android
Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Default repair possible for cracked screen

Hi,

i've been a total dumbass and while competing in a major snowball fight i fell down on right on my spinn resulting in a very nice crack in my screen. There is nothing with the amoled panel, but the touch is gone because it's all cracked. Is there a cheap way to repair it? Or is it somewhat hopeless?

thx in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unless you bought an extended warranty, your chances of getting the Spinn fixed are extremely thin.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:58 PM

just ordered a new player, i'll try the cowon s9, however, i still love iriver, but they are hard to find in Europe in a decent store.

but thanks to all people on this forum for the help and support for the spinn

Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I doubt an extended warranty would have covered that.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM

I guess if you find someone with a Spinn and another issue that they're willing to part with, you can buy that and use the screen to replace yours.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:49 AM

yes, i could. But i don't know anyone who has a Spinn but me, and i'm not that handy in things like that anyway. So i bought another player, the easy way :-)
but thanks for the advice, maybe i'll repair him when i get the oppertunity

Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
yes, i could. But i don't know anyone who has a Spinn but me, and i'm not that handy in things like that anyway. ...
Or you could always sell yours for parts ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM

since it still can play music if keep it as a reserve for the moment, and for listening while i am in the car ;-)

Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Hello Disguise

Some people might get frustrated by me saying this here,
but back in July I did the same exact thing! ( well besides the snowball fight lol ) i cracked my screen, and the screen shut off completely. It still worked, i knew, because it vibrated when using the spinn wheel. So i called Iriver support to have it repaired, and the estimate was $100 at least to replace just the screen!

That was the last straw for me. I recieved my Spinn that February, and there was not a day where I did not regret buying that awful device. The software is awful, along with the firmware updates. The themes suck! ( with no offense to the theme designers, because its not there fault, Spinn just has horrible flash support ) Iriver support was a joke, and the list can go on, trust me..

So my advice, is drop the device, and browse around to your likings, and pick up another player. I picked up the Cowon S9 and I am completely 100% satisfied and amazed!! It is so fun to play around with, its so much more beautiful in person (it is not as fat as it looks at all), it also has an AMOLED screen, the touch is more responsive, the themes are incredible to say the least, and at ABI and Audiophile.net there is not a day with out updates. It just makes the experience so much better.

Anyway, i know this was alot, and you might disagree with me, but my Spinn breaking was one of the best things that happened to me. So i urge you to take advantage of the superior technology out there it deffinitely made my life just that much simpler.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaddeo View Post
Hello Disguise

Some people might get frustrated by me saying this here,
but back in July I did the same exact thing! ( well besides the snowball fight lol ) i cracked my screen, and the screen shut off completely. It still worked, i knew, because it vibrated when using the spinn wheel. So i called Iriver support to have it repaired, and the estimate was $100 at least to replace just the screen!

That was the last straw for me. I recieved my Spinn that February, and there was not a day where I did not regret buying that awful device. The software is awful, along with the firmware updates. The themes suck! ( with no offense to the theme designers, because its not there fault, Spinn just has horrible flash support ) Iriver support was a joke, and the list can go on, trust me..

So my advice, is drop the device, and browse around to your likings, and pick up another player. I picked up the Cowon S9 and I am completely 100% satisfied and amazed!! It is so fun to play around with, its so much more beautiful in person (it is not as fat as it looks at all), it also has an AMOLED screen, the touch is more responsive, the themes are incredible to say the least, and at ABI and Audiophile.net there is not a day with out updates. It just makes the experience so much better.

Anyway, i know this was alot, and you might disagree with me, but my Spinn breaking was one of the best things that happened to me. So i urge you to take advantage of the superior technology out there it deffinitely made my life just that much simpler.
i don't disagree at all, got a S9 for about a month now. And it is great :-) But I still like iriver for their style, however as you say, Cowon is better in their follow -up of the productline and the support. Maybe a tip for people who want to try something else besides iriver when they are searching for a next player

Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM

LOW DOWN DIRTY FIX FOR THIS ISSUES
DISCLAIMER: YOU HAVE TO BE A LOW DOWN AND DIRTY PERSON (Like me , hence the nick)
Formula:
1. Call Iriver tech support.
2 tell them that for some reason the touch screen is not working.
3. they will give you a rma number after you send in the reciept via email.
a. If your warranty has expired, change the date in the email.
4. Send in the Spinn, but put in in a non padded envelope, I.E mail it with Zero padding and packing material.
5. When the device shows up, your RMA details will say that your touch screen is broken, but the way you sent it will make it hard for them to prove that it was not damaged in shipping. They will have to err on the side of caution and send you a replacement.
6. One of the accepted\ expected problems with RMA'ing devices is how the device is shipped. Most people don't know how to ship stuff, the Idea of "properly padded" varies from person to person. one man's 6" of packing material is another man's "just put it in an envelope, it's already broken anyway.." Iriver makes the mistake of not EXPLICITLY STATING THAT SHIPPING A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT without using x amount of packing material will void the warranty\rms. They just say 'ship it back ' in thier instructions.

By the way, I owned an Iriver E100, put it in my pocket ,with my keys in said pocket. Took out the E100 and OMG! the keys had broken the screen. not punctured it the screen was shattered. So I called them up and thus my formula was created, tested and proven to work.
my final thought is this:"if they don't approve the replacement, they just send it back to you."

Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM

dirty it is but worth a try when i'm feeling bad on society ;-)

Old 04-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Default my screen is broken

please help me.my spinn screen got broken when i put it in my pocket.is it possible tht my screen can be fixed by iriver?am in africa zambia,my brother bought it for me when he visted Asia.help me please.mym email is generalwrld***********