android
Old 01-04-2010, 02:22 AM

Default Acquired2nd hand Zen Xtra 30gb, what do I do?

Hi, my brother's just picked up a Creative Zen Extra 30gb from ebay or something similar. It has come with no software and I am unable to access the player from any of my PCs. All of them bar one has Vista/7, so I'm concentrating on accessing it solely on a XP SP2 machine.

The player comes with firmware 1.20.08

I am trying to install firmware 2.10.03 however the update app complains there is a problem starting up the player and that I need to reboot the device. No amounting of rebooting it has any effect.

The player itself seems to work fine, it was given to my brother with a few tracks on it which play fine.

I'm also trying the software listed on this page:

http://support.creative.com/Products...me=MP3+Players

Creative ZEN and Jukebox Driver 2.01.00

Creative ZENcast Organizer 2.01.01 Suite

This installs with seemingly no complaints, however once this and the Driver is installed, nothing changes, no device is shown as connected to the XP PC. The drive itself seems to recognise it is connected to a PC (XP or Vista) as the screen shows a transfer music file image. Vista also recognises that the player is connected and tries to search for drivers. XP makes the "new device" sound when the drive is plugged in, but I can't see any way of accessing it.

Creative ZEN and NOMAD Jukebox Plugin 5.00.22 for Creative MediaSource 5 Player/Organizer

I was hoping this might be relevant, or that MediaSource might be bundled with the ZENCast Organizer, but alas this piece of software does not install.

I've tried a few guides on these forums that I can find, ones like what if the drive is only showing up as 20mb etc, to no avail, however I can't seem to find a problem that matches mine!

Thanks for any help or thoughts!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The firmware currently installed on your player is not a PlaysForSure firmware, therefore it is not presently functioning as an MTP device, but rather as a legacy NJB device. There is no support in Vista or Win7 for an NJB device at all, so you will have to find and install the older (legacy) Creative Nomad Explorer and MediaSource software on your XP machine.

I do not recommend upgrading to the PlaysForSure firmware as this has the nasty reputation of completely killing Zen Xtras (mine died this way). Instead, once you get the required software installed and get a connection established, then just leave it at that.

UNINSTALL everything you have already installed, and install the following in this order:

Driver v1.30.03
Creative MediaSource 5
Nomad/Xtra Plugin for MediaSource 5
Creative Nomad Explorer

Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 AM

The last (not PFS) firmware works fine under Windows 7.

I'm using Notmad Explorer 9.0.3 (last version) just fine.

Supports: Nomad Jukebox Zen/NX/Xtra/Touch/Micro devices.

You can find it for free around there.

I can pass the link if you need via PM.

Last edited by Gradius; 01-06-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM

any one have a copy of Notmad Explorer 9.0.3 please email me at ---attempt to circumvent the forum censor removed--- thank you

Last edited by skip252; 11-11-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: attempt to circumvent the forum censor removed

Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Administrator

---I've deleted both your attempts to circumvent the forum censor. Please don't try a workaround like that again.---

What you're looking for is copyrighted. We don't discuss how to trade copyrighted material here.

You may have missed this in the forum rules when you signed up.
Quote:
Discussion of illegally trading copyrighted material is strictly prohibited and may result in a ban.
You'll need to try to find this some other way.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM

i was not trying to get a illegal copy of the software i have went to there website and its been down forever i have bought the software some time ago it just cant find it anywhere to reinstall it on a vmware machine so i can get all of my old music from my zen player i would take an expired copy if i could find one but i have looked everywhere sir i was not trying to bend any rules sir.