android
Old 12-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Default Downsizing videos easily?

Hi all, I have some videos already on my computer that I would like to copy to my P3 when I get one, but the thing is is that they're about 700MB each. I'm sure it could play them at the resolution they're at (which I have no idea), but I want to find a program that will easily downsize them to a smaller, more compatible resolution that I know will work and will give me a smaller file size. Does anyone know of a program that will easily do this?

Note: I already have the files on my computer, and I'm on Linux.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM

For windows, there's always winff, but for linux, you might want to try kino etc. maybe a bit too much for your needs but gets the job done.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM

I'll try winff. I forgot to mention that I'm also running XP in a virtual machine.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Handbrake has a native Ubuntu and Fedora option, as well as Windows and Mac versions. most people only think that Handbrake is for ripping DVDs but its also a great video converter. all you would have to do is select the iPod Touch pre-set, open your video file, and click start

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM

I'll try Handbrake. Actually, I'll just do it right now, since my Fuze (surprisingly) has some space available and I've wanted to put a movie on there for a while.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM

I am a great avidemux fan. With it your can get partial conversion with A-B start-to-end points. That's great to convert TV shows recordings coming from a PVR. The video filters (color, sharpening, etc) are also quite easy to use.
What is even better is that you can add your favorites conversions settings to the menu (every conversion is a javascript instructions suite). There is an amazing standard script you can use as a template to calculate the black bars in order to always get a fixed final geometry (like 320x240px for me) whatever your source movie image ratio. This could be an interesting feature for you Unanimated.

But, I can't get a working x264 mp4 for my Sony Walkman from avidemux.

About Handbrake, I still have to try it as DVD converter, but the ipod profiled x264 mp4 files it creates are fine for my Sony. I must just add that Handbrake is not very stable on my openSUSE/KDE4 machine. Sometimes it crashes, sometimes it leaves a ghost window in my taskbar after I close it.

[off topic]
@Unanimated: Do you use your P3 as a MTP device ?
[/off topic]