android
Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 AM

Default How do get copied music to show up?

Working with a brand new XF2, I tried copying a directory of WAV files over, but I couldn't get them to show up in the player. I moved the directory into the e-folder, in case the location mattered, but they still didn't show up in the list of tracks.

How do I get this to work? The user manual is a POS that does a poor job of giving any detail about the player, so I feel like I'm floundering here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

From the technical info I found at Creative.com, Audio formats supported include:

MP3, WMA (DRM9), WAV (IMA-ADPCM) Audible4, AAC4, FLAC4.

Now we know WAV files should play. On mine using Windows Media Player to sync them, all music files ended up in folders inside the Music folder.

Your WAV files may not have any identifing info in them the Z-Fi2 can use to sort them by. Once you've tapped on MUSIC scroll down and pick "All tracks" for a list of everything the player found. If your WAV files aren't in there then either the player didn't find them, didn't consider them music files, or you have errors in them.

I hope that helps. Good luck getting them to play.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
From the technical info I found at Creative.com, Audio formats supported include:

MP3, WMA (DRM9), WAV (IMA-ADPCM) Audible4, AAC4, FLAC4.

Now we know WAV files should play. On mine using Windows Media Player to sync them, all music files ended up in folders inside the Music folder.

Your WAV files may not have any identifing info in them the Z-Fi2 can use to sort them by. Once you've tapped on MUSIC scroll down and pick "All tracks" for a list of everything the player found. If your WAV files aren't in there then either the player didn't find them, didn't consider them music files, or you have errors in them.

I hope that helps. Good luck getting them to play.
I was having this problem too (not that I noticed until I read this thread - ha ha ha) and this was very helpful. Problem sorted, thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Right. The X-Fi2, like all of its Zen predecessors (and most MP3 players in general) use metadata embedded in the files to index the media in order to properly list them by artist, album, genre, etc. Most container formats (MP3, WMA, AAC, etc) use ID3 (or derivative thereof) at their metadata format. However, WAV is not a container format, and so has no suitable metadata format. Without metadata, the player can not index these files, and so they only show up in "All Tracks".