android
Old 12-24-2009, 02:22 AM

Default Custom album art for Linux users of Zen X-fi

Linux users may have noticed that there is no way to add custom album art to MP3's in Amarok 2 and Banshee, at least using the menu options. There is a workaround for this in Banshee. Find a suitable JPEG, e.g. an image of a composer. The format needs to be square or it can be resized in GIMP. Save the image with the name $artist-$album (no punctuation or spaces and lower case) into your $HOME/.cache/album-art folder. For instance, if the "artist" is Purcell, Henry and the album is Dido and Aeneas the name of the JPEG needs to be purcellhenry-didoandaeneas.jpg The album art will now appear against the album in your Banshee music collection. Now drag and drop the album onto your Zen X-fi in Banshee and the album art will be transferred to the Zen. This call all be done relatively quickly, especially if you are in Firefox and you do a Save as into your album-art folder. Tested on SUSE Linux 11.2.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 AM

still, if you have to do this for every song, its sounds like a hassle

Old 12-24-2009, 02:38 AM

You can download album art in Banshee using Tools -> Covert art -> Download cover art. The workaround is for albums where that hasn't worked. It's not too bad if you have many songs per album

Old 12-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I see it's a Banshee plugin but I can't see where the covers are from.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_in_linux View Post
You can download album art in Banshee using Tools -> Covert art -> Download cover art. The workaround is for albums where that hasn't worked. It's not too bad if you have many songs per album
I get it now. It just seems like programs should come with a custom aart thing. that's like essential

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Exaile has the ability to retrieve album art as well, from last.fm. However, I don't think it has the ability to write it to the ID3 tags. For that, you'll need Easytag. However, Easytag has some bizarre issues if the song in question already has ID3v2.4 tags. My personal favorite solution is to reach across the street and run MP3Tag from within Wine.

Tags
album art, linux, zen x-fi