android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi2

Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Black and white scrambled picture when trying to t.v out for my x-fi2..

Anyone else having this issue? i'm using a tested 3 rd party cable and have my old vision m cables.. tried plugging different cables in differnt colours yet still no help!!! Can anyone shed anylight on this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Ive tried both the ntsc setting and teh pal setting same thing!!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like you have the wrong cables. You can get one made specifically for the X-Fi2 for about $14 from amazon.com. I've got several cable that look the same, but they are all wired differently. If you're in the U.S. use the NTSC setting.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 PM

These are teh cables that i know quite a few people used...plus i know other peole who have used teh vision m wires to make it work ..!!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

All I can say is that I have the cable I linked to and it works fine on my X-Fi2.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 AM

Ohh i see did you have to set anything ??aAny internal settings or such??

Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Samsung Moderator

WTF! Both Samsung and Nokia cables do not work! We are obliged to buy a specific Creative cable whereas it should be the same?!
This mp3 player is really bad and that problem only underlines my opinion

Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 AM

I don't get it what's the fuss...

I have some cheapo cables with gold plated connectors....

One side is 3.5mm stereo plug next is 3 outs [ audio & video]

Mine works without a hitch picture quality is perfect as well.

Surprisingly this cable works for my Zen Vision M as well!

And just coz the video cables don't work for y'all doesn't make this player "bad"

Last time I checked, players like Cowon [S9,D2] etc. forced you to buy proprietary cables for TV-Out

Ohh and the Samsung P3, R0 don't even have a TV out feature...only the R1 has it as far as I know!

Old 01-02-2010, 03:51 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluedream View Post
I don't get it what's the fuss...

I have some cheapo cables with gold plated connectors....

One side is 3.5mm stereo plug next is 3 outs [ audio & video]

Mine works without a hitch picture quality is perfect as well.

Surprisingly this cable works for my Zen Vision M as well!

And just coz the video cables don't work for y'all doesn't make this player "bad"

Last time I checked, players like Cowon [S9,D2] etc. forced you to buy proprietary cables for TV-Out

Ohh and the Samsung P3, R0 don't even have a TV out feature...only the R1 has it as far as I know!
I have a long experience with mp3/mp4 players, and I tell you this player is a shame, particularly the touch screen. I even do not understand how they can sell it as it. Ok it's very cheap, that's the only point. Otherwise there is no reason to buy such a mp3 player.
So it's not bad just because of the TV out, but bad for many other reasons you will see in my gmp3 review coming soon, and the problem of the TV out cable just reinforces my opinion.

Samsung R1 and M1 have a TV out. Whatever the cable you use (generic, Nokia, Samsung), it works.

Creative was a huge brand in the past, making some fabulous mp3 players like the Zen Vision:M but that's definitely over. That's it.

The Zen X-Fi 2 is 2 years late compared with the other touch screen players.

Last edited by lebellium; 01-02-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't see the big issue. The touch screen isn't perfect, but I don't have the slightest issue doing anything on the player(with the recent firmware update). The video has good quality both on board and TV-Out, and the music sound great with the supplied headphones and speaker out(which is louder than most).

You listed nothing(besides the touch screen but you only generalized it) that makes this player a shame. Please show me a better touch screen mp3 player for the same price that has something that warrants the more cash.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Samsung Moderator

Have you ever tried another mp3 player?

What's bad:
-touch screen sensibility (I can't imagine how it was before the latest firmware!!!)
-slow interface
-only tag navigation
-bad microSD integration
-Bad EQ and Xfi totally useless and bad
-Bad volume control
-Bad video quality (but have you ever tried another mp3 player?!!!)
-No tactile control (play? pause? prev? next? volume?)
etc etc...

That's the worst mp3 player I've ever reviewed after the Samsung CP3.

For the same price, do not buy a touch screen player or spend some more bucks for a Samsung P3!
Creative is lucky I'm not in touch with them! If it was Samsung I would have sent a destructive email to the R&D.
I don't like being made fun of by a brand

Last edited by lebellium; 01-02-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 AM

Yes, this is my third mp3 player and first touch although I have used an iPod Touch.

I guess it's all apart of what exactly you need. Skip to the bottom if you don't feel like reading.

-The touch screen work just fine for me. Not sure if you haven't calibrated it or I just have an easier time using it.
-I'm simple I suppose. Artist, song name: What else do I need to find a song? Usually I have made playlists that match what I'm doing so I never have to touch the player.
-What integration? To be honest I don't mind it this way. A lot of my friends have MicroSD slots on their phones with music that I just import. I also use my own card for videos only while the player works for just music. Again for the way I use it, it's a non issue.
-I notice a difference, albeit not a big one but I like the way I have it set now(6 hours of tuning later ;P).
-Whats wrong with it?
-You must be using the Creative Central to convert, the quality is actually very good.
-Refer to the part where I say I use playlists.

Again, for me, this player works great and fits exactly to how I use it. Just because it doesn't do what you want doesn't make it the "worst mp3 player".

Old 01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Samsung Moderator

I'm not reviewing for me but for the largest audience possible, including very demanding people.

I have to admit if it was my first mp3 playr maybe I would have been satisfied but once you tried good mp3 players (Samsung, Cowon and Sony) this is impossible.
Even my Samsung P2 of 2007 is better. Creative is very late regarding touch screen players. This player would have been average in 2007 and is totally out today.

-it's not a question of calibration but sensibility due to the sensitive (instead of capacitive) technology probably
-the choice between tag and folder navigation is the minimum somebody needs. Do you really think most people have their songs well tagged? They do even not know what a id3tag is.
-internal and external memories do not merge in the music library like a Cowon D2 or a Sansa Fuze.
-there is a difference of course, and that's the problem: xfi doesn't sound natural contrary to DNSe and BBE+ and both xfi and EQ are popping.
-You have to push twice on the screen and that is not accurate at all
-But do you know the screen resolution? Did you see the brightness? Contrast?

I understand some people like you are not demanding but thinking like that get us nowhere.
To compare and review mp3 players we have to use objective points.
And all what I said are objective cons. I did not say the interface is beautiful or ugly. That's subjective.

And the goal is not to find the cheapest mp3 player but the best quality-price ratio. And that is a fact: Zen X-Fi 2's one is bad. Samsung P3 or Cowon S9 are worth it even if they are more expensive.
And I'm not the single one to think that. All mp3 players experts that I know and have tried the Zen XFi 2 think the same:
All touch screen players on the market are objectively better: Samsung R1, P3, M1, Cowon S9, D2, iRiver Spinn, Sony X1050. That's the point! Actually I even asked my whole family and my friends to test it (no one is acknowledgeable in mp3 players) and they all find it hard to use.
I'm sorry for Creative. They made very good players in the past but now they only play bit parts.

Last edited by lebellium; 01-02-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 AM

-Resistive you mean.
-Obviously it's not the minimum.
-Hence my sarcasm.
-Natural isn't always better.
-Hold the home button.
-400x240, supports up to 640x480. Native resolution ALWAYS looks good especially when down-sampling, if not you're not converting to the best of your ability.

I didn't realize I need to be demanding to get what I want. I'll reiterate, yes generally for the high demands of "spoiled" people this mp3 player isn't very good. The only touch screen player that I found of same price was the COWON D2+ which has a smaller screen and less supported video codecs. Again for the price, capacity, features it works quite well for me.

I would recommend this player to anyone who wants a competitively priced good mp3/video player.

Edit: Looking at the S9, the higher resolution screen is the only big difference I can see. Not worth the extra $50 especially when it's only half the capacity. Doesn't it also have tag only navigation and no external card slot?

Last edited by ThievingSix; 01-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Regarding touch-screen, Yes I admit it's an issue but I've gotten used to it now (I've had the player for about 2 weeks now). Just occasionally do I have mis-presses.

I can even control it now with my eyes closed(put it on hold, unlock & play & pause) when I'm in my bed just like my Vision:M lol

ID3 tagging is the same as in the Vision:M. I can go on about it as well eg. it doesn't group artists regarding their name (The Cranberries, The Used show up in the "T" menu instead off "C" & "U") but it's same as the Vision:M which I was used too.

Still I Don't find it an annoyance as to which will make the player bad.

I've managed to play on it Xvid rips off 740x368 resolution. It plays them perfectly but still some Xvid files even with a resolution off 640x272 turn out to be jittery.

X-Fi on a whole is not great but for some songs (especially old 70's rock it does indeed sound fantastic though with the Crystalizer & Expander at 40% max. anything more than that doesn't sound right at least not to me)

Without X-Fi the sound quality is very good definitely better than Vision:M

Volume control is down to getting used to the touch screen I don't have any problems with it now. Previously yes I Used too.

You should try using a Stylus. Since you review many players I'm sure the Stylus off the Cowon D2 will work with this perfectly & you'll have more control off the screen.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the MicroSD not being integrated. My player holds all my music. My 8GB Card holds my videos. It's as simple as that!

I wouldn't ever load any music on a microSD card even if it integrated it to the library just doesn't seem right to me.

Regarding this being better than P3...I used my friends P3 for a couple of days 8 gig version.

At the time I was getting this player for the price off the P3. I went with this one.

At first I thought it was a mistake but now when I'm used to it it seems like the right choice.

My only major annoyance with this player is it cannot display "Lyrics" just wish it did that.

Other than that I have absolutely no complaints with this player now.

About Creative, Yes I admit they dropped the ball with the release off the X-Fi1. The "ZEN" flash one also didn't seem right to me it was supposed to replace the Vision:M yet it was capped to 320x240 res. videos.

With this X-Fi2 & numerous other products off theirs lined up. I must say I definitely trust them now & would recommend them to anyone without a hitch.

Even their Drivers for Vista/Win7 for their Sound Cards are upto the mark now (though I never had issues with their drivers but I know many people who did)

I really like their website. It's got a simple/clean interface with all the info. you need. Rivaled only by the Newegg/Gigabyte sites IMO.

Last edited by skybluedream; 01-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Lololol so after all this ... no one actually had anything to say to help out with the issue i posted ..lolol!!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM

See thats weird i tried my cables for teh zen visin m and they dont work with teh x fi2 either but the teh cable i bought fir the x fi 2 works with my vision m... could it be sum internal setting?? should i have sum certain settings??

Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright, guys, let's get this thread back on topic, please. The topic, last time I checked, was trying to figure out why the OP is having video trouble with a particular set of third-party cables.

Unfortunately, without knowing the exact pinout of the X-Fi2's connectors, I cannot tell you if the ZVM cables are compatible or not. There's also the matter of making sure you have the right standard set on your player (NTSC for most TV's in North America and Japan; PAL for most European sets). There's also the matter of making sure your TV is configured properly, and that you are, in fact, plugging the Z-Fi2 into a composite video input on your TV. My only suggestion is to try plugging the player into different TVs and seeing if you get anything different.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM

I believe the safest answer here is to try the cables that are being sold specifically for the XFi2.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Sorry for going out of bounds.

Regarding your cable question.

I do not have the original X-Fi2 cables. I just bought some A/V cables with a 3.5mm stereo plug at the other end from my local shop.

It works for the X-Fi2. Just that I have to connect the "red" audio-out wire in the Video socket on the TV. The "yellow" video one goes in the red socket on the TV. White stays in white.

It works perfectly fine on my TV.

The same scenario applies for the Vision:M just that in the Vision:M the "white" audio-out cable is in the video in socket on the TV.

Hope this helps you.

You can try mix-matching with your cables It should work hopefully. All the best.