutter of the cables.

Thanks
It's very simple:
Does the car support A2DP & AVRCP....if the answer is yes then it should work period. If its only A2DP, it should work. Find the answer to that question and you have your answer.

This head unit for the B200 supports A2DP:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-B2...-/170402394796
Does yours look like this?

Last edited by pgh1969pa; 05-01-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji_cabinx View Post
You guys mentioned USB. Does this mean that if I have a cigarette lighter adapter that has a USB input, I can directly select and play music that way by simply connecting my P3 to it?
No, that wouldn't work. If your radio would have a usb input, then it would work with your P3-usb-cable.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM

I see... thanks!
I guess it's time to sell the many iPod FM adapters I own and buy one for my new P3!!