android
Old 12-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Default Can the E series be used as MSC on windows?

Hi! I've read here that the sony E series work with linux. I guess that means it appears as a MSC device in linux.
I know it usually it usually shows up as MTP on windows but can it made to appear as MSC? can you just copy the mp3 files as you would on a regular pendrive?
I haven't been able to find a clear response to this.
Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM

I don't have any experience with Linux or with the E series, but I didn't have any problems changing my S639 to connect as an MSC device in Windows XP SP3. There are no settings on the player to choose MSC or MTP, but by choosing a USB driver in the Windows Device Manager it connected via MSC just fine. I would guess that all of the Walkmans operate the same way. For specific instructions, see post #16 in this thread.

A plus side to connecting via MSC is that the ID3 "year" tag correctly transfers when drag-n-dropped (the "year" tag is left blank when drag-n-dropped via MTP) and you can edit your media files while they are still on the player. The downside to MSC is you have to use the "Safely Disconnect Hardware" icon in the taskbar to disconnect the player from the PC (a minor inconvenience, but worth it).

Matt

Tags
msc, sony e series